Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dreamer Status [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Haha. Now ICE knows right where to find them. And probably their illegal border crossing parents too!!

Thanks, Obama!

This why I'll never get a medical marijuana card as long as the evil weed is illegal federally.

And this is a consequence of not enforcing laws.

The only reason why these "dreamers" have been here so long and have zero connection to their native country is because our government let them.

Maybe they should have been deported 20 fucking years ago?

That would have been the moral thing to do.
Visit up here, no card and pay cash. Just sayin' :)
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposedly we legalized it here in California but in typical California fashion you still can't legally buy it anywhere (unless you have a medical card).

My understanding is that in 2018 it will be open season. But this is California and I'm fairly confident that we will find a way to fuck this up.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
he seemed incapable of moving anyone outside of his own liberal viewpoint.

Anyone? That's not quite accurate. the Dream Act passed the House several times, and every time got a majority in the Senate. Just not quite 60 to end the filibuster enacted by the immigration hardliners (which included Sessions). For example in 2007 it got 52-44 "yea" vote in the Senate, with Republicans Bennett, Brownback, Coleman, Collins, Craig, Hagel, Hatch, Hutchison, Lott, Lugar, Martinez, and Snowe all voting for it. I count that as 12 Republicans that voted for it. And probably not all have them had Obama's "liberal viewpoint" on most issues. 8 Democrats voted "nay", though.

That's bi-partisan support, though, which is consistent with the broad support of the U.S. population in general.

But, yeah, Obama came up short if you want to assign the President full responsibility for getting legislation passed. But at least he seemed to put his full weight behind it.

It doesn't look like Trump is going to do that. He seems to be pushing the whole thing off as a "Congress problem" without providing any sort of push from the White House. From my perspective he seems to have kind of given up on Congress given he got burned in his first couple of attempts to work with the legislative branch. It is a bit rich talking about his "love" for the Dreamers, but then not actually doing any work to validate that rhetoric.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 5, 17 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple: "In a previous message, Mr. Cook said hundreds of Apple employees were covered by DACA."

Are they working in slave conditions?

Microsoft: “If Congress fails to act, our company will exercise its legal rights properly to help protect our employees. If the government seeks to deport any one of them, we will provide and pay for their legal counsel.”

Do they have shitty working conditions (beyond that of the typical MS worker)?

Univision: "Here at UCI we will continue to stand by them, including those talented DREAMers working at our company to advance our mission of entertaining, informing, and empowering the Hispanic community and the rising American mainstream we serve. Their stories are unmistakably American. They deserve better than this."

Again, more slavery here?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

Anyone? That's not quite accurate. the Dream Act passed the House several times, and every time got a majority in the Senate. Just not quite 60 to end the filibuster enacted by the immigration hardliners (which included Sessions). For example in 2007 it got 52-44 "yea" vote in the Senate, with Republicans Bennett, Brownback, Coleman, Collins, Craig, Hagel, Hatch, Hutchison, Lott, Lugar, Martinez, and Snowe all voting for it. I count that as 12 Republicans that voted for it. And probably not all have them had Obama's "liberal viewpoint" on most issues. 8 Democrats voted "nay", though.

That's bi-partisan support, though, which is consistent with the broad support of the U.S. population in general.

But, yeah, Obama came up short if you want to assign the President full responsibility for getting legislation passed. But at least he seemed to put his full weight behind it.

It doesn't look like Trump is going to do that. He seems to be pushing the whole thing off as a "Congress problem" without providing any sort of push from the White House. From my perspective he seems to have kind of given up on Congress given he got burned in his first couple of attempts to work with the legislative branch. It is a bit rich talking about his "love" for the Dreamers, but then not actually doing any work to validate that rhetoric.

but, but Obama...

oh you and your dumb facts!

Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like Trump is going to do that. He seems to be pushing the whole thing off as a "Congress problem" without providing any sort of push from the White House.

Does anyone know Trump's stand on Dreamer Status?

I've heard speeches but they were conflicting and I haven't heard what he actually thinks Congress should do. I realize it is the job of Congress but normally, the President would outline what he would like to see, and I haven't seen that.

Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
trail wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

but, but Obama...

oh you and your dumb facts!

Are you able to chime in with anything of relevance? From reading so many of your posts, it seems doubtful.

The reality is Obama (much like GW Bush) should/could have been able to work with both parties to get this done. Both were unable to do so because both, but more Obama then Bush, were unable to move Senators (sometime from his own party) to do what was right. That is the JOB of a President. Even Clinton knew he needed the Republicans. The hated Reagan was an expert at working with the Democrats, as was GHW Bush. GW Bush, Obama, neither had the ability or leadership skills to do so.

Obama picked so many fights with the Republican Party, spent so much time fighting the Culture Wars, demeaning anyone who disagreed with him, that he had ZERO chips to cash when it came time to get real, bi-partisan legislation passed. GW Bush? He actually proposed far more comprehensive immigration reform, but of course he was attacked by both parties (yes, Democrats fought him, likely for fear of him getting "credit") and he had ruined any hopes he had of getting solid, strong reform done due to his going into Iraq.

Trump cannot work with either party, but what he did in regards to DACA was a good move. It is time for Congress to get their collective shit together and pass something that makes sense. It really should not be that hard. Of course we are already seeing the Democrats in Congress and the Senate making fools of themselves instead of taking some responsibility and doing what is right.

Oh those dumb facts. I suggest you do some reading and educate yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Trail presented was largely factual. What you write above is your opinion, which is basically just Republican spin, that you're trying to dress as facts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is time for Congress to get their collective shit together and pass something that makes sense.

Again, please tell us what that "something" is. You are so long on complaints and utterly silent on what you would do. Do you support DACA as a stand-alone measure (like say, Hurrican Harvey relief, or debt ceiling bills), or do you tie conditions to it that would end up being completely unacceptable to most voters in this country, or do you oppose it. Stop "Congress blah, blah, blah" and take a personal stand on this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone know Trump's stand on...

The answer to this is the same for everything else: No.

It's whatever he says it is at the moment. Until it's not.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reality is Obama (much like GW Bush) should/could have been able to work with both parties to get this done. Both were unable to do so because both, but more Obama then Bush, were unable to move Senators (sometime from his own party) to do what was right. That is the JOB of a President.

If it's the job of the President to work with Congress, why isn't Trump working with Congress?

It seems to me that he wants Congress to pass a bill (which is the right thing to do) but he has once again absolved himself of any involvement, just as he did on healthcare. To this day I have no idea what his stand is on healthcare other than it's not working and has to be fixed. Now with this issue, I have no idea what his personal stand is, he just ordered Congress to get it done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...he (Trump) has once again absolved himself of any involvement, just as he did on healthcare.

It's the smart move. Trump is finally comprehending that anything he proposes turns to shit. He's toxic. Instead, put the burden on Congress. He probably figures he's a winner whether Congress passes something or not. He can sit back and watch D & R's as well as his base beat each other up instead of him for a while.

By himself, the only thing he can do is fiddle with Executive orders. It's become clear no one really wants him doing anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like a good opportunity to set up a one time exemption for the 800,000 to become citizens. Follow the process, pay your fee ($1,000 for children & $2,000 for the parents) and your legal by a certain date. If you choose NOT to go through the process, pay your fee BEFORE the date you get deported. Trump and/or congress could look like heros. $80,000,000. If gaining citizenship is important they will find a way .

They need to make the process as simple as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read though all 62 responses, so maybe someone corrected you on this already, BUT--
NO, illegal immigrants cannot join the U.S. military. Non-citizens/immigrants must have a green card valid for the entire period of their first enlistment.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What Trail presented was largely factual. What you write above is your opinion.........

I'll contend its not even his opinion. He just says whatever pops out of his head to make liberals wrong and conservatives right on whatever the topic of the moment is. This, my friends, is the Trump supporter.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Apple: "In a previous message, Mr. Cook said hundreds of Apple employees were covered by DACA."

Microsoft: “If Congress fails to act, our company will exercise its legal rights properly to help protect our employees. If the government seeks to deport any one of them, we will provide and pay for their legal counsel.”

Univision: "Here at UCI we will continue to stand by them, including those talented DREAMers working at our company to advance our mission of entertaining, informing, and empowering the Hispanic community and the rising American mainstream we serve. Their stories are unmistakably American. They deserve better than this."

So why either hire American citizens or grant full citizenship to DACA employees?

If these people are so important why aren't they being made full citizens?

For the record, I don't think they should be deported. I think that anything less than full citizenship is, in a way, cruel. I also think that the reasons they aren't being granted full citizenship are financial.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
klehner wrote:

So why either hire American citizens or grant full citizenship to DACA employees?

If these people are so important why aren't they being made full citizens?

For the record, I don't think they should be deported. I think that anything less than full citizenship is, in a way, cruel. I also think that the reasons they aren't being granted full citizenship are financial.
j

So, they aren't indentured servants or slaves, are they?

As for full citizenship: how can you not understand that there is no realistic path for them as they are here illegally?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dreamer Status [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, they aren't indentured servants or slaves, are they?

I would guess their legal status probably lowers wages for the positions they fill.

Look, there 800,000 dreamers. That's ostensibly 800,000 people competing for a finite number of jobs. Without even factoring in their legal status you have lowered wages just by the presence of 800,000 additional people in the work force.

Quote:
As for full citizenship: how can you not understand that there is no realistic path for them as they are here illegally?

Congress can make a realistic path. Call it amnesty or call an ice cream cone. I don't really care.

Congress passes laws. They can pass a law, can they not?

Edit to add: the double threads on the same subject made me somehow miss your reply.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Sep 7, 17 14:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next