Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail Run Split Times
Quote | Reply
I ran my first trail run half marathon yesterday (not very technical; some hills; on gravel) and was wondering what you would expect your splits times to be compared to an equivalent road half mary. Since this was my first longish trail run I dialled down my pacing, but near the end I did find myself more winded than I expected. Could have been a myriad of factors I suppose, but was curious to to other people's experiences. Thanks in advance!

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Run Split Times [FurnaceM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends so much on terrain, footing, surface, etc. I've done some that are 20-30 seconds slower. Others are closer to 90+ seconds. That's based on PRE and HR data over the years.

They typically take some different strength aspects into account that will fatigue you more over the course of the race.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big difference between a crushed gravel path and a single track trail plus so many other factors that could affect your pace (rocks, roots, mud, tight turns, etc). Assuming the same elevation gain/loss, your pace may vary from as little as 3-5 seconds per mile to well over a minute per mile depending on the terrain/footing.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Run Split Times [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to echo the others: for me, a trail run on flattish gravel is maybe 10-20 seconds per mile slower than road, but on some trail races I have found my pace to be 2 or 3 minutes slower than my road pace.

Mud, roots, rocks, elevation gain, ability to get traction, inability to run the downhills fast enough to make up for time lost on the ups due to quad pain, etc... best thing is to run by perceived effort or heart rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd expect my half marathon to take at least 15 minutes longer, unless the whole thing was a 10% downhill grade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Trail" was on crushed limestone with some gentle elevation changes; no huge uphills or downhills ,but there were a several hills in general.

Great feedback here; keep'em comin!

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably the simplest guide is to look at how much slower everyone else compared to their road times.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Run Split Times [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misery wrote:
.......some trail races I have found my pace to be 2 or 3 minutes slower than my road pace.

Only 2-3 minutes slower?

You must only choose pretty tame trail races.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Run Split Times [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Misery wrote:
.......some trail races I have found my pace to be 2 or 3 minutes slower than my road pace.

Only 2-3 minutes slower?

Maybe I am just awesome?

The trails here are lovely. No brutal hills, no moorland, just beautiful and muddy.

I am not climbing mountains or running 100 miles. We were talking about half marathon road versus trail. My longest trail run was 32 miles done twice (out, sleep, back), and yes it was 3 minutes off my expected road marathon pace with the fatigue thrown in.

The original question really should just have been answered with "it depends" and we should all have then avoided this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Run Split Times [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Misery wrote:

Only 2-3 minutes slower?

Pace, not total time.
Quote Reply