Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whiskey on the table at the Gazebo at American Zofingen. I have read that a few LC racers have stopped and done a shot or 2. No way could I have handled it.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [endurancealex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be warned ...

Some years ago - never mind how long, precisely - what should have been an innocuous little thread on another forum began thusly

Quote:
Some times I drink a couple beers the night before a run will it effect the run? Do you think this affects my performance? Will the fact I have a couple beers waiting for me at the finish help inspire a faster time?

That "little" thread ended up spanning 127 pages [or more than 3000 posts] before the year was out

http://www.coolrunning.com/...m4/HTML/008372.shtml

Truth be told, it was the 4th in a series of annual beer threads on that forum, and was considered its Elvis Year by the followers [I still get recognized as "You were the Beer thread guy, right??]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [endurancealex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some Nuun Energy usually does the trick.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurancealex wrote:
Well at least it wasn't hard stuff or a variety of drinks!

What would the type of drink have to do with it? Is there some logic behind not mixing types of drinks? Never understood this. Could you please elaborate or explain? It's rare that I will drink the same thing twice in a night, so I would love to know if I am causing undo harm to my liver.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I set my HIM PR 36 hours after drinking way too much at altitude. Felt like crap when I woke up but got myself together, did my prerace prep and things were fine.

Eat and drink sensibly today and you will be totally fine. Perseverate on it for too long and you will sabotage your race.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your liver does not know the difference between alcohol from hard liquor, beer, wine, or whatever else. From a hydration standpoint though (i.e. not liver related), beer is probably the least detrimental to have prior to a race because at least some of the diuretic response to alcohol is offset by the additional fluid.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was tired for sure. I'm not used to drinking that much. I couldn't get my power up and HR up on the bike. I actually had one of my worst recent bike performances in a half. But I PRd overall by 6 mins thanks to my PR swim/run. Ha! I'm not sure I'll do this again close to a race though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 11, 17 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank Shorter wrote that he had two gin and tonics the night before he won the '72 Olympic Marathon in Munich in a time of 2:12, an American Record at the time. He said it helped him get a good nights sleep and deal with the nerves. Life is too short to beat yourself up over nothing. PS: You get a good story out of it for the future.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 beers two days before HIM-any suggestions? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I was going to make a crack that this reminded me an awful lot of gravel riding around here, but then I looked closer at the first picture. We're just copycats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next