Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Family Trip - Branson, MO
Quote | Reply
We're looking at options for a family vacation the second week of October. We have an 11 y/o, twin 9 y/o's, and a 6 y/o. My wife brought up Branson, so I checked it out a bit. Looks like we could get a condo or cabin on the nearby lake, which would allow us to do some kayaking, fishing, that type of thing. Then we could go into Branson for the shows and other attractions.

Has anyone done family trip like this and want to share their opinion. My only concern is that some of the lodges mention the marinas are normally open through September. I looked and the past few years the temps are in the 70's, which I'd think would be good for being on the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Family Trip - Branson, MO [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it hard to believe any marinas close up after September. At the Lake of the Ozarks--about 120 miles northeast of Branson--our marinas are still open and active through the end of October. The weather can be really nice or really ugly in October, but on the nice days and weekends, there are plenty of boaters and fishermen out there.

Rather than relying on information from the lodges, I'd contact some marinas directly to find out if they'll be open--if indeed you need a marina. (If you have your own kayaks or fishing boat, you may get by with just using a boat ramp in a state park.) You could get an even quicker answer by contacting one of the local fishing guides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of shows and attractions do they have in Branson?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but why Branson? Is it close, or do you like the acts that perform there?
Quote Reply
Re: Family Trip - Branson, MO [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I'm sorry, but why Branson? Is it close, or do you like the acts that perform there?

My wife's idea. Looking for something new to do with the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you asked about the marinas what specifically are you looking for?
  • Boat rental? If so what kind?
  • Boat moorage?
  • A place to launch your boat?
  • On the water fuel refills?

Call the marinas directly. Some might shut down mid-week but most of them are operational on weekends almost all year.

Loads of family friendly stuff to do-- Silver Dollar City was a bit hit with my kids up through about age 25 and I still like going there for the crafts, side shows, and 1880's theme.

The music shows are of the 1960's variety show format, jokes, entertainment, music. Good wholesome family stuff with nothing off-color. It's true mid-west Americana.

Shopping is tacky as most tourist places are, Branson Landing in a new(ish) shopping place on Lake Tanycomo (great trout fishing, the water is colder than heck). There used to be some great outlet malls but those have gone the way of the dodo and what's left are fake outlet stores-- brand name stores selling the lower priced stuff at no better deal than you can get back home or one line.

Table Rock is generally skiable in October... might be a tad chilly but not frigid.

Tanycomo avoids the carnival-like atmosphere of Table Rock Lake but both should be relatively calm in Oct. when the height of the tourist season has abated.

Some cool short hikes just of Highway 76 west of Branson. Some better hikes 30 minutes south of there in Arkansas. Loads of elk in the Boxley valley... same thing, about 30 minutes or so south. It's a pretty drive down there, you won't be disappointed.. unless you're from the Canadian Rockies, then you'll be mad and want your gas money refunded.

I live just north of there... lemme know if I can track down anything for you
Quote Reply
Re: Family Trip - Branson, MO [daleagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleagain wrote:
When you asked about the marinas what specifically are you looking for?
  • Boat rental? If so what kind?
  • Boat moorage?
  • A place to launch your boat?
  • On the water fuel refills?

I was thinking we may want to rent a pontoon or maybe a fishing boat. We don't spend much time on the water, so they haven't done any water skiing or tubing. If the weather is nice I'd like to give it a try. Most likely we'd rent kayaks.

Thanks for the other info.

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its been a long time since I visited Branson (33 years) we had our honeymoon there. My brother went in last few years. Lots of things to do. One I did not see mentioned was the Shepard of the Hills outdoor drama. I see that is offered twice a week in early Oct. Maybe someone can comment on it, but I think it can be entertaining for kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent the pontoon boat, skip the fishing boat unless you guys are hard core. Way more fun for kids on a pontoon with all the seats and a flat floor, you can fish or tube or just ride around.

Some marinas to check with--
Indian Point
State Park Marina
Scotties Trout Dock on Tanycomo for fishing but the lake is narrow and too cold for tubing
Long Creek Marina
Big M Marina-- on a more quiet part of the lake

Not sure who to call for kayaks in Branson but Lake Springfield in, duh, Springfield rents kayaks at The Boathouse, and the lake is sheltered so it seldom gets rough. Rentals are cheap, it's part of the Springfield parks system. Plenty of places to kayak and explore with kids; it's lake kayaking there, not white water. There's a cool nature center nearby thats worth exploring if you end up in Springfield.
Quote Reply