Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

weight training
Quote | Reply
anyone use crossfit for their "weight training" sessions of triathlon training?
wondering if I should incorportate this type of "gym" work or use a basic program like chest/back/legs on one day and arms/shoulders/core etc.
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brosemail,

If Tri is still your priority, the extremes of Crossfit on one end and the Frankenstein split you described at the other night veer you away from your goal.

The two methods I'd recommend looking into would be Easy Strength or Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. Both are ebooks but you can get the gist behind them through googling, lots of relevant articles.

Both promote the idea of getting as strong as possible with minimum time investment, while leaving you fresh for your sport-specific training. I've used the ES principles with a couple of age groupers and it seems to be working. One went from being chronically injured to a 10:35 at his first IM at Whistler this year. It's definitely worth checking out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would focus on getting as much weekly S/B/R training in as possible before resorting to weights. That said, I had great luck with the Ironstrength video (a few people recommended it to me on here). It kicks my ass but not enough to compromise my training. Plus it did wonders for my running strength. It's all isotonic, plyometric and weights.
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the iron strength video the one on you tube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there's a short version on YouTube, but I use the 50 minute version (not sure if it's on there or not).
Quote Reply