Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ISM saddle on CX bike
Quote | Reply
anyone running an ism saddle on there cross bike? was gonna run mine but have never seen anyone running them

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle on CX bike [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a Podium on mine most of the year for gravel mode. I just took it off to throw a Power back on now that actual CX season is here. I find it easier to move around the bike with a shorter saddle on. I'm never pedaling low or long enough during actual CX that the shape matters.

I see a couple of them in the CHI CX series, but it's certainly not common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a great choice for a cross bike, IMO.

A long nose gives more room for error on remounts, and more padding is good for absorbing the bumps.
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle on CX bike [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
long nose? the ISM is a helluva lot shorter at 275mm than an Arione Classic at 300mm. ISM same length as an Aliante or Bontrager Montrose.

The error on remount is in not lowering the saddle 6-8mm for cyclocross from road height.

Bumps are soaked up by tires. Cross should be run on tubeless or tubular at about 3BAR or less depending on conditions.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle on CX bike [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm right with you on lowering slightly to help with remounts.

The difference between getting 'behind' an ISM vs. traditional saddles for a steep descent is noticeable. My Power is roughly 2 inches shorter overall, but the rear of the Power saddle is much further forward than with an ISM. Not having the seat in the way is kind of why dropper posts are so dang popular. No sense in making it more difficult with an extra couple inches of ISM saddle in the way. I haven't tried the mountain version of the ISM, so maybe that one doesn't stick so far back. Any hands on experience with it?

I guess OP being more specific if they plan to actually race CX or if they will primarily be doing roadie type riding would be helpful before going much further.

Most people are using 2 BAR or less, but to each their own.
Last edited by: dangle: Sep 11, 17 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so tacky. Don't do it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle on CX bike [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My CX saddle height is approx the same as road. No remount issues.
I'm not sure what you are on about nose length.. the ISM is short, not great for CX.

Bumps are soaked up by tires and the saddle too. I run my tubeless at less than 2 bar, but all my CX saddles still have more cushion than my road.
Quote Reply