Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Photography Enthusiasts of the LR
Quote | Reply
I was cleaning the basement this weekend and came across a neglected treasure that I completely forgot I had -- a couple of 65+ year old point & shoot cameras my grandfather brought back from West Germany while stationed there in the '50s. Two cameras, some filters, leather cases, some flash component, etc. They look pretty cool, but I'm not sure how functional they are.

The idea came to me -- I would love to photograph my children with the same cameras that took photos of my mother and possibly me as a tyke. I've no clue what to even look at to determine if they're useful, what I'd need for film, or even if there are still reputable places to send film for processing.

What are the best resources you camera/photography enthusiasts here can recommend for starting to check these things out? I don't care about their potential value, regardless of what it is, but would really like to figure out if they can actually be used with even pretty decent results.
Quote Reply
Re: Photography Enthusiasts of the LR [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clean the dust off them, inside and out.

Open the back and look through the lens to see if the shutter accuates like it should.

Throw some film in it and go to town!

Thats a really sweet idea btw

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Sep 8, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Photography Enthusiasts of the LR [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than likely the foam is toast. google refoaming cameras, it's pretty common.

Google the brands, you might get lucky and find manuals and repair guides online. One of the big refoaming companies has a lot of repair guides, and they sell kits of precut foam for popular cameras.
Quote Reply