Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

28 grams saved
Quote | Reply
...off a HED JET 6/9 combo...I don't know, something about seeing 28 grams of weight just for stickers on a reliable scale blows my mind.

BTW, that white residue is maltodextrin, not what you think it is! Lol!

Last edited by: yrebetta: Sep 10, 17 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice saving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it fairly easy to remove those decals without damaging the fragile carbon fairings?
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is. A hair dryer makes it a lot easier. One of mine came off on a really hot ride a few summers ago. Hair dryer to melt the glue and then just peel it away.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly so actually. I was afraid of a lot of annoying work and bits and pieces and cleaning and residue and had my bottle of acetone ready, but they peeled off very easily after I left them outside in the sun for about 5 minutes. My fingernails were sufficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
...off a HED JET 6/9 combo...I don't know, something about seeing 28 grams of weight just for stickers on a reliable scale blows my mind.

BTW, that white residue is maltodextrin, not what you think it is! Lol!

28 grams = one ounce.

triathletes are funny and often obsessive creatures. what we will do or spend money on to save GRAMS, not pounds or even ounces. personally, i think this borders on silly; i believe the biggest savings are had when losing body weight. one pound = 454 grams ( a lot of wheel stickers ). that's a lot cheaper than buying high-dollar accessories / parts, and easier than peeling stickers off of race wheels.

to be honest, i'm a BOPer, so my money goes for function, not form, and certainly not for saving GRAMS !
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until someone can explain to me the performance benefits of stickers on carbon rims, I will continue to peel them off each new set of wheels I purchase.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, that's a great idea! I've built Excel charts to figure out cost per gram saved on various components, and on my bike that would have saved me $34 on a lighter crankset.

Here's another freebie worth $5:

Quote | Reply
that better be from your legs...
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your nails man. Could double that saving...
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Until someone can explain to me the performance benefits of stickers on carbon rims, I will continue to peel them off each new set of wheels I purchase.

Any recommendations on how to get the leftover glue off (off Flo wheels)? I've tried everything (soap, acetone, chain cleaner, rubbing alcohol, etc) without success.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that not all stickers are created equally - some come off easier than others - but generally, heating the rim with a hair dryer helps soften the adhesive. DON'T GO NUTS - there are at least anecdotal stories of peeps getting their carbon rims so hot that they exceed the Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) and melt/warp the rim.

With the sticker heated up, you just start peeling. Go nice and slow so the sticker is less likely to break off as you're peeling. For the residue, use Goo Gone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I've found that not all stickers are created equally - some come off easier than others - but generally, heating the rim with a hair dryer helps soften the adhesive. DON'T GO NUTS - there are at least anecdotal stories of peeps getting their carbon rims so hot that they exceed the Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) and melt/warp the rim.

With the sticker heated up, you just start peeling. Go nice and slow so the sticker is less likely to break off as you're peeling. For the residue, use Goo Gone.

Oh, the stickers are gone. The glue isn't however. So Goo Gone. Let's investigate if I can get that here in Soviet Canuckistan or if it's so full of nasty chemicals my government has deemed it necessary to protect me from myself.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in the United States of Trump, it's available on the shelf of any Home Depot and probably most outdoor/hardware stores so I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get even in your part of the world.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Here in the United States of Trump, it's available on the shelf of any Home Depot and probably most outdoor/hardware stores so I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get even in your part of the world.

amazon.ca has it, homedepot.ca lists it, I'm pretty sure I'm good. Will procure myself a bottle tomorrow.

Funny how you can live on this planet for half a century and be unaware of truly civilization-shaping inventions like this, a compound that lets you clean chewing gum off surfaces where you don't want chewing gum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Any recommendations on how to get the leftover glue off (off Flo wheels)? I've tried everything (soap, acetone, chain cleaner, rubbing alcohol, etc) without success.

Lighter fluid works quite well also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
refthimos wrote:

WD40 works every time.
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Don't forget your nails man. Could double that saving...

always makes me laugh when I see all these noobs riding around with two kidneys...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's almost half a gel!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Acetone is what we use. You'll likely need the hardware store grade. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: 28 grams saved [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Acetone is what we use. You'll likely need the hardware store grade. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.

Heh. I just used the Goo Gone this afternoon and it works, but still requires a bunch of elbow grease. And to get back to the topic of this thread: I'm sure that the weight of the glue you guys use is another 10g or so :-) :-)

Aside: if I order wheels again some time, can I get them without stickers? It's not about the weight, more about aesthetics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of a hair dryer to heat the stickers, I find that leaving the wheel in the sun for a bit does the trick. I will go outside grab the wheel, peel of the stickers on one side....turn over and repeat.

As for residue....Goo Gone worked fine, but candidly there has never been much residue when I let the sun heat up the wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
refthimos wrote:

Heh. I just used the Goo Gone this afternoon and it works, but still requires a bunch of elbow grease. And to get back to the topic of this thread: I'm sure that the weight of the glue you guys use is another 10g or so :-) :-)

Aside: if I order wheels again some time, can I get them without stickers? It's not about the weight, more about aesthetics.

You sure can. Just add a note to the order stating that you do not want stickers applied.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply