Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk to me about car batteries
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago my wife and I bought a used Mazda cx-9. Dealer report had a 2 billion point inspection list for the usual stuff, including battery. On the form, there were three options the inspector could pick: pass, satisfactory, or fail for each item. The battery was listed as a pass. This inspection was done end of July.

Of course, two weeks after buying the car, while about to drive my wife and newborn baby home from the fucking hospital, the car battery had died. I thought I noticed a hesitation at start up on the drive to the hospital a couple days prior but obviously had more important things on my mind. I got a jump, got the family home, took it to a service station where they confirmed the battery was well below passing their test.

I've called the dealership and it's like pulling teeth to get then to reimburse the cost of the battery. Battery was $200. They've offered me $100 after days of back and forth. Because they're being such slimy pricks about it (see my previous thread on car dealerships) I'm inclined to keep fighting for the extra $100.

They are claiming that when the test was done, the battery passed inspection. They are claiming that 5 weeks of sitting on a lot through summer was enough to take the battery from good to dead. I'm calling bullshit. I think, if the battery was on its last leg, it should have been rated as 'satisfactory' or 'fail' on their inspection report. I don't believe 5 weeks of sitting on a lot through the summer would drain a battery that much. Am I crazy? Is there something I'm missing?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 CX5 battery died 2 weeks ago. Mechanic (we skipped the dealer) who we've used for years told us Mazda OEM batteries have a problem with internal failure. They will drop a cell with no warning. The computer that starts the car when you push the button sees the bad battery and refuses to start, even though it could.

You can argue if you want, but batteries, lights, and wipers are normally not part of a warranty, at least in NY.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not claiming it's a warranty issue. I'm claiming they sold me a car with a nearly dead battery and marked it as 'good'.

Our cx-9 is a couple years older, so the battery was probably near end of life. Our model also doesn't have push button ignition (if that makes a difference).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they owe you a new battery.

The important time period here is not the five weeks from when they tested the battery. That's irrelevant.

What's important here is that the battery (rated "pass") failed two weeks after you bought the car. That's unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lead acid batteries are not easy to test effectively, and can certainly fail suddenly. I'd say giving you $100 was a gift...who knows how old the battery was in the first place? Even for a battery I return under warranty it is only prorated so I'd be lucky to get half the cost of new. It's a gamble you take when you buy a used car with an unknown service history, or did they tell you that the battery was brand new? The best indicator I know of for battery health is how old it is. Here in Phoenix batteries live a hard life and usually fail suddenly after about 3 years for a standard battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would take the $100 and go to Costco and buy a battery for $90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had battery issues with the car I drive and the one before. Same make and model just different years. The last time it happened my brother who is a mechanic rigged a bigger battery into the compartment. He said the car draws more juice then the stock one could handle. Haven't had a problem since.

Prior to that I feel like I was going through batteries or jumping the car more then I should have. Couple of times the battery was tested and it was fine. Few weeks later I needed a new one. I'd guess I was replacing the battery every 2-3 years.

So I'd guess it could happen. But dealerships are scummy so keep arguing with them. Every time they make an offer to settle tell them you need to go talk to your manager.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Batteries go from putting out decent voltage to useless pretty quick. $100 seems fair but I can see why your pissed. Should be able to get a 3-5 year battery for any car from $90-$140 these days
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
Lead acid batteries are not easy to test effectively, and can certainly fail suddenly. I'd say giving you $100 was a gift...who knows how old the battery was in the first place? Even for a battery I return under warranty it is only prorated so I'd be lucky to get half the cost of new. It's a gamble you take when you buy a used car with an unknown service history, or did they tell you that the battery was brand new? The best indicator I know of for battery health is how old it is. Here in Phoenix batteries live a hard life and usually fail suddenly after about 3 years for a standard battery.

This is exactly right. Batteries are wear items and detecting the difference between a new battery and a half wore out battery is guesswork. The average car battery is a POS. Marine and other deep cycle batteries are slightly less crappy. 3yrs is perfectly acceptable life for a battery. Every month after that is a gift. It is simply not reasonable to buy a used car and, no matter what the cursory inspection reports, expect the battery to last a couple years.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll sell you the battery from my Civic. $100.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you what's not a bad vehicle battery is a Shorai battery. Unfortunately, they do not manufacture for automobiles but instead for motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, riding mowers, scooters, and personal watercraft. I bought one to replace my moto's stock battery. Dropped several pounds and doesn't require a trickle charger. Can sit for over a year, and the bitch starts right up! I bought a second one to install into my other bike. Very pleased. Definitely recommend.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have been okay with just a 1 billion point inspection. The 2 billion point inspection is rife with problems.

Like others, I think the $100 was more than fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
A few weeks ago my wife and I bought a used Mazda cx-9. Dealer report had a 2 billion point inspection list for the usual stuff, including battery. On the form, there were three options the inspector could pick: pass, satisfactory, or fail for each item. The battery was listed as a pass. This inspection was done end of July.

Of course, two weeks after buying the car, while about to drive my wife and newborn baby home from the fucking hospital, the car battery had died. I thought I noticed a hesitation at start up on the drive to the hospital a couple days prior but obviously had more important things on my mind. I got a jump, got the family home, took it to a service station where they confirmed the battery was well below passing their test.

I've called the dealership and it's like pulling teeth to get then to reimburse the cost of the battery. Battery was $200. They've offered me $100 after days of back and forth. Because they're being such slimy pricks about it (see my previous thread on car dealerships) I'm inclined to keep fighting for the extra $100.

They are claiming that when the test was done, the battery passed inspection. They are claiming that 5 weeks of sitting on a lot through summer was enough to take the battery from good to dead. I'm calling bullshit. I think, if the battery was on its last leg, it should have been rated as 'satisfactory' or 'fail' on their inspection report. I don't believe 5 weeks of sitting on a lot through the summer would drain a battery that much. Am I crazy? Is there something I'm missing?

I'd chalk this up to a nice back door brag. You got something out of a used car dealer. You won.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Sep 7, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Dapper Dan wrote:

This is exactly right. Batteries are wear items and detecting the difference between a new battery and a half wore out battery is guesswork. The average car battery is a POS. Marine and other deep cycle batteries are slightly less crappy. 3yrs is perfectly acceptable life for a battery. Every month after that is a gift. It is simply not reasonable to buy a used car and, no matter what the cursory inspection reports, expect the battery to last a couple years.

I guess i am lucky I have been getting more than 6 years (knock on wood). Maybe because of the mild climate in San Diego.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about car batteries [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I guess i am lucky I have been getting more than 6 years (knock on wood). Maybe because of the mild climate in San Diego.

I seem to get pretty good battery life, too. To me, a battery is certainly not a wear item.

My wife's car is a 2005 and has the original battery. I've had my truck for 8 years, the battery was old when I got it - I think its getting a little weak and might be ready for replacement. The 2 trucks before that I had 10 years and 11 years and never swapped the battery.

And this is not a mild climate - 6 months of winter, temps to 50 below and lots of cold starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes car batteries die gradually as the plates degrade, sometimes they fail catastrophically - going from PASS to FAIL in a day. I have limited expectations on lifespan on any battery 5+ year olds.
Take the $100, go to Costco or CDN Tire, get a battery and install it yourself.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply