Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The graph below requires a little bit of explanation - in order to fit data for rider on and no rider I've normalised the Aduro curves to 100%, so the Aeria Ultimate (AU) performance is shown relative to that.
As expected - the Aduro is amazing with no rider thanks to the minimal frontal profile. But the AU went ahead with a rider on. We took the AU off and repeated the Aduro test to verify the numbers as the magnitude of the relative performance change was so significant.

The AU offers better pad-basebar separation thanks to the dropped wing. And the wide pedestal base (and wider extension clamps) means there is better airflow over the centre of the bar.
The Enve tested out basically the same as AU with rider on (slightly slower at low yaw and slightly better at high yaw).

One bike brand has tested the HSF Aeria bottle and had a massive performance advantage. If that increment is consistent across frames the bottle will be a must have. I'm trying to get testing sorted to evaluate a variety of frames. The impact on frames with narrow headtubes will have to be assessed before any claims can be made for universal benefit.

There is also a satellite magnet mount for the hose, that allows you to orient the straw close to the hands so you're not reaching back to grab it. With the aim of minimising the movement required to hydrate.

One thing to note with the Aeria 2 is that it's a platform that will continue to be built on. Firstly there are other armrests on the way (that will fit all PD bars) to offer different fit options. Of course, I didn't take any photos of them at Eurobike so have to rely on others - this is the race armrest - intended to tightly cup the arms for narrow positions. I was going to arrange for a sample to be sent to Slowman but a World tour team got in first so there are no more samples left. There is another armrest that offers a more gentle curve for general use.

There are other Aeria 2 items on the way, some just alternatives, others will be unique innovations.

For me bars are all about fit - which is why the AU has the largest fit range of anything that doesn't have sliders (which just offer smaller x increments for Felt and Trek). The Enve has limited width adjustment and large steps in X. What I don't like about the Enve is the weak armrests that don't offer a firm control base.

By having a range of extension options, 15deg of built in tilt, 7.5mm x increments, 5mm stack increments and 18.5mm width increments as well as (soon) 3 armrest options you will need to be a very special snowflake to not be able to optimise your position with the AU.

One of the criticisms of the AU is the weight of the stem, but now the Enve is 100g heavier so it's pretty clear that these type of stems are not light!

I appreciate your suggestion in the other thread about the Aeria setup

Any luck testing older P2 or P3 with rider?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

Any luck testing older P2 or P3 with rider?

I don't have any data for that. People have certainly done it.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,

I've reached out to David and expect him to respond soon, but in the meantime, what have people done to:

1. Make it easier to drink from the straw?

2. Help kep the splash guard in place (since it pops in/out so easily on bumps.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I'm new here and amazed by all the info. Something I have not been able to find is related to the size of the Di2 Components and the Aeria 100mm stem.

Can 2 x SM-JC41 junction boxes fit inside ?

Can 1 x SM-EW90-B 5 port junction box fit inside?

If it is no to the above, then i think the remaining option would be to go with the 1 x SM-JC41 and the EW-JC130 Y-Cable.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [KPH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never tried to do two JC41s, I would think it would be too hard with all the cables to squeeze in

and it's not needed, if you have two Sd50s coming from extensions, then JC130 between brake levers
one more sd50 out into the frame - to an AD305 if you're doing 12s or straight to bottom junction (Jc41 or JC130) on 11s
You're doing 11s based on the EW90-5, no that can't fit inside
And it doesn't need to either
Use an RS910 with a Profile Design Aeroport

Much tidier and easier to access than an EW90
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that's a good point - i didn't think about the cable to go between the two boxes, inside the stem. So, it looks like the JC 41 & JC130 is the best option
FYI, this is my plan now:
Last edited by: KPH: Aug 23, 22 2:33
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

It really should not need to be this finicky. Does PD have clear instructions on how to put it all together?

No, because the AU stem was released before I started writing the instruction sheets. I did take pics of the process but that never made it through to being published.
How I do it is to cut the outer to a length that gets the noodle in the right place, then thread the inner through the outer and noodle. Then it's easy into the stop.
To get the length right - no brake lever - put the noodle in and cut the cable at the lever end, then push the lever body on.

Any chance you could share those pictures please?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have an older P2C but from what I am seeing most people are using the 100mm stems to get the hydration system to fit correctly. Anyone out there using the 70mm stems and getting it to fit well??
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [Fubar44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70mm would be a struggle unless you've got a fairly big frame, a 56 may be possible but you're really looking at 58 or 61 to have enough clearance from the brake caliper
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate it!!

I currently am on a 56 with all of the spacers under my tririg sigma xf stem (bad back doesn't allow me to get long and low) but honestly I should be on a 54. I got too good of a deal on the bike years ago not to have bought it. I've been riding with a 100mm stem and it works ok but shortening the reach and cleaning up the front end a bit was what I was hoping for. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam for reference. Would there be enough room you think with my current setup you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
All,

I've reached out to David and expect him to respond soon, but in the meantime, what have people done to:

1. Make it easier to drink from the straw?

2. Help kep the splash guard in place (since it pops in/out so easily on bumps.

Thanks!

I found the straw/bite valve to be super easy to drink from as long as you don't cut the straw too short. BTW, the replacement straw that PD sells seems to be about a millimeter thinner that the OG straw that came with the bottle. It will make the magnet slide up when drinking which can be a tad annoying. Also if ordering a replacement straw you will want the 600mm long version, even though the site erroneously suggests that a shorter version will work - it will NOT even if you're setup fully slammed.

The splash guard stays in place on my bottle. This might be the first PD bottle that does not splash much actually and I owned probably 4-5 different varieties. This one is great.

Overall, I love this setup. It is fast as shit, and when coupled with HED wheels and the latest Tririg front brake on my NP3 I can maintain 20mph on like 130 watts.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Profile Design Aeria & +17° Angle [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if it's possible to flip a PD 1/Seventeen stem (i.e. angled up at 17°) and fit the Aeria system? By the looks of it the Aeria would be angled up instead of level with the basebar.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria & +17° Angle [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to flip a PD 1/Seventeen stem (i.e. angled up at 17°) and fit the Aeria system? By the looks of it the Aeria would be angled up instead of level with the basebar.

No, that won't work. It's for the same reason that the faceplate won't work on the 1/zeroseven stem. Have to have a flat stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next