Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Homosexuality question [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Related story.

My daughter has red hair, as do I.

In her middle school science class her teacher made the point that in a 150 years of so, there would be very few if any redheads left in the world. The assumption was that red hair being recessive and with today's much more fluid population mixing of the world (more closed populations tend to keep recessive traits alive), that red hair would be extremely rare occurrance (close to zero). This was in the context of teaching biology and genetics I assume.

She came home distressed and very upset over this. That gingers would all die (or rather not be born).

I heard this too except it was by 2100 so whenever I see a red headed kid I tell my wife "Going extinct by 2100!"
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3) No red "alpha role models," and getting teased can lead to confidence issues

That may well change. Reds may be the next Alpha archetype.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Sep 8, 17 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Endo wrote:
Related story.

In her middle school science class her teacher made the point that in a 150 years of so, there would be very few if any redheads left in the world. The assumption was that red hair being recessive and with today's much more fluid population mixing of the world (more closed populations tend to keep recessive traits alive), that red hair would be extremely rare occurrance (close to zero). This was in the context of teaching biology and genetics I assume.

She came home distressed and very upset over this. That gingers would all die (or rather not be born).

Why is that being a red headed girl is no big deal but being a red headed guy is bad?

My wife is a ginger and as a child she was teased with "I'd rather be dead than red in the head". So for some being a redheaded girl is a big deal.

As a redhead, who has dated many a redhead and married one, all I can say is that the saying it true. Red on the head, fire in the hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

Two of the most alpha societies in history are known for red heads: the Vikings and the Irish.

The Irish are one of the most alpha societies in history? Put the Zima down... you're clearly drunk.

In all honesty though, that sounds ridiculous. I've never heard anyone refer to the Irish as a dominant society.

You're right no reputation for brawling or drinking. The Romans couldn't even conquer it.
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Did you do any research on this? Let me guess? No.

Why do we find homosexuality in sheep?

Speaking of little lambs, were you intimidated by Forge, or no?
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Two of the most alpha societies in history are known for red heads: the Vikings and the Irish.

unfortunately for gingers, they have to live in the present.

(and WTF you talkin' 'bout the Irish? Little angry alcoholics isn't what I'd call "alpha.")

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

unfortunately for gingers, they have to live in the present.

(and WTF you talkin' 'bout the Irish? Little angry alcoholics isn't what I'd call "alpha.")

So the Irish aren't pugnacious?
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
PSA - As a redhead, the term "ginger" is not appreciated by many redheads. It's especially used when kids are bullying other kids.
If you get upset at being called a ginger, don't move to Australia mate!
Here a ginger is a ranga (as in short for orang-utan)
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now we have AI gaydar
https://www.theguardian.com/...ht-from-a-photograph

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's assume that for the purpose of this question that homosexuality is a genetic thing.
---

1. If it were a genetic thing, there's a chance that homosexuality could be caused by any number of genes or gene combinations making it possible to form via one or more mutations/ genetic combinations. Those mutations/ combinations could be a direct result of sexual reproduction or they could have been produced after fertilization. In much the same way that cancer is a gene mutation and can be inherited or developed anytime after birth.

2. No, I am not saying that having the gay is the same as having the cancer, but only using the genetics as the analogy.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Endo wrote:
Related story.

her teacher was wrong - that old story has been debunked many times over.

While not extinct, would the occurrence of the blonde phenotype go down as blondes are more likely to marry non-blondes in a mobile diverse world thus hiding those blonde genes?

on a purely mathematical level, maybe, but even then recessive traits can hum along for a very, very long time. the problem is that we don't know what conditions will look in the future that may select for blonde or red hair preferentially, so predicting it practically is impossible.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
nope. current scientific research suggests that homosexuality might persist because it confers some sort of fitness benefit:

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/...nt/282/1809/20150429

-mike

I quoted a bbc article that explained some ways that this could happen. Does you link do the same? It seems to give an idea how this could be explained, not that it has actually been observed relating to homosexuality? Granted, I did not read the whole article you linked so I might have missed it.
#

the link i've posted is new (2017) peer-reviewed work on this.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a purely mathematical level, maybe, but even then recessive traits can hum along for a very, very long time. the problem is that we don't know what conditions will look in the future that may select for blonde or red hair preferentially, so predicting it practically is impossible.//

What I find funny and haven't seen here yet is the notion that things in the future will be static. There is no doubt in my mind that people will be able to select traits such as hair color along with a multitude of what used to be random factors. Cannot everyone see this is practically here already? Human traits that were random are soon going to be self selected and all these mathematical models are going to be moot. I figure that Downs and a lot of other common gene misfirings will disappear. Probably the gays too, would people really choose that if given the choice? I really don't know the answer, but suspect that most would go the no route there. Maybe more redheads, until they were not so rare anymore? Hard to say what people would really choose given the options, but options there will be..

Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, agree. In the not too distant future I think we will be able order up a child with a la carte traits.

Although it is not quite so simple as hair color. Redheads come with a host of other general body characteristics. I'm talking real redheads here...the flame orange type, not the much broader range of people considered "gingers". You don't see any readheads with brown eyes. All are fair skinned and freckle easily. For the most part have a certain look to their body shape, in the face, the shape of it, color etc.. I can't describe it well, but there is a general look of readheads that goes along with the hair color. It is intertwined with other accompanying characteristics. Not as simple as just hair color.

This seems to me different than blonde and brown haired people which seem to be able to run the gambit and full spectrum of body types.

It's interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

The Irish are one of the most alpha societies in history? Put the Zima down... you're clearly drunk.

In all honesty though, that sounds ridiculous. I've never heard anyone refer to the Irish as a dominant society.

You're right no reputation for brawling or drinking. The Romans couldn't even conquer it.

It is my understanding that the Romans never really gave Ireland a try. By that time, their empire was massive and spread thin, and they had too much trouble holding on to newly conquered territory. They were dealing with mutiny in their own ranks plus constant rebellion from the Scots. Rome was planning on taking Ireland with a single legion of 5000 men, but those plans never materialized. Ireland had no central organization and was just various warring clans on an island, and would have been steamrolled harder then Polish cavalry against German Panzers.

So really you have the Scots to thank.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

It is my understanding that the Romans never really gave Ireland a try. By that time, their empire was massive and spread thin, and they had too much trouble holding on to newly conquered territory. They were dealing with mutiny in their own ranks plus constant rebellion from the Scots. Rome was planning on taking Ireland with a single legion of 5000 men, but those plans never materialized. Ireland had no central organization and was just various warring clans on an island, and would have been steamrolled harder then Polish cavalry against German Panzers.

You mean the Picts? The Romans were there for almost 400 years and couldn't take Scotland or Ireland. The fact your Italian forefathers with probably the greatest army ever assembled in relative terms could not take over an island with a bunch of disorganized tribes running it proves my point of their alpha maleness.
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
As a red-haired guy, I can't answer you. But in my experience what you say is true somewhat.

On average, guys like red haired girls, and in fact red hair is an extra attraction.

You'd have to ask the women's why a lot of them are not attracted to ginger men. If I had to guess and give a sexist answer, I think maybe women (on average) seek out male partners that are perceived to be alpha and strong providers. Maybe red hair is subconsciously seen as a recessive trait. Dunno. Maybe ginger guys are just generally fugly. :+)

There are plenty of girls out there that like red hair or are don't care one way or another. But I do think there is a real difference in the way men perceive red haired girls vs the way women perceive red haired guys.

I think part of the problem with some red headed guys is that they're so pale and can't do anything about it, while women in the same situation can wear makeup to accentuate their features. On guys their features just kind of disappear, especially their eyes (women use mascara to fix that).
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Endo wrote:
Related story.

her teacher was wrong - that old story has been debunked many times over.

I'm doing my part. I'm a ginger and have two ginger kids (one boy one girl). Hubby has brown hair.

Fortunately we're of the dark red subspecies of gingers. Dark red looks better on guys than lighter, 'carroty' red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

You mean the Picts? The Romans were there for almost 400 years and couldn't take Scotland or Ireland. The fact your Italian forefathers with probably the greatest army ever assembled in relative terms could not take over an island with a bunch of disorganized tribes running it proves my point of their alpha maleness.

That logic doesn't bode well for your country's efforts in Afghanistan.

There was no invasion against Ireland to lose. Ireland was spared by outside events they had no influence or control over. Saying the Romans never conquered Ireland is like saying the Romans never conquered Australia.

If anything, Irish alcoholism and scrappiness are most likely behaviours meant to overcompensate for their lack of manliness. An island of beta males drinking their woes away and slapping each other around a little.

I do love the odd Guinness, though.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You mean the Picts?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homosexuality is a "weed"?

Did the 19th century just turn up again?
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Homosexuality is a "weed"?

Did the 19th century just turn up again?

Nice try. I didn't say that.

Go find another social justice story to fight for.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Nice try. I didn't say that.

Kinda did. The term "weed out" is used to refer to something you want to get rid of.
Quote Reply
Re: Homosexuality question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. Poorly chosen wording. That was not my intent.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next