Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages Power Meter
Quote | Reply
Recently bought a stages power meter 172.5 ultegra. Have shimano on my bike currently. Bike shop mechanic says it wont fit. Have a race in 3 weeks and use power on zwift about 3 times a week. Know it won't make a difference now to put the power meter on but would still like to have it for the week. Do I need to update my entire bike to ultegra in order to get the power meter on?

Thanks for the up
- New guy trying to race fast
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the mechanic means that the Stages won't clear the chainstay. What kind of bike is it? Most Shimano cranks use the same standard bottom bracket. You can put an Ultegra Stages on a Dura Ace crank etc.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your current crankset? Shimano 5800?
As far as I know, if it's 105, Ultegra ou Durace it should work even if it's not the same tier.

Edit: As with the post above, it also could be the chainstay or a bottom rear brake clearance, my Felt AR doesn't have clearance for a stages pm because it'll hit the brake.
Last edited by: lsousa: Sep 12, 17 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^agree. Pretty much all modern Shimano road cranks are the same. Unless the stages meter is clipping the stay (or you have an older square taper/octalink bb) then it should fit. Might not match, but should work fine.

Post pics/details of what you are working with maybe?

*edit, when you say you have shimano equipped bike, that can mean a lot of things. Many bikes are sourced with *some* shimano parts, but not a full groupset. Often the crank is one of the parts that is "specced down" to save $$

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 12, 17 3:55
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fault. Early morning post has me confused. It's a SRAM cranket set on a 2011 Trek Equinox. Number on the crankset says AL 7075
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahh, that makes sense.

No, the shimano stages won't work on that crank.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably can replace your current crank with a Shimano one, no need to replace the entire groupset. How many gears do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a 5800 crankset with a 6800 crank arm for over a year with no issues. Only needed a wavy washer due to my bb cups.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a photo is attached if this helps.. thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/kjbfL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://support.stagescycling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/1000137517-how-can-i-find-out-if-my-bicycle-is-compatible-with-the-stages-power-meter-

Take a look at the link. maybe it is the clearance issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
My fault. Early morning post has me confused. It's a SRAM cranket set on a 2011 Trek Equinox. Number on the crankset says AL 7075

You will need a new Shimano crankset and bottom bracket to make the Stages work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, from what I could find that is a SRAM Rival 10 speed crankset, and you'll need a shimano to use your stages crank arm.
As far as I know, you can use an 11-speed crankset with your current groupset, so you can buy an Ultegra 6800 for less than 200$ if you care of matching your stages arm, or 105 5800 Groupset for less than <150$. If you want to spend even less, you might find an used Shimano 105 5700 crankset for cheap.

That said, you'll still need to change your bottom bracket or get an adapter (ask your mechanic). But that's it, bottom bracket + crankset and you can use your Stages, you don't need to change all the groupset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, as someone who wrenches on bikes, it amazes me that your bike mechanic wasn't able to give you enough information so that you could figure this out before having to post here. Alternatively, you just didn't listen to their advice, but I'm just going to go with the original statement here.

Did they just look at it and tell you to buy a new crankset? Did they suggest buying just a 105 crankset and BB and going a little cheaper? Did they just stare at you with a blank face and shake their head? From what you said in the post, all I can surmise is that they told you to upgrade everything just because they wanted to make a few bucks.

P.S. The 105 crankset and BB option will work just fine and be the cheapest way to go. Other than you buying a GXP stages in the first place, but that's for another day..,
Quote Reply