Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
realAB wrote:
Winter to summer. U10 kids don't need the scarlet letter.

They don't allow kids to swim for different teams or leagues winter to summer?

Here, there's no overlap in seasons between the two swim leagues so they don't care (in fact each league encourages kids to swim in their offseason to maintain fitness/technique).

Think of how butt-hurt people around here get when an ex-pro decides to retire and compete as an AG'er. Same argument.

I don't get that ? I guess I'm not sure how your leagues work up north but I can't see the harm. There's certain leagues here you would have to get a release signed to switch but that's more based on where you live so one team can't be stacked with all the local talent. If it's a different league it doesn't matter. At least as far as I see now and based on what I went through. In HS I swam for 5 different teams, 3 winter and 2 summer. A lot of kids I know swim for at least two in the winter. Their school team and then a local team.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned how to swim when I was 35, the year I decided to try a tri. How I wish I learned it properly when I was a kid.

My 7 and 9 year olds are taking an hour of swim lesson in a swim school every week since they were 4 or 5. I wish they could be more competitive and spend more time in the water, but this is already way ahead of myself at the same age.

They don't really love it, but I told them it's mandatory and they can only quit when they beat their daddy in the water.

I also sent my oldest to LifeSaving summer camp for the past two summers. It's CRITICAL life skill!!!

Took my 3 year old to his first swim lesson this summer, and he cried for 15 minutes. So I'll have to try again in few months. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just don't want my 2 year old to get into hockey. But he probably will want to, and then I'll be parking my ass in the rink for hours and turning into a hockey dad, yelling at the coaches and other players...

LOL ditto
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...what about his 725m time? Have I missed it? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
realAB wrote:

Here, there's no overlap in seasons between the two swim leagues so they don't care (in fact each league encourages kids to swim in their offseason to maintain fitness/technique).

Think of how butt-hurt people around here get when an ex-pro decides to retire and compete as an AG'er. Same argument.

I don't get that? I guess I'm not sure how your leagues work up north but I can't see the harm. There's certain leagues here you would have to get a release signed to switch but that's more based on where you live so one team can't be stacked with all the local talent. If it's a different league it doesn't matter. At least as far as I see now and based on what I went through. In HS I swam for 5 different teams, 3 winter and 2 summer. A lot of kids I know swim for at least two in the winter. Their school team and then a local team.

I'm not sure why you're not getting it. In my junior swimming years, we had "experienced" and "inexperienced" categories to distinguish between year-round swimmers and summer-only swimmers. Otherwise the year-round guys/girls would have pretty much all of the events with exception of the 8 & under and 10 & under. In the 11-12 and up, the year-round swimmers are going to win everything w/o having these categories. Understand now???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
realAB wrote:

I don't get that ? I guess I'm not sure how your leagues work up north but I can't see the harm. There's certain leagues here you would have to get a release signed to switch but that's more based on where you live so one team can't be stacked with all the local talent. If it's a different league it doesn't matter. At least as far as I see now and based on what I went through. In HS I swam for 5 different teams, 3 winter and 2 summer. A lot of kids I know swim for at least two in the winter. Their school team and then a local team.

just for clarification, "winter" really means year round. The season starts in September and goes to the following summer, whatever the end-of-season meet happens to be.

"summer" means that the season starts just before school ends in may or june and goes to mid august, a considerably shorter season. There are provisions here which allow the summer swimmers to train year round, but they can't run more than 2 or 3 practices per week outside of the summer swim season.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one is, has been for 4+ years, the other is taking a break for gymnastics this year. she will return next year to swimming. even though the older one complain's, she is a better person for swimming: strong, becoming more confident, definitely has helped a bit in discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're not getting it. In my junior swimming years, we had "experienced" and "inexperienced" categories to distinguish between year-round swimmers and summer-only swimmers. Otherwise the year-round guys/girls would have pretty much all of the events with exception of the 8 & under and 10 & under. In the 11-12 and up, the year-round swimmers are going to win everything w/o having these categories. Understand now???

I didn't realize the programs they were talking about were essentially year round.

In concept I understand I have just not seen it in practice. Growing up the year round kids did win everything. Is the "experienced" and "inexperienced" just a summer league category where you are? We have A B and C heats for example but there's no distinction between them other then only A counts for points.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my only into a summer league for the first time. She freaking loves it. She's giving up on other sports so she can focus on swim. Very tall, athletic, and showing potential. It's been fun watching her improve over the past few months. 10 years old and faster than me in any stroke 100y/m or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I didn't realize the programs they were talking about were essentially year round.
In concept I understand I have just not seen it in practice. Growing up the year round kids did win everything. Is the "experienced" and "inexperienced" just a summer league category where you are? We have A B and C heats for example but there's no distinction between them other then only A counts for points.

Ya, the exp vs inexp is only used during the summer season, mainly b/c that is the only time it is needed. I think the exp/inexp is a better descriptor than winter vs summer, since winter/summer makes it sounds like they're just swimming 3 months in either season. I can see how that would be confusing espec if you had not heard of the concept. BTW, the exp/inexp was used in western Maryland/Pennsylvania where we lived when I started year-round swimming on a YMCA team. I now live in eastern Tennessee and not sure how they work it down here.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a very average D1 swimmer, always made the travel team but was never our best swimmer at any one event. Back in 1990 you could get by with hard work and not much athletic ability or size, now you need both (although with the changes to backstroke flip turn rules I could be world class now). I was also a slightly above average high school distance runner (4:37 mile). Right now I am an out of shape overworked almost 50 year old who hasn't completed a Tri since 2011 (around 60-70 1985 - 2011).
My wife was the Swim Team Captain and All American / NCAA qualifier level (any athletic ability my children have is from her).

We live on a large lake in Charlotte, NC and our children enjoy water sports every week of the year in some form. We tried to get them to swim competitively (local SWIM MAC program is world class), they don't get the concept of 2-4 hours of hard work every day basically as hard as you can go.

Three boys:
17 - Soccer (High School Senior hopefully playing D1 or D2, although any scholarship will be a drop in the bucket compared to total soccer $$ paid over the past 15 years, still well worth it).
15 - Soccer (currently on D1 level track, although many/most still fall out and again from an ROI perspective. College could be paid for years ago from soccer fees, currently $6K+ annual)
9 - Soccer and Karate (I hate both sports, swam for 1 year, was awesome, hates cold water, I can so relate to that at 6:00 every morning).
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [trytj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming didn't take, but she loves cyclocross. The only problem is that she doesn't seem to be strong enough to engage the springs on the eggbeaters.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [trytj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytj wrote:
I was a very average D1 swimmer, always made the travel team but was never our best swimmer at any one event. Back in 1990 you could get by with hard work and not much athletic ability or size, now you need both (although with the changes to backstroke flip turn rules I could be world class now). I was also a slightly above average high school distance runner (4:37 mile). Right now I am an out of shape overworked almost 50 year old who hasn't completed a Tri since 2011 (around 60-70 1985 - 2011).
My wife was the Swim Team Captain and All American / NCAA qualifier level (any athletic ability my children have is from her).

LOL. Typical ST - being an 'average D1 swimmer' = 'no genetic athletic ability. '

And a 4:37 mile in HS being 'slightly above average.'
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 7, 17 18:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
I have two little girls, 4 & 2. Honestly, I have no idea on how to go about signing them up for a team. We actually live IN the city of Philadelphia...I feel like the city sucks for kids sports at a high level.

They're too young for a "team", but if you want to get them in swimming when they're a little older...

https://www.usaswimming.org/find-a-team
So this thread is timely for me as my oldest is now 7. I started on a team when I was 6 because my two older sisters were also on the team so it was just easier for my parents to have us all going at the same time.

But I followed a few links on the website you sent and was shocked at how much it would cost. I don't know if this is normal, but to just get pool access around here is a $2k initiation fee and then another $1-2k per year. Swim lessons or swim team costs are on top of that.

I really want my girls to swim, but those costs I might give in and just buy them a pony.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [Markalolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both my kids were on a team. It lasted 2 seasons for my daughter. My son was 5 seasons in before a medical issue shut it down. Even though he's out of swimming now, I know he has the muscle memory get get back in a swim well.

As a side semi-bonus, I started volunteering on deck (to help with practice), and that evolved into coaching. I'm far from being an expert coach, but I am functional and I can help kids get their start in swimming competitively.

Less then 10 years ago, I couldn't swim a lap in the pool without stopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
I have two little girls, 4 & 2. Honestly, I have no idea on how to go about signing them up for a team. We actually live IN the city of Philadelphia...I feel like the city sucks for kids sports at a high level.

Penn Charter might be a good option for lessons. Not sure about their club program when your kids get older.

If they get into it I'm not sure how close or how much work it would be to get to radnor or lower / upper merion but this is th league my kids swim in. I swam in the same league 30 + years ago. It's solid and been around a long time.

http://www.suburbanaquatic.org/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started one in swim when she was 7 (now 11) after I would take her before work to the pool on Monday mornings before school to teach her to swim. Swim team happened to have a practice then so after a couple of weeks, I told her she could try out if she wanted. She's now moving up to her 4th squad next month and will be the youngest on that squad. 9 y/o will be trying out next week. She was in karate but got bored so I encouraged her to try swim up to and including the first meet, then she can decide if she wants to stick with it or try something else. Good kids in there, good work ethic and they do a good job of balancing fun and hard work. 11 y/o would be happy to swim every day and I imagine will take me out next time we race. Last time, it came down to the 100 IM and I had her..... Now... Not so sure, it's fun to watch the progression and as long as they enjoy it, they'll be on the team.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems steep. Our 10 year old swims 5 days a week and team fees are 2k which includes our club renting pool space.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
Seems steep. Our 10 year old swims 5 days a week and team fees are 2k which includes our club renting pool space.
That's a hit also. Any outside costs on top
of that?

I think between summer , winter , USA swimming memebership and clinics we are about 1K. That includes team suits and such

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My older kid spent 5 years swimming for a club but finally had enough and is switching to track now. Well on the way to becoming triathlete scum like his dad.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Are all of your kids on a swimming team??? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was fooling around looking at the top times for 16-18 year old boys last year. I was surprised by the huge volume of reasonable fast kids. (The volume was not like that 28 years ago. The volume didn't seem nearly that deep in current distance running either).

I decided that it was probably much much much easier to play collegiate football than to participate in men's college swimming.

My kids have no interest in either.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 8, 17 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
between summer and winter. The idea is to give the kids who don't swim year round a chance at winning stuff, otherwise summer league would be completely dominated by the year round kids. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not, I don't think it affects a lot of kids anyway, and the effect isn't really straightforward. It may wind up keeping more kids in year-round swimming if they know they can't compete for a year if they quit the year round club.
In my summer league as a kid (Maryland), all the year-round swimmers did clean up. They'd come from Saturday practice and thrash the summer-only kids. It's what drove me to year-round swimming and I'm so glad I had those fast kids to look up to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fundraising / officials hours (large club 500 kids).

Meet fees, some travel costs (not many away meets at his level since there a ton of local meets). 2 or 3 travel meets expected this season. 1 will have team travel as a mandatory the others he'll stay with us.

Swim Canada registration is included in our fees.

Equipment/team gear is on top as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our summer association is semi autonomous from Swim Alberta. Personally with the drop in the number of boys in the sport those rules are outdated. If a kid wants to try a full season before they turn 12, I say let them. If they like it they are not coming back. That rule makes people afraid to try year round swimming.

Quote Reply

Prev Next