Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I hate this amazing place I live [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got family right smack dab in the middle of the Quartz Creek fire in MT. The haven't left, I've tried to get them to head to Denver, but I can understand they don't want to leave, my fear is by the time they do it'll be too late.

They own some earth moving/excavating equipment, so I'm pretty sure they've setup a good fire break around the homestead. Yesterday their viability was at 500' . Hardy folk, those Montanans.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I hate this amazing place I live [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I've got family right smack dab in the middle of the Quartz Creek fire in MT. The haven't left, I've tried to get them to head to Denver, but I can understand they don't want to leave, my fear is by the time they do it'll be too late.

They own some earth moving/excavating equipment, so I'm pretty sure they've setup a good fire break around the homestead. Yesterday their viability was at 500' . Hardy folk, those Montanans.

Had to look that one up. They are in stage 2 evac which is pre-evac (interesting learning experience on fire stages, evac stages, etc for me). Good news for them is they are reporting 90% of the fire borders being under control. I'd say VERY hardy folks over there. There was an interesting piece I'll have to dig up later recently written by someone in western MT. Main point was the attention Harvey folks are getting in TX while Montana has essentially been on fire for months w/absolutely no federal aid. It was done in a tactful/thoughtful way as to not take away from what's going on in TX but a very interesting point I had not considered. Just snagged it linked here.

The info I found on the Quartz Creek fire.

If memory serves you're originally from CDA. Wondering if you remember the fire seasons being this bad back in the 80s/90s? Granted we were in Chicago 2003-2016 so have not had a front seat to the evolution but I don't recall these type of fire conditions. Worst thing I can remember is simply the ag fields being burned annually.

To be fair though I grew up in Post Falls so we were likely just too busy huffing gas and plotting to steal CDA women (I was successful!).
Last edited by: Skipjack: Sep 5, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back down to 246. It's sad when that feels relieving to me. I live maybe 6-8 miles as the crow flies from mica peak (washington, though they share the same ridgeline essentially) and can't see it. Looking across my neighborhood park the houses on the other side look like 75 percent "opacity," if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Had to look that one up. They are in stage 2 evac which is pre-evac (interesting learning experience on fire stages, evac stages, etc for me). Good news for them is they are reporting 90% of the fire borders being under control. I'd say VERY hardy folks over there. There was an interesting piece I'll have to dig up later recently written by someone in western MT. Main point was the attention Harvey folks are getting in TX while Montana has essentially been on fire for months w/absolutely no federal aid. It was done in a tactful/thoughtful way as to not take away from what's going on in TX but a very interesting point I had not considered. Just snagged it linked here.

The info I found on the Quartz Creek fire.

If memory serves you're originally from CDA. Wondering if you remember the fire seasons being this bad back in the 80s/90s? Granted we were in Chicago 2003-2016 so have not had a front seat to the evolution but I don't recall these type of fire conditions. Worst thing I can remember is simply the ag fields being burned annually.

To be fair though I grew up in Post Falls so we were likely just too busy huffing gas and plotting to steal CDA women (I was successful!).

Yep, originally from CDA, but I left the NW area altogether in 1989, just visit now when I can. I spent a ton of summer time in PF at my aunt and uncle's farm out on Harmon Road. The only fires I really remember were the controlled burns all around. Maybe the occasional blaze out by Lake CDA but nothing of this magnitude.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I hate this amazing place I live [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In BC we've been using a "1-10" scale where 1-3 is low risk, 4-6 moderate risk, 7-10 high risk and above 10 is extremely high. I'm not sure how this translates to the scale you reference, but my wimpy-ass lungs couldn't handle it when Vancouver was at 7 or 8 for two weeks.

I just had to bail on a super cool volunteer opportunity for work because I'm afraid the air quality in the province's interior will be too bad for me to travel there. Kamloops was at 49 on the above scale earlier this summer.

At home I have a dehumidifier with a hepa filter and that makes a big difference. The HVAC system at work seems to bring nothing but smoke into the building, I swear it's better air quality outside work than in right now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... it sucks.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: I hate this amazing place I live [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We drove from Calgary to San Diego this summer. Smoke from here to Utah.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Up to AQI 274 now...
It's been a month since I've been on my bike between work and the air quality.
I was going to go paddle board this morning but cancelled because of ash falling on my car as I went to load up..

It reached over 400 in SW OR parts of Mon/Tues. All our outside activities got cancelled and pool closed (son lifeguards; daughter had a water polo game scheduled). It's looked and smelled bad for quite awhile, but it got really bad when the creosote taste started lingering in your mouth around the clock.

And, only cuz I'm too lazy to take it over to the Cry Like a Biatch thread ~ Worst part is all the ash peppering the dash/upholstery of the new (to me) car I just got last week... :(
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Sep 6, 17 15:03
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: I hate this amazing place I live [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
realAB wrote:
Yeah ... it sucks.

What really sucks is what started it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...egon-giggling-teens/

That sucks but it's not the main one smoking out Spokane. There are roughly 175 fires burning out west right now. Word is the one closest to the Skipjack Estate was started by college kids out shooting firearms and being careless. Many others (specifically Montana and around the Clearwater region in Idaho) were started by lightening.

Rain should be coming later this week but good chance it's accompanied by lightning..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still 272 in Spokane. Word is improvement is coming in the next day or two?

My Honeywell Hepa air filter thingy just got here. Maybe it's placebo (and I don't care if it is) but my room feels the best in the house. Looking forward to be able to go outside again.

I went and took pictures the other day just to document what it's like and editing them sucked. You can't really make pictures look good when it's an orange haze in front of you everywhere you look (:
Maybe I'll post a few in a couple minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Not the best photos but I have more, just a cruddy orange haze
Last edited by: Koala Bear: Sep 7, 17 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been super hazy the last few days up in Victoria. Like, you're able to look directly at the sun type hazy.

But I just got home from a run and it was raining!! Just a sprinkle, but hopefully enough to knock the smoke down.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It rained! Just a little bit, but enough to knock the smoke down just a little. Air quality index now 216.

The bummer though is if the rain registered at the airport then we were one day shy of tying the record for our longest dry spell.
2nd place ain't bad I suppose
Quote Reply

Prev Next