Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
What I don't get (and experienced today) was people in airport bars at like 8AM. Drinking that early has zero attraction to me....

Airport rules -- it's never the wrong time to drink.
Only if you know your limit.

Just boarded my flight out of Gulfport, MS at 5:30am. Guy in front of me ordered a Jack & coke! No connecting flight, doesn't appear to be an international traveler- I love bourbon but not with Coke and not at 5 in the am!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Peru is worse than the states on this. I travel monthly for work, and most times folks step back 2-3 feet from the carousel, in USA.

I just got back from Peru. They stand immediately adjacent to the carousel, while all the gringos stood back a few steps.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have hit on my favorite pet peeve. Once my flight was international and rerouted to a small airport because of a mechanical. The carousel was small. Still all the people crowd the carousel. Before you know it it is jammed and people can't get their luggage off because of the carousel blockers. So me and five other guys move in and start taking luggage off and stack it against the wall so it can keep coming. Otherwise I have resorted to you approach.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
travelmama wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
What I don't get (and experienced today) was people in airport bars at like 8AM. Drinking that early has zero attraction to me....

Airport rules -- it's never the wrong time to drink.

Only if you know your limit.

Just boarded my flight out of Gulfport, MS at 5:30am. Guy in front of me ordered a Jack & coke! No connecting flight, doesn't appear to be an international traveler- I love bourbon but not with Coke and not at 5 in the am!

When catching an early morning flight, a double shot bloody Mary always helped us to sleep on the plane.

Once after having a double shot bloody Mary in the Dayton airport at 5:30 AM, we got to Salt Lake City and had to kill some time in Applebee's and they wouldn't serve us a second 3.2% beer without ordering food. Damn Mormons.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: justgeorge: Sep 8, 17 4:44
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
OakCliffTri wrote:

When catching an early morning flight, a double shot bloody Mary always helped us to sleep on the plane.

Once after having a double shot bloody Mary in the Dayton airport at 5:30 AM, we got to Salt Lake City and had to kill some time in Applebee's and they wouldn't serve us a second 3.2% beer without ordering food. Damn Mormons.

I'm on board with a Bloody Mary early in the am. Trying to use one (or three) to fall asleep now. But a jack and coke just seems strong for this hour- but to each his own.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
OakCliffTri wrote:

I'm on board with a Bloody Mary early in the am. Trying to use one (or three) to fall asleep now. But a jack and coke just seems strong for this hour- but to each his own.

A bloody and a bourbon and coke have about the amount of booze
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
No one, and I mean absolutely, positively no one else on earth, could be as bad a flyer as my wife.

We've been round the world twice (backdoor brag??) , europe a couple of times and even on short, regional flights, she will begin to throw up the SECOND the plane is pushed back from the gate and will continue to spew the whole flight until such time as the door opens at the destination.

Drugs don't work (she will spew them up just knowing why she is taking them). She did have some limited success with the pressure point wrist bands (meaning she didn't spew until taxing down the runway, j/k!) in that she spewed way less, but still did throw up at the slightest hint of any turbulence.

While she will view the whole thing less than favourably, there are several advantages.
1. She loses weight so looks great on the beach at our destination
2. She is always moved right next to the stewards station so they can keep an eye on her the whole flight.
3. The kids and I get her meals
4. We also get to enjoy the extra space

There are also a couple of cons;
1. Airlines are always wanting to send her to the local hospital when we arrive (we never except)
2. I always have to push her around in a wheelchair when we arrive as there is no way she can walk.
3. We will lose that day and the next as she is comatose with a huge migraine for the next 24 hours.
4. She also gets sick on trains, boats, buses, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades....pretty much anything except walking could cause her to spew

Other than that, she is a delight to travel with :-)

Jeebus. Does she do all the driving at home to maintain concentration so that she doesn't puke? Or, you do all the driving, because no matter what, she heaves? That sucks.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beer(s) and a shot of Jameson at the bar before boarding for me. Gingerale is the only thing I will drink on a plane aside from water and tea. It's become my hallmark and not for stomach issues. Lately, I've come to like fireball and gingerale as my flight cocktail.

If I'm traveling for work, then no a.m. beverages, but if I'm going for vacation, then my clock doesn't prohibit! I mean, if I'm going to watch a match at a pub or bar, and am having Carlsbergs with my eggs and beans, then no problem with the morning airport libation.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
OakCliffTri wrote:

A bloody and a bourbon and coke have about the amount of booze

While that is true, only one of those 2 drinks is recognized as a morning cocktail, i.e. a bloody mary bar at a saturday/sunday brunch. Nothing wrong with drinking the bourbon, but 5am is a little early for my tastes.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was flying out of O'Hare on Wednesday morning, and some guy tried to board with Group 3 instead of his assigned Group 4. The gate agent called him out on it over the PA (good for her) and he had to sheepishly walk back to the end of the Group 4 line. It is a total dick move, but I've seen plenty of people do it and get away with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
I think Peru is worse than the states on this. I travel monthly for work, and most times folks step back 2-3 feet from the carousel, in USA.

I just got back from Peru. They stand immediately adjacent to the carousel, while all the gringos stood back a few steps.
Asians do that too. Some years ago while waiting at the carousel in LAX, a Dutch woman bolted in between my friend and I go grab her suitcase nearly knocking me over. No one was standing on either of us.

Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Not at all but I will take it over guy who eats McDonalds on airplane. Primarily because even if someone does pull the movie w/o headphones move I already have my headphones to cover it up.

What are your thoughts on a 6'4" former body builder turned tranny eating McDonalds on an airplane? Because I've had that character sit next to me. Southwest flight for what it's worth.

That one I would be cool with. Would be interested in hearing his/her story. Likely one of the few conversations with a stranger I'd enjoy on an airplane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago, used miles for a first class ticket from ORD to Tokyo. After 3-4 scotches, 1 flt attendant told me that was it, fortunately we had 3 rotating to serve the 8 of us in the high price seats.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Travel World- Airplanes/ports specifically [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I take it really easy and never take ANY corner at speed, AND the trip is under two hours, she is normally ok.
But I can easily make her heave at any time I choose, so if she starts to piss me off.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but the Jack and Coke has the caffeine so not going to help with sleep.
Quote Reply

Prev Next