Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law.
Quote | Reply
You have to wonder about some of these cultures - why they want to move here and how they expect to integrate into the mainstream.

http://www.bbc.com/...d-us-canada-41161103
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you trolling or being sarcastic?
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh....I get it....what you're saying is that the man should have beaten his wife himself instead of having his parents come over.
Proper integration means do the job yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole offshore outsourcing thing is getting ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it was an episode of the Sam Harris podcast where he was interviewing Sarah Haider, who is involved in an ex-Muslim group. She told him that before her family came to the US from Pakistan they were moderate to secular Muslims. But there was a bit of a culture shock when they arrived, and her family's reaction to it was to become more religious and conservative as a means of preventing the family from becoming corrupted. To her, it meant a more controlling and restrictive life than she had faced when living in Pakistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-XXQV3mZlg

I suspect that's not an uncommon reaction for many immigrants, especially when coming from a vastly different culture.
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Ahhhh....I get it....what you're saying is that the man should have beaten his wife himself instead of having his parents come over.
Proper integration means do the job yourself?

It's the American Way, mon frere. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I believe it was an episode of the Sam Harris podcast where he was interviewing Sarah Haider, who is involved in an ex-Muslim group. She told him that before her family came to the US from Pakistan they were moderate to secular Muslims. But there was a bit of a culture shock when they arrived, and her family's reaction to it was to become more religious and conservative as a means of preventing the family from becoming corrupted. To her, it meant a more controlling and restrictive life than she had faced when living in Pakistan.

I suspect that's not an uncommon reaction for many immigrants, especially when coming from a vastly different culture.

It used to be that immigrants completely and totally assimilated, by least the second or so generation, or they simply failed here in America.

Balkanization will be the least of our troubles in 50 or so years. Fortunately, I'll be long dead and won't have to worry about it. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8,000 miles, that's crazy! I think the limit should be 3,000 miles or handle the beating yourself - unless you've planned ahead and scored really cheap airfare and even then you'd want to align the trip with another event, perhaps a few days at DisneyWorld.

Otherwise, 8,000 really is crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, how else is she supposed to learn? /Pink

I know a western born and raised, attractive, blond blue eyed woman who married a conservative Muslim from Saudi Arabia. When they married, she had to convert, was no longer allowed to drive, go to school, etc. Her husband was away for weeks on end and essentially expected her wife to stay at home alone the whole time.

I have no idea what this woman saw in this guy, and must assume she is incredibly stupid for getting herself in to that situation. They divorced recently, and she had to take out a restraining order on his whole family because of the threats.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

It used to be that immigrants completely and totally assimilated, by least the second or so generation, or they simply failed here in America.

Balkanization will be the least of our troubles in 50 or so years. Fortunately, I'll be long dead and won't have to worry about it. ;-)

Is there any evidence that this is happening to a lesser degree with more recent immigrants?
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Are you trolling or being sarcastic?

I'm daring to throw political correctness to the wind and am suggesting that certain cultures may have norms that are less compatible with our society. Domestic violence happens in our society also but it is more ingrained as normal in certain cultures. The view many "liberals" have on immigration seems to be that we should be bending towards them rather than the other way around. I am pro immigration, but strongly feel that we need to be selective about who we let in.
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Well, how else is she supposed to learn? /Pink

I know a western born and raised, attractive, blond blue eyed woman who married a conservative Muslim from Saudi Arabia. When they married, she had to convert, was no longer allowed to drive, go to school, etc. Her husband was away for weeks on end and essentially expected her wife to stay at home alone the whole time.

I have no idea what this woman saw in this guy, and must assume she is incredibly stupid for getting herself in to that situation. They divorced recently, and she had to take out a restraining order on his whole family because of the threats.

Its more common than you think. I knew a woman whose daughter married a Saudi "prince". (everybody is a prince in Saudi). Now she can't get her grandchildren out of Saudi for a visit because her SOL doesn't want them to become "corrupted" by western society. Her daughter is effectively trapped there. I asked her why the daughter would ever marry a guy like that and she responded because her daughter was "a gold digger" who just wanted to marry a rich guy and was too naive to realize what she was getting into.

My old neighbor worked in Saudi Arabia for two years in the 1980's. He told me a story of how some veiled woman stood next to him in a marketplace and begged him to help her. She was British and had married/moved there and was now a slave in her own household. He was sympathetic but told her there was nothing he could do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what she did...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Chicks that "dress like whores" seem to be a big problem here in California. It's the main complaint I hear from my muslim clients.

"How can you let your women dress like whores?"

I always answer the same way...

"'Our women' (finger quote/unquote) do what they choose, and I fucking love it!"

Then I show them a gif like this on my phone...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

I'm daring to throw political correctness to the wind and am suggesting that certain cultures may have norms that are less compatible with our society. Domestic violence happens in our society also but it is more ingrained as normal in certain cultures. The view many "liberals" have on immigration seems to be that we should be bending towards them rather than the other way around. I am pro immigration, but strongly feel that we need to be selective about who we let in.

So you're serious?

Because if you had to pick a freaking' poster child for wildly successful, recent integration of another culture into the U.S., it'd be the Indians.

They achieve higher median incomes, higher education level, higher employment rate and lower overall crime rate than either native born citizens or any other immigrant group. They learn English faster than any other immigrant group. (source) They *very* rapidly achieve the highest levels of business (Microsoft CEO) and government (Nikki Haley). I'm friends with plenty of Indians in the tech world, and haven't noticed any beaten wives.

We need these people. At a minimum to be the productive generators of social security and Medicare revenue due to their general immigration as instantly productive workers. And in a more general sense to rejuvenate American culture in general.

It seems like you're throwing a lot of other things to the wind with political correctness, like rational thought.

I think what we really need to do is cut Florida loose:

Last edited by: trail: Sep 5, 17 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to wager I've worked with more Indians than anyone on this forum and never once have I encountered one that had to "learn" English either in England or in America.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Because if you had to pick a freaking' poster child for wildly successful, recent integration of another culture into the U.S., it'd be the Indians."

I certainly don't disagree on your comments about western educated/integrated people from India as they are fantastic immigrants, but you're conveniently ignoring the fact that India is probably the most multi diverse country on the planet in virtually every way. You're only talking about the elite. The people who traveled the 8000 miles to smack down their DOL were also from India. I'm sure this is a norm in their particular culture..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did she think she could change him?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea. Whatever she thought, she was an idiot for doing so. How you go in to a situation like that so naive is beyond me, especially when you are in your mid 20's, formally educated, etc.

When I was down in Cuba, I met a couple who were there visiting a friend . I guess this woman had gone to Cuba, met a Cuban guy she liked, married him and moved to Cuba. I'm pretty sure you can't hold dual Cuban citizenship, and they only issue 90 day tourist visas, so I wonder if she renounced her French citizenship and is now stuck there.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I have no idea. Whatever she thought, she was an idiot for doing so. How you go in to a situation like that so naive is beyond me, especially when you are in your mid 20's, formally educated, etc.

When I was down in Cuba, I met a couple who were there visiting a friend . I guess this woman had gone to Cuba, met a Cuban guy she liked, married him and moved to Cuba. I'm pretty sure you can't hold dual Cuban citizenship, and they only issue 90 day tourist visas, so I wonder if she renounced her French citizenship and is now stuck there.

You're not even close. The Cuban government is surprisingly liberal when a citizen marries a foreigner. The Cuban can leave the country and/or the spouse can live in Cuba. I know Cubans that have married to Canadian tourists and moved here and they go back and forth regularly. If you're a foreigner the only way to own property in Cuba is to marry a Cuban. You could live in Canada but own a house in Cuba, and houses there are very inexpensive by our standards. I know a guy who has done that as their retirement plan when he married a Cuban gal. She moved here but they want to spend their winters in Cuba. No wonder why there are so many hot chics chasing old guys or young studs hitting on middle aged divorced women tourists in Cuba.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
You're only talking about the elite.

I'm talking about the entire population of Indian immigrants.

You're only talking about one family. From Punjab, apparently.

So what do you mean by "some of these cultures?" That the U.S. should discriminate against certain culture with fine granularity, grading sub-regions within sub-regions (certainly not all of the Sikh-dominated Punjab adhere to this type of practice). Are you going to be the Minister of Culture who gives a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to each prospective Indian immigrant?

Seems silly to me, particularly granted that there's no larger pattern within Indian immigrants or visa holders that I'm aware of.

How about just look at criminal record and question about willingness to adhere to U.S. laws? (which we already do for immigrants and visa holders).

This is the worst kind of fear-mongering.

I'm far more worried about sub-cultures within the U.S. itself than about sub-cultures from Indian immigrants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm talking about the entire population of Indian immigrants."

May we then assume that you must know all of them?

You're talking about a country of huge diversity, multiple languages, multiple religions and cults, major gaps between rich/poor, tremendous poverty , an institutionalized racist caste system that is probably the most discriminatory in the entire world and 1.2 billion people. Gets a bit complicated doesn't it?

Throwing acid on women or burning brides for an insignificant dowry are all well documented in parts of Indian society. Hopefully not the ones that immigrate here, but occasionally it has actually happened.

I don't see why you don't get my point about being selective who we allow to immigrate here. The example used was a domestic abuse couple from India, but I wasn't tarnishing all Indian immigrants with the same brush. I agree that many Indian immigrants I've known tend to have integrated well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't see why you don't get my point about being selective who we allow to immigrate here.

We are already very selective about who we allow to immigrate here.

You seemed to be rejecting our current immigration policy.

So what exactly are you proposing to change, if anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Fly 8000 miles to beat up your daughter in law. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, not really. Plenty of Russian emigres in the early 20th century purposely did not because they were planning to go back to Russia in a few years. Some kept their language and their family support structures for 3 generations.

But for most part, the Indians, Pakistanis, Armenians, etc that I deal with on the day to day basis are experiencing the same phenomena - the generation born or largely raised here for most part grows up into your generic American myopic, video game playing slackers :) Hell, my kids are no different no matter how hard we try to expose to other countries cultures. CS Go is their religion.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply