Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is)
Quote | Reply
Then do lots of kicking, at high intensity. Things like 2000 kick for time.

And other nuggets of wisdom from Bob.

https://swimswam.com/...uts-asca-convention/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I especially like this one.

"Train the child for the path, not the path for the child"

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Then do lots of kicking, at high intensity. Things like 2000 kick for time. And other nuggets of wisdom from Bob.

https://swimswam.com/...uts-asca-convention/

Too bad he didn't say what MP could do for a 2000 kick, would be interesting to know. I recall he went around 47:30 for 5000 free. What do ya think Jason, would MP go around 24 for 2000 free kick, e.g. 1:12/100 yd??? Or faster???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:12's is what, 1:20 per 100 m or so? I'd say faster. Dude could kick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. I want to see the shark's workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
1:12's is what, 1:20 per 100 m or so? I'd say faster. Dude could kick.

It's no wonder he was so fast with such a great kick. So, now that he has a son, wonder if we'll be seeing him at the 2032 Trials, like Gary Hall Jr???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
his wife is pregnant again too.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet it's 21-22 minutes. 1:12 is not that fast for a truly elite. I'd guess more like 1:05/100yd.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a pretty mediocre swimmer, and I could kick sub-60 for 100 yards (one time - timed get out swim).

I have size 10 feet, and I'm only 5'10. A truly elite kicker would smoke the pants off me (obviously).

I wonder what a guy like Dressel could do for a 100 kick (with a board, no underwaters, from a push). sub 50?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 8, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I bet it's 21-22 minutes. 1:12 is not that fast for a truly elite. I'd guess more like 1:05/100yd.

That's absolutely unfathomable to me since I can't break 1:30 swimming. I kicked a hard 100 on Wednesday in 2:20 and thought I was the man.

In a weird way, I think a guy like Phelps, while appreciated by the masses for his medals, is actually underappreciated for the freak that he is. The general public has little appreciation for what they are watching when these elites go at it.

I was watching the junior championships (I think) the other day and the winner of the 50 fly didn't take a breath during the race. While probably a non-event for you fish, I wondered how many "average" people have trouble simply holding their breath that long, let alone doing so while putting out the effort required to win that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
In a weird way, I think a guy like Phelps, while appreciated by the masses for his medals, is actually underappreciated for the freak that he is. The general public has little appreciation for what they are watching when these elites go at it.
For sure... he's a swimmer which is popular every four years in his home country. He's famous no doubt but only during the couple of months during the Olympics. Outside of that he's a fringe athlete just like the rest of us.

The guy is a once in a lifetime kind of athlete IMO.

On thread topic, I need to do more kick drills. I've gotten lazy with my kicking and my swim times have plummeted this year, especially in non wet-suit races. I can sprint a little over 1:10 for a single 100 in a 25yd pool... I can't even imagine kicking that or faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have second hand knowledge that he did 5 x 500M on 6:00 with a board ~2005. Sound right to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
DJRed wrote:

For sure... he's a swimmer which is popular every four years in his home country. He's famous no doubt but only during the couple of months during the Olympics. Outside of that he's a fringe athlete just like the rest of us.

The guy is a once in a lifetime kind of athlete IMO.

On thread topic, I need to do more kick drills. I've gotten lazy with my kicking and my swim times have plummeted this year, especially in non wet-suit races. I can sprint a little over 1:10 for a single 100 in a 25yd pool... I can't even imagine kicking that or faster!

I asked the coach of the local Y team if he would do some 1-on-1 to help me learn how to lift my legs. His schedule didn't permit recurring private lessons with me, but he did offer about 15 minutes right then to look at my stroke and provide some training tips. The thing he told me most was to kick, kick, and kick some more. Kick fast, kick slow, kick long, kick short. He said once I got my legs in shape, the rest would follow.

Strange advice I thought since I don't have an ounce of upper-body strength but my legs are strong from running. His team is really good, though, so I figured why not. As a result, I've adjusted my approach to kicking and have seen an improvement in my times.

I've read plenty that triathletes shouldn't kick to save their legs and, in a wetsuit, kicking breaks streamline so it's slower, etc. I bought into that and have done much more pulling than kicking in training. At this point, though, I think I need to reevaluate as it seems kicking will help me learn body position that I'll hopefully be able to replicate when I swim.

I guess at a minimum it'll get me into a faster Master's lane and I might enjoy swimming more since I'll be less slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kick 2000, most triathletes I know are lucky to swim 2000...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Coaching mantra is "learn how to kick so you don't need to kick" - kicking is a huge driver of body position, so if you can learn to be efficient while laying off your legs, you're better off. Also it's nice to have that weapon at your disposal for a mass start, swim prime sprint, or letting someone know to get off your feet ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCM? Maybe - I could see 1 at that speed, but repeats are tough to believe, 5x500yd - yes. Charlie Houchin was a 1:46 200m Freestyler and 4x200m gold medalist in London went 4:56 for 400m kick and that blew my mind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone could do 4 x 500 on 6 kick in LCM. must be yards.... or with fins...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alright texted my friend. I got it kind of wrong. The set was 5 x 100's on 1:30, hold 1:12s, then 500 sub 6:00. One minute rest and repeated three times. He said Mike was around 6:00 on all of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanna be like Mike? (phelps, that is) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
alright texted my friend. I got it kind of wrong. The set was 5 x 100's on 1:30, hold 1:12s, then 500 sub 6:00. One minute rest and repeated three times. He said Mike was around 6:00 on all of them.

That's more believable. Well, as believable as such an unbelievable capability can be...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realized how bad of a kicker I am last summer when I swam with my boys. My youngest was 11 at the time and swam around 1:30 LCM. No clue what I could race that in, my best guess is 1:05. That year I swam IMCDA in just under 56 minutes. He absolutely blew me out of the water doing 100M kick sets, by like 10 seconds and was cracking jokes when I came in completely spent and he was pushing off for another talking back at (and to!) me as he went.
Quote Reply