Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Landlords and texas and irma
Quote | Reply
I have seen a few stories where it stated that renters in homes being impacted and damaged and made uninhabitable by these events are being asked to continue to pay rent

Surely if your rental property becomes uninhabitable your insurance covers loss of income and the rental contract is voided if the living conditions are breached?

I.e. if landlord can not supply habitable accom it is breach of contract and renters can stop paying?

Is this understanding correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Landlords and texas and irma [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd tell him to sue me. I dont see how that stands up in court.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Landlords and texas and irma [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specially with a Texas jury

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the property is unusable either party van break the contract. If safe to live in while repairs are being made, tenants are responsible for continued rent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the premises are uninhabitable (truly uninhabitable, not just minor stuff) then there is no need to pay until the property is habitable. What do you mean by stories, Facebook posts or legit ones? I'm curious who is defining uninhabitable and how.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not been a landlord in a decade or so-I'm in MN

I thought that in this case the rent could be placed in escrow?
Quote Reply
Re: Landlords and texas and irma [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I'm curious who is defining uninhabitable and how.

In Houston, the courts.

But they say a renter needs to continue paying while a dispute is underway. And I imagine the City courts will be waaaaay backed up in judging habitability.

Per the site, "This means that tenants will probably need to hire an attorney to represent them."

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. People are gonna walk.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 10, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Landlords and texas and irma [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
If the premises are uninhabitable (truly uninhabitable, not just minor stuff) then there is no need to pay until the property is habitable. What do you mean by stories, Facebook posts or legit ones? I'm curious who is defining uninhabitable and how.

I've heard stories (here in California) of a major power outage happening and tenants refusing to pay rent for the days they didn't have power. You know, because without electricity the unit is uninhabitable.

And winning.

This is despite the fact that the power outage isn't the fault of the landlord and that the tenant is responsible for the electrical hookups anyway.

Fucking California. And the wizards of smart who run things here wonder why rents are so high.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Landlords and texas and irma [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a tenant whose power had been shut off due to them not paying.

They ran an extension cord down the hall to the laundry room and into there apartment where they ran the fridge, AC window unit and several lamps.

I found out that someone else called and said the hallway lights and laundry room were off, the circuit had tripped. I reset, unplugged the cord, and left a note. When they came home they wanted me to reimburse them for the spoiled food in the fridge.

Same tenant (female) was giving BJ's to the mentally challenged man across the hall for $$. I found out as he was short on the rent that month and told me the story.

Made me glad I did month to month leases--She got notice to move that day.
Quote Reply