Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can falling off ladder cause IT band issues?
Quote | Reply
So I was working outside, fell off the ladder (unintentionally) from like the third step up, landed clumsily on my right foot then my right hand.

Hand was bruised/sore for a few days. Knee is still sore (ten days later).

At first I thought it was some kinda tissue bruise etc, but now it's feeling like an IT band issue. I did some foam rolling and stretching last night and its 5% better today.

Haven't been to the doc because in my experience they would just tell me to rest it and ice it etc.

Any thoughts?

THX

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Can falling off ladder cause IT band issues? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a lot of Physical Therapy for IT Band issues and so of course I talked to the PTs alot and asked many questions. It is my understanding that most true IT band issues are a result of problems somewhere else, in many cases the Psoas, hip flexor and related areas that cause movement dysfunction. The pain presents on the outside of the knee but it is because of imbalance, usually from a weakness, in other areas up the chain. So all of my PT involved movements and strengthening of the hip complex to create efficiencies in how the muscles fire, and to avoid breakdowns and over-compensations that lead to the strain on the IT band on one end, that presents as pain on the other (knee) end. This was highly effective in resolving the problems. I will also offer that my PTs told me that the IT band, contrary to some popular belief, can't be "stretched" because it is a really tough and dense band of tissue. So while foam rolling may help with knots, it can also irritate your band if you do it around the knee. I'm not qualified to say whether your ankle tweak may have affected the IT band from the bottom up, as I'm only familiar with issues that come from the top down, anatomically speaking. But I hope it gets better. I do encourage seeing a reputable sports medicine practicioner to help figure it all out. It made a huge difference for me.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itb issue are mostly overuse injury.

in your case, it s a acute trauma.... scare tissue at point of contact....and it create issue similar to what ITB feels like. This is what we have to deal with when a athlete crash of a bike...there is always little niggle issue that will surface. those are not overuse and mostly scare tissue that need to be broken down.

your on the right path with rolling, massage but more effective would be a few ART session with a good practitioner. this will have immediate impact.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you both!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my thought is that the trauma caused some additional tightness of the involved structures which can exacerbate the lateral knee presenting as IT Band Pain. Some good research shows ITB Friction syndrome as more of a compression syndrome. I wrote an article on how to resolve IT Band Pain which may be of some benefit.

Here the full article I wrote a few years ago and should help you get back after it.

For a more formal plan of attack you can visit us at https://www.thetrainingplansource.com/itband

Feel free to reach out with any questions at coach@TheTrainingPlanSource.com

Best in Health,

Scott Proscia, BS ATC M.Ed ACSM-CPT

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Can falling off ladder cause IT band issues? [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
So my thought is that the trauma caused some additional tightness of the involved structures which can exacerbate the lateral knee presenting as IT Band Pain. Some good research shows ITB Friction syndrome as more of a compression syndrome. I wrote an article on how to resolve IT Band Pain which may be of some benefit.

Here the full article I wrote a few years ago and should help you get back after it.

For a more formal plan of attack you can visit us at https://www.thetrainingplansource.com/itband

Best in Health,

Thanks! I'll incorporate some of those other stretches/exercises/etc into my daily routine.

I did notice that foam rolling on the "injured" side is 100x more painful than rolling on the non injured side. And I'd edit my original post to say that the acute pain associated with every step is now completely gone. But things do still feel tight/tender on the right side.

Quote Reply
Re: Can falling off ladder cause IT band issues? [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:

Best in Health,

So I had pain walking for the two weeks following the fall.

Began foam rolling the sh#$ out of my leg 2x a day and three days later its like 99% gone!

You guys are great.

Quote Reply