Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more?
Quote | Reply
Microplastics in our gatorade, in our tap water, in bottled water, in our food, you name it.
And guess who has it the worst?
The usa.

Holy toledo.

Here is a link, but the news is all across the interwebs:
http://www.plasticpollutioncoalition.org/...he-plastic-inside-us

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 10, 17 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Microplastics in our gatorade, in our tap water, in our food, in our bottled water, you name it.
The usa.

Holy toledo.

Interesting question. The hypothesized mechanisms that microplastics might harm health are both directly, because they may leach certain problematic chemicals, and indirectly because they act as sponges of other problematic chemicals in the environment that they absorb and may release into the body. I suppose a third possibility is that there might be physical consequences from very small pieces of basically inert material being integrated into our bodies. If I had to guess, the positive health consequences of exercise radically outweigh the negative health consequences of consuming more microplastics in both water and perhaps also food than non-athletes, but it is an interesting thought. And the science on this stuff is pretty nascent at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Microplastics in our gatorade, in our tap water, in our food, in our bottled water, you name it.
The usa.

Holy toledo.

Jeebus that is some terrible propaganda. I don't know about plastic in water, but its no wonder nobody trusts science when garbage like that masquerades as scientific literature. Nothing on that site or the two it immediately linked to resembled anything near rigorous research or presentation of data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about beer :D
Quote Reply
Re: Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Jeebus that is some terrible propaganda. I don't know about plastic in water, but its no wonder nobody trusts science when garbage like that masquerades as scientific literature. Nothing on that site or the two it immediately linked to resembled anything near rigorous research or presentation of data.

Well, according to my 30 seconds of google-fu, the research was done by researchers from the University of Minnesota and the State University of New York.

Not sure I would call them propagandists.

Source:
https://phys.org/...2017-09-plastic.html

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

Well, according to my 30 seconds of google-fu, the research was done by researchers from the University of Minnesota and the State University of New York.

Source:
Also, it's important that we have something new to be alarmed about. That being, for so many, an important hobby.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it is not about alarm.
Instead, it is more,

Knowledge is Power.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 10, 17 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was a joke.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

I have no opinion on plastics in water and I'm sure there is legitimate research easily accessible, which makes the original link all the worse. That page had no references, no legitimate data, just wild fear mongering. The second page you just linked doesn't include the study authors, the names of the studies or link to any publication of said studies. There is no way to verify the 'facts' they've published other than to call up the U of M or SUNY and ask about the water they've tested (how far will that get you?). Its nearly as bad as the first.

Please reconsider which sources you consider are reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Karl.n wrote:

Source:

Well, I would. One of the first sentences in the article is "while the health risks are unknown...". That's an important statement, but it gets overshadowed by the rest of the hyperbole of "oh no there's plastic in my water!!"

This is similar to the studies that scream "eating processed meat increased your cancer risk by X%!!" Meanwhile, what the article never says is that what it really means is that you may increase your cancer risk from 1% to 1.5% if you eat bacon every day.

I'm not saying that drinking water with plastic micro fibers is just hunky dory because I have no data to support the notion that it is risk free, but articles like this are not proving any sort of actual health risk, either.

Quote | Reply
Here you go, a bit more of some very expert google-fu. Link:
https://www.theguardian.com/...-world-study-reveals

It looks like the field of study is very very new, but this article quotes direct conversations with the researchers (University of Minnesota, school of public health, et al, I hear that they are not quacks) that seem to indicate that this is some legitimate work. Nothing here is definitive of course, seeing as how new this area of research is, but common sense would lead one to believe that introducing completely novel particles/compounds to the environment and then finding them in 94% of american tap water samples has gotta make you wonder if this is good. I think that it has been studied and shown that microplastics are killing and making sea and avian life very sick, so you gotta wonder what the effects are on us if we are all drinking the stuff every single day.

Yikes.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Since athletes drink more, are we dosing ourselves more? [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
When I read the title I thought this was going to be about beer :D

Holy toledo, it is about beer too.

24 German beers tested, and all of them were contaminated with plastic fibers/parts.
http://www.tandfonline.com/...rnalCode=tfac20&

Double yikes.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 10, 17 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't surprise me if micro plastics contribute to the rising instances of allergies, asthma, low sperm counts, inability to eat wheat or dairy, and the general feebleness of young people today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Here you go, a bit more of some very expert google-fu. Link:
https://www.theguardian.com/...-world-study-reveals

It looks like the field of study is very very new, but this article quotes direct conversations with the researchers (University of Minnesota, school of public health, et al, I hear that they are not quacks) that seem to indicate that this is some legitimate work. Nothing here is definitive of course, seeing as how new this area of research is, but common sense would lead one to believe that introducing completely novel particles/compounds to the environment and then finding them in 94% of american tap water samples has gotta make you wonder if this is good. I think that it has been studied and shown that microplastics are killing and making sea and avian life very sick, so you gotta wonder what the effects are on us if we are all drinking the stuff every single day.

Yikes.

Psst...instead of Google, try Google Scholar. That is the type of article they're asking you to provide.
Quote Reply