Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ski or ride Mt. Bachelor?
Quote | Reply
Pros, cons, tips.

Any info would be nice.

How crowded is it between Xmas and new year?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ski or ride Mt. Bachelor? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there many times. It can be busy at that time also can not have to much snow. It's a great place to ski or ride with a wide variety of terrain. Plus Bend is a great place to hang out. Sunriver is a very popular place for local Oregonians to go for the holidays which makes things busy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is a good local resort. I would not choose it as a destination location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good riding on/around Cascade Lakes Hwy in the summer, but during the winter they only plow it far enough to keep access open to/from Bend; the rest of the scenic loop on the other side of the hill becomes a snowmobile route (unless you mean that kind of riding, vs cycling). I don't ski, so all my info on that is second-hand; what I do know is that many of my skiing friends are willing to make the extra drive right past Willamette Pass and/or Hoodoo (and pay higher lift prices on top of that) to ski Bachelor instead, so it's clearly a bigger draw.

I also recall we did a family get-together for the holidays in Central OR once and my in-laws all wanted to go there even though they're not at all hard-core skiers/snowboarders ~ so that's another n=1 that it draws additional "Oooh, I hear Bachelor is the shit!" crowds over the holidays from outside the area, that don't normally hit the slopes on a regular basis. Whether that's a 10% or 50% boost I have no idea.

Oh, one other tidbit... Some kid (I say 'kid'; probably college-age) got killed there a few years back when he tried to dirtbag it on the cheap by camping out in the parking lot overnight and got run over while sleeping at like 5am by a snow cat doing the early morning maintenance rounds across the lot. Don't be that guy.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Sep 6, 17 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ski or ride Mt. Bachelor? [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:

"Good local resort" is a destination location in the Duffy family.

Thanks.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
COBRI wrote:

"Good local resort" is a destination location in the Duffy family.

Thanks.

Keep tabs on the snow, some years the resorts up here don't get decent snow until the new year. I like Bend, its a fun town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has a lot of terrain (5th most in US). Nice mountain because you can ski blues off the summit, but some double blacks too. Snow is usually very good, visibility is frequently poor. A clear day maybe half of the time, other times 100-200 feet of visibility of less. Summit lift is closed about half of the time due to visibility, wind or avy control, but all other lifts are usually going if there is enough snow. They do minimal grooming (I say this as a skier originally from the east where grooming is very prevalent), so a nice natural surface.

As stated, the mountain has no lodging, but the day lodge at the base and Pine Marten are nice, with good food and beer. You can RV camp in their parking lot, even in winter and they have pay showers.

Bend is an awesome town to stay in though (30 minute drive to mountain), with many cheap lodging options. Generally you can stay in local budget (but still clean and safe) hotels for $60 per night. Motel West is my current go to, run by a nice Indian family. Lots of brew pubs to eat at. Even though they are a little corporate, 10 Barrel and Deschutes have great food and lots of pub only beers. Local spots I like are Brother Johns Public House, Crux Brewing and Immersion brewing for dinner and Victorian Cafe and Sparrow Bakery for breakfast.

If you come up, maybe I would even show you around.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Sep 6, 17 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ski or ride Mt. Bachelor? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Our trip is primarily meeting a few people from all over and Bend is the central meeting point. We're staying in an Airbnb in Bend.

The snowboarding is a side trip.

Thanks again for the info..

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply