Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is my Kestrel 4000 SL falling apart?
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping my pics show up as I'm posting from a phone. I just noticed these cracks in the paint today after taking my rear wheel off for travel. They're not scratches from a tire. The wheels I've used in it are perfectly spaced, so the dropouts aren't being forced apart ever (what it looks like to me). I've never crashed or even dropped this bike. Any thoughts? Any seen this before and know what would cause it?

Everything is a stiff as ever and nothing creaks.

I bought the frame like new on here a couple years ago, so I'm sure no warranty since I'm not the original owner.

Last edited by: speed856: Sep 9, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Kestrel 4000 SL falling apart? [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pics showed up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to worry about these hairlines. They are mere scratches caused by debris or small rocks stuck between the rear tire and your frame.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter kim: Sep 9, 17 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On one hand, it doesn't look awesome. However that's just an appearance thing. If the part is still stiff I'd say you're ok. If they were cracks, any lateral force in the region would cause severe cracking sounds and probably move. I doubt it's from rocks on your wheel given the location, but I suspect you're ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion would be to stick the wheel back in, and have some apply pressure to the rear brake. How much movement in that crack is there as they apply pressure? If there is a sizable growth of the width of the crack then, yup the frame is toast.
Quote Reply