Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports?
Quote | Reply
Lots of discussion watching the USOpen about the Americans left in the draw and how great that is, particularly as it's the US Open. For me, other than the Olympics, I'm not inclined to root for any athlete simply because they identify as American (I only say it that way because so many live and train in America but wear the flag of a different country).

As a side note, I was really rooting for the American boat in the America's Cup because nothing is more American than a billionaire hiring a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis to race a boat designed in Europe to claim the America's Cup!!!

In tennis, you'll see groups in the stands with the flag of their home country screaming chants in between points. I find it a bit odd.
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, except for Curling. Then I root for Canada, because Canada has been very very good to me.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not.

I find myself pulling for the underdog a lot of the time. Sometimes that's the US athlete(s). USA ice hockey in 1980. The US men's soccer team in the world cup. Lance Armstrong from 1999-2001. Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova. Any US male triathlete since Tim DeBoom.

But some of the time it's a case of men vs. boys when it comes to US athletes vs. the rest of the world in international sports. Among others, Shaun White (back in 2006 and 2010). Serena Williams. The US Ryder Cup team. The US women's soccer team. They all were/are really good, but it's fun to see the underdog knock them off.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except for the Olympics or something similar where it's countries playing against each other (like the Ryder Cup in golf), no, I root for just about anybody. I usually just like seeing a good competition between teams or individuals. If an American wins, great, if not, no biggie. There's a fair number of golfers, for instance, that aren't American that I root for (like Lee Westwood, or Sergio...I was really happy to see him win the Masters).

Quote | Reply
I always root for my country i.e. Olympics world cup etc. but not always my countrymen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up near Toronto but my favorite hockey team was the Boston Bruins (my Father's favorite team). In Baseball, I cheer for the Blue Jays (of course) and won't watch baseball if they aren't playing.

My favorite soccer team is Holland (both parents from there) but Canada doesn't have a good team so not a real choice. In golf, none of my favorite players are Canadian but I would like to see one win (I followed Mike Weir when he was a good player and cheered for him to win the Masters). If it was Rory and Adam Hadwin playing in the final group on a Sunday, I would likely cheer for the Canadian because I would think he will never get the chance again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympics - yes, USA!
World Cup - nope. Hup Holland Hup!
all other sports - loyalties lie with whichever side has the hottest males

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I root for the U.S.A without fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the Orica Scott cycling team based entirely on their excellent Go-Pro daily video updates. They are charming and funny. The video they did of Matt Hayman winning Paris Roubaix is terrific.

Everything else is USA
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much exactly, if it is countries playing each other then Canada all the time, if it is individuals or non nation based teams it likely isn't a Canadian.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [abies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't watch sports often enough to care about individuals or teams, so if I'm watching I always go for the American. Except obviously in bobsled, for that I always root for Jamaica.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need break this into two categories, team and individual sports.

On the team front I seem to most always root for the home team USA.

In the individual it is a mixed bag. Always rooting for our swimmers, track and field and running not so much.

And bowling and poker I'm usually rooting for non Americans, go with the underdogs...
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I always root for my country i.e. Olympics world cup etc. but not always my countrymen

This pretty much covers it. Individuals I don't really even think of where they are from. But if it is a sport I don't follow much and don't know anything about the athletes I tend to gravitate towards the home country.

An exception might be basketball. And that might be because upsets are fun. The US ever losing in basketball is a huge upset and the NBA players now frequently don't seem to care all that much and their opponents really really do.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympics - Typically for Canada, if Canada is not competitive in the sport then for USA (many years spent living there), Poland or Malaysia (family ties) Occasional I'll cheer for others (i.e. Usain Bolt coz' he's incredible, those competing without a flag, and generally for any great looking, skimpy dressed ladies.)
World Cup FIFA - Poland because of family ties and they are generally competitive. But once they are eliminated I like Germany, Japan and South Korea.
World Cup Hockey - Canada (duh'). But if Canada is out, the USA.
UCI Cycling - nationality of rider / team is irrelevant. If I like the 'cut of your jib', I'll cheer for you
Tennis - same as above. Roger Federer automatically gets my cheers regardless of who he's playing against. Bonus points if you're a hottie ladies.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: A Labor Day Topic - Do You Always Root for Your Country in Sports? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
I'm a fan of the Orica Scott cycling team based entirely on their excellent Go-Pro daily video updates. They are charming and funny. The video they did of Matt Hayman winning Paris Roubaix is terrific.

Everything else is USA

If you haven't seen it yet watch the All for One movie on the Orica Greenedge team. I saw it last week - excellent movie.
Quote Reply