Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Steak tartare
caviar
escargot
blood pudding

Also, phở is the freakin' bomb.

I like my english style black and white puddings. How is it that the English and the Irish are the only ones in Europe that know how to do a proper breakfast?

I went to Spain my sophomore year of high school. We were in Malaga, and we went out one evening to a spanish tavern. My Spanish teacher ordered some tapas, and one of them was birds blood pudding. The way I remember it, it tasted like english black pudding, but I always think of it when I think of exotic treats that I've had. It is probably duck or pheasant maybe and not something like Tweety.

Gnothi Seauton.
Last edited by: Ready4Launch: Sep 10, 17 20:35
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Where do you know of people eating sea lion?

Nowhere.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...does everyone out there have a proper butcher shop nearby?

We used to have two. One closed and the other turned into a deli within the same month.

Sad.

Hopefully some rich hipster will open one up soon.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Nowhere.

Oh, okay. So, the inspiration? Just annoyed from them barking while you're paddling into waves or what?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Nowhere.

Oh, okay. So, the inspiration? Just annoyed from them barking while you're paddling into waves or what?

I just picture myself stranded on an island with nothing but a leashless, green, swallow tail single fin and staining myself on kelp and baby sea Lion meat.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Nowhere.

Hundreds are taken every year in Alaska by subsistence hunters (You and I wouldn't be allowed). If you're in the right village at the right time, you might be offered some, but I never have.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd take it for sure!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Sea Lion.

Nowhere.

I just picture myself stranded on an island with nothing but a leashless, green, swallow tail single fin and staining myself on kelp and baby sea Lion meat.

Full on Robinson Crusoe veal of the sea.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cook that shit over my driftwood fire!!!!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about penguin?

I had whale when I was in Thailand, that was delicious! I felt bad ordering it but I had to try it.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
What about penguin?

I had whale when I was in Thailand, that was delicious! I felt bad ordering it but I had to try it.

I'm generally not a huge fan of bird meat. I like chicken (and my BBQ turkey is worth murdering your own mother for) but other than that....

And why feel bad about the whale. Those things are huge!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
What about penguin?

I had whale in Iceland and horse meat in Switzerland. Both were very tasty!!! I was surpised how good horse meat tasted.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a bbq on Leadbetter, tell people you're cooking a sea lion, and see how many people lose their mind! That'd be fun!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I'd take it for sure!

Some of the subsistence foods are ... interesting. I've had whale meat and muktuk (blubber), seal meat and seal oil, various forms of dried caribou and moose. All of that is fairly palatable although the marine mammals are somewhat of an acquired taste. There's also a whole class of fermented items (like mikigaq, "stink eggs", fermented seal flippers, fermented beaver tails, fermented fish heads, etc.). I've always made it a rule to stay away from that stuff!

My favorite subsistence food (by far) would be smoked Yukon king salmon strips:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had whale (minke) and puffin when we were in Iceland. So I'm all tapped out on trying new foods for a while. I've probably got some Karma stuff to sort out anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Haggis is probably top of my list.

I just had haggis for the first time. Tasted like a good meatball. Don't know if it was prepared in the most traditional way.
Quote Reply
Re: Foods you haven't eaten, but are interested to try... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We tried minke whale in Norway. Smoked it was okay otherwise not so good. I would like to try truffles. Any all sorts of wild mushrooms. With someone knowledgable picking them

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next