Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race
Quote | Reply
This is Challenge
2700m of elevation; 20% more than IM Nice
I have a choice of 808/Disc or CXL 50s

Quote Reply
Re: Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends a bit on how technical the descents are. Personally, I always descend better using slightly shallower wheels.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I have no idea and cannot recce it
Its the first edition, so need feedback either
And I cannot get a GPX file so cannot put it through BBS either
So going blind
Quote Reply
Re: Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just my opinion from looking at the profile:

The first 20 to 30K looks rolling where a disc will help.
From there until 90K it would probably be a wash between the two wheelsets.
After the first 90K there is a decent and then it's generally flat. You'll be on the brakes for the decent but after 110K the disc will likely help again.

I'd ride the disc and the deep front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you ride the disc and the shallow front? That would be my choice.

My 808 front wheel sometimes gets twitchy on fast descents especially if it is windy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
This is Challenge

I used an 808 rear and HED 60 Stinger combo for IM France 7 years ago and that was fine for me on the technical descents. I don't think I would want the additional gyroscopic effect of the disc's weight on the descents as it ends up being a bit harder to turn out of a switchback. 808 is about as deep as I was willing to handle. I am a good descender and put 15 minutes on the guy who ended up beating me from the top of the climbs back to Nice. That guy needed to outrun me be 16 minutes and only caught me at around 39K into the race. We got the last 2 KQ spots in our division that year (roll down, but whatever). In any case, an 808 or equivalent should be nearly as fast as a disc in low yaw conditions if the descents are non technical, and the up side is easier to turn out of switchbacks for the technical side. So overall on a 2700m course, I would say you win with an 808 because it is highly unlikely with that much vertical there is zero non technical. It's just really unlikely that if you are in mountainous terrain, you have Kona like non technical. In fairness at Whistler which has 2200m vertical, you could use a disc and likely be faster. Only 4 switchbacks and 2 more technical descents on that course. But at 2700m, I am guessing by definition there is technical climbing and descending for the road to get that much vertical. Go 808 or equivalent. Maybe if it is minimal technical like Whistler you give away 1 min max, but even if you can take the minimal technical switchbacks quicker and more confidently you stand to gain all that time back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
This is Challenge

This is similar profile to Norseman. I ran a 808/disc there and it was absolutely the right choice.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it wasn't a bad time of the year for me I would be on the start line for Madrid too.
I wouldn't use a disc, but it's probably faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan
Thanks for this; esp given you must have a fleet of wheels to use
Just have visions of the locals pissing themselves when they see the token Brit rock up with his super 9 !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Hi Jordan
Thanks for this; esp given you must have a fleet of wheels to use
Just have visions of the locals pissing themselves when they see the token Brit rock up with his super 9 !

FWIW, I saw dozens of discs at the Alpe d'Huez triathlon...
Quote Reply
Re: Another always use a Disc question? Even in a 2700m elevation race [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats interesting, and thats 3200m in only 118km
That is hardcore....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the route description, you can make a go from any of a number of mapping websites.
Unless you need actual track data in BBS, they should work.
Quote Reply