Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [TRIing2Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIing2Run wrote:
Bumping this one.

Looking forward to the race. Does anyone have an update on the current water temperature?

Not legal as if 4am this morning. According to USGS site.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:
TRIing2Run wrote:
Bumping this one.

Looking forward to the race. Does anyone have an update on the current water temperature?

Not legal as if 4am this morning. According to USGS site.

2 years in a row... people are gonna be freaking out. Will make transition entertaining in the morning!

BTW where do you see temp data on the site? I can never find it.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Here's one...
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/...;end_date=2017-09-22

I am hoping that today's 0400 was an anomaly. No question that the river is warm, and it is around 1° C above wetsuit legal. However, it is a bit unusual for the early AM reading to be so close to the prior evening's reading. Typically the temperature falls about 1° C overnight. It is probably not going to cool off much between now and Sunday at 0700.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dyarab wrote:

Here's one...
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/...;end_date=2017-09-22

I am hoping that today's 0400 was an anomaly. No question that the river is warm, and it is around 1° C above wetsuit legal. However, it is a bit unusual for the early AM reading to be so close to the prior evening's reading. Typically the temperature falls about 1° C overnight. It is probably not going to cool off much between now and Sunday at 0700.

Thanks for the link.

Looking at that data... I don't see a wetsuit legal race. Bringing it just in case but it hasn't been under 76 all week (for the most part).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Looking at that data... I don't see a wetsuit legal race. Bringing it just in case but it hasn't been under 76 all week (for the most part).
Yep, probably not. I have been swimming in my wetsuit, and I will be bringing it. But, I am not counting on it. Here is a chart of this month's temperatures. It might be falling now, especially if today's reading was off, but it probably won't drop enough, if recent history is a guide.

Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last reading at 10AM was 25.9C (78.6F)!!!

Man that's crazy... chaos will ensue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh well. This should be fun :) First time heading to this race!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [josh_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only reason I signed up for the race was its downhill wetsuit swim. Might as well stay home... just kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:

Last year it was wetsuit legal the day before the race, and about a degree above the limit on race morning.

Wasn't too much chaos within the ranks. At least they have a few days fair warning this year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
dyarab wrote:

Last year it was wetsuit legal the day before the race, and about a degree above the limit on race morning.

Wasn't too much chaos within the ranks. At least they have a few days fair warning this year.

Not for the people who can swim 😜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Augusta, Bob. They are going to put a wetsuit wave at the end but do it as a rolling start. Bonus to no wetsuit is the other waves will be smaller as folks flee to the wetsuit start.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta, GA 70.3 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I'm in Augusta, Bob. They are going to put a wetsuit wave at the end but do it as a rolling start. Bonus to no wetsuit is the other waves will be smaller as folks flee to the wetsuit start.

I think they did the same last year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per the brief, they added 2 waves last year. They said the rolling start will put the folks in faster since the cut offs don't change. Doing the wetsuit thing means you get less time to complete and will have more time in the heat of the day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next