Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Parents of Daughters [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Depends on whether she knew what "InfoWars" was. Swearing at strangers is a definite no-no. Telling off avowed propagandists is inarticulate, but comic gold. Can't tell from this clip, kids have wildly varying amounts of political savvy at younger ages.

In real life, my daughters mix it up pretty often on political issues. They are pretty knowledgeable, and they are often personally attacked, invariably by males, who bring the discussion to the lowest point. I have coached them to always maintain a higher road, consistent with the respect that the side has earned.

I find that sad. Kids are stupid, the are just repeating talking points from one side or another. The more visceral they get, the more they will be attacked. It is like kids arguing religion. Taking the joy out of being young.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be proud or ashamed. If it were my kid, I'd have a talk with her about it. And while that's not the way I would have ever reacted to a stupid question, I'd want to know where she was coming from and why she thought that was appropriate, whether it was a gut reaction, and whether she could learn from it.

But if it were my kid, I'd be even more upset that this was became an issue for public discussion.

Kids should be able to make mistakes, drop an f bomb, flip people off, etc., without their conduct being analyzed by strangers.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
I think that my expected response for a kid that age would be a sneer, and something along the lines of, "leave me alone you weirdo." Dropping F-bombs and throwing fingers is a pretty good indication that this kid is lacking tools for confrontation.

Don't see much of a difference between calling the reporter a weido and dropping an f-bomb. Both are dismissive, and both can be an appropriate response.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Your thread title seems to suggest it's less acceptable behavior for a girl than for a boy. I don't see why that should matter.

A child that age should be able to articulate her objections, which is far more impressive than vulgar insults, which toddlers are more than capable of.

What objections should she articulate to an Infowars reporter?

If someone cuts you off while you are driving, do you politely pull up along side the car, roll down the window, and articulate your objections?

Maybe we should give the kid a break.
Quote Reply
Re: Parents of Daughters [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I find that sad. People are stupid, the are just repeating talking points from one side or another. The more visceral they get, the more they will be attacked. It is like people arguing religion.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next