Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a wheel set for my Gen 2 SC 7.5. I am looking at the HED Jet+ 6 front and Jet+ Rear. However, I was wondering is there a big difference aero wise between the C2 Disc and Jet+ rear?

Also would you spend the extra money and get a barely used Zipp 404/808 front with a Super 9 Disc over the HEDS?
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the Heds.

If I remember the + is wider then the C2 allowing for wider tires and lower pressures.

I train on Ardennes + with S-Works 24mm Turbos and std tubes at 85psi and they are quick and amazingly comfy. I'm using the same frame as you for reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So really the major advantage to the Jet+ is the wider tire with lower pressures you can run, not necessarily aero?

I have a hard time justifying the price jump to the Zipps. With what I can get the Jet+ for it would have to be a massive reason for me to separate with my $$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With just about all discs, the aero difference is negligible. At that point, save the $$, get the Hed + disc over the Zipps, run a 26mm S-Works Turbo cotton in the rear, then enjoy the comfort and speed.

Also, no need to spring the extra $ for the Jet black disc. It looks cool, but that is to much breaking power in the rear IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't planning on getting the black edition. Like you said they look sweet but, I do need that amount of breaking power on my trip bike.

Why the turbo cotton over a GP4000s2 or a conti TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that the Hed 3+ might be a touch faster than the Jet 6+ on a SC. The wide forks tend to work best with a TriSpoke. The one downside might be that the H3+ might not be tubeless compatible.

The only tires to run are a Corsa TLR 23 on the front or maybe the Conti TT. Rear is the TLR 25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running a Jet 9+ up front with a SS 20, and a Jet C2 power tap disc out back with a SS23 on my 7.5 SC. I've done some pretty fast tts on low power for my size so I know the wheels are fast. I have a H3 trispoke with a SS20 but I like the way the Jet+ corners, and it rides much smoother. Some of the tts I do have a lot of turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My butt dyno tells me the Turbo cottons are faster. Could be completely wrong though. I love the way the feel out on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would guess that the Hed 3+ might be a touch faster than the Jet 6+ on a SC. The wide forks tend to work best with a TriSpoke. The one downside might be that the H3+ might not be tubeless compatible.

The only tires to run are a Corsa TLR 23 on the front or maybe the Conti TT. Rear is the TLR 25.

The H3+ is tubeless compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike the H3 is also a decent amount more $$ for little speed advantage. The non TLR would be a disadvantage as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont the H# tend be a little more sensitive to the crosswinds over the Jet+6/9?
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ridenfish39 Why did you choose the C2 disc over the Jet+?

I would go with a Jet+ 9 in the front but right now I live in NW WI. The cross winds coming down some of the hills will push the front wheel around enough to make your white knuckled!

I might be moving to Georgia in a month. If this happens I think a Jet+9 front is in my future over the Jet+6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had less trouble in a cross wind with my H3 than with my Jet 9+. That said when there is a cross wind I think the Jet is the faster wheel too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There won't be any difference between the C2 and + rear disc wheels. I might almost argue in favor of the C2 just to give you a bit more wiggle room with the rear brake.

I've been running an H3+/6 front and Jet+ disc on my SC for a while. My tires of choice are Attack 22mm front, 23mm GP TT rear. I haven't grown the "fortitude" yet to run a 20mm SS up front yet but that's likely the fastest tire choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 2 SC 7.5 best wheelset [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease, would you take an H3 front wheel over a Jet+6/9 front considering they are both TLR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
Ridenfish39 Why did you choose the C2 disc over the Jet+?

I would go with a Jet+ 9 in the front but right now I live in NW WI. The cross winds coming down some of the hills will push the front wheel around enough to make your white knuckled!

I might be moving to Georgia in a month. If this happens I think a Jet+9 front is in my future over the Jet+6
Because I got it for a super good deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
GreenPlease, would you take an H3 front wheel over a Jet+6/9 front considering they are both TLR?

I wouldn't go with the 9 unless you're a fairly big guy and a confident bike handler. The benefits for something like a Jet 9 only really occur at higher yaws (thus strong cross winds) and those cross winds really blow around any wheel of that depth. Some are fine with it, personally I'm not. I'd rather be on something like a Jet 6 and be relaxed and give up a few aero watts.

Here's the rub with the H3+: the first time I field tested it, it faired worse than my Jet 6. It was a quick and dirty test though. That said, I've raced on it a bunch this year and had some pretty good bike splits considering my bike fitness is down a bit vs years past. I've also raced in some decently windy conditions and it's handled much better than I would have ever guessed.

Tl;dr: the safe choice is to get a Jet 6+ for the front. It might not be *the* fastest choice out there but you won't be giving much up and it handles really well in windy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There won't be any difference between the C2 and + rear disc wheels. I might almost argue in favor of the C2 just to give you a bit more wiggle room with the rear brake.

I've been running an H3+/6 front and Jet+ disc on my SC for a while. My tires of choice are Attack 22mm front, 23mm GP TT rear. I haven't grown the "fortitude" yet to run a 20mm SS up front yet but that's likely the fastest tire choice.

This is a good point I hadn't really put a lot of thought into. I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time adjusting my brakes every time i switch out wheels as well!

I can't imagine your giving up that much going with the Attack and TT over the SS. Maybe a couple of watts to me thats worth the piece of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for input. it may be your N+1 but I will take real world experience and personal review over some of the editors review garbage that is out there.

Now just to figure out if I Go C2 or Jet+ for the rear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't over think it. Neither is a bad choice. The Jet+ disc fits though it can be fiddly to get in place with speed fine on the bottom bracket... that could be more about tire height though now that I think of it. One thing I'm considering is getting the UCI compliant part to replace the speed fin because it does make swapping wheels a bit of a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
grumpier.mike the H3 is also a decent amount more $$ for little speed advantage. The non TLR would be a disadvantage as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but dont the H# tend be a little more sensitive to the crosswinds over the Jet+6/9?

Ya the H3 isn't the best crosswind wheel in terms of handling, but it probably kills everyone in terms of watts to spin in mild crosswinds ~5 degrees. I also looked at some of my roller data and the SS20 is pretty close to the TLR and it is probably your best bet for a fast Crr and CdA combo.
Quote Reply