Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRM Issue post service [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is printed on the back of the SRM. Old training files should show what old slope was-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
Ah so that would explain the sticker on the inside of the SRM that was attached - it says 30.5hz/nm. I wondered what that was all about. Thanks.

As for what I'm expecting, I can push somewhere around 1000w for a few seconds in a sprint. Is the 532 that is now stored a watts value? I've done some reading around but can't say I'm overly confident in my understanding. The power meter has for the past 4 years been very consistent with it's values with no zeroing. I do CP20's on it etc etc and what it has given me season on season has been very steady.

As others have noted, the 532 is a value in Hertz (Hz). This goes back to the days when SRM sent the data from the hub to the head unit using FM (frequency modulation). It was (is) not possible to send FM data at zero Hz, so all SRM units were designed to send something around 500 Hz when they were unloaded. Then, the driving torque in N-m was modulated onto the signal using a certain gain constant (in your case, 30.5 Hz/N-m).

In today's ANT+ bike profile compatible transmitters the signalling and encoding is completely different, but SRM still uses the same terminology and units to encode their data. A zero offset of 532 Hz is completely within spec, and you should only be worried if you see drastically different values from ride to ride. It is good practice (best practice!) to do a zero offset calibration about ten to 15 minutes (or more) after you get your bike outside, to ensure that the head unit has a valid zero offset number to use for the power computation.

Most likely, your head unit is configured to allow "auto zero" which means that anytime you coast, the bike computer reads the zero offset value that the SRM is then transmitting, and stores it for future use. Unfortunately, this method is not completely foolproof and occasionally you'll get a bad zero, and consequently weird power numbers that may throw off your training or race results. This is the reason that some riders and coaches will suggest you disable auto zero - but then it is imperative that you take care of that on every ride. Your data is only as good as the effort you put into getting it.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Issue post service [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah cool, thanks for the reply. Underlying message is I'll get a bit better at doing a zero offset at the start of my rides. To my mind, the data I've gathered over the past four years has been pretty consistent - I.e I've not suddenly noticed a 100 watt pb one day etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
I've never once in 4 years of using the SRM had to do a zero offset. It has just worked. This is what I am not sure about - would anything they have done in replacing the battery and calibrating the power meter have changed things so drastically that it is now as good as not working?

You should do a zero offset before every ride. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Issue post service [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to set the edge to prompt to calibrate when the srm is detected at startup, it's under sensor details
Quote Reply

Prev Next