Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS 2017 - water temps
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Just saw the race director for SOS post a wet suit update on FB. My girlfriend is doing this race for the first time. She is a strong swimmer, was planning on wearing a swim skin for the race , but now the water temp is making that decision questionable. Any suggestions on what type of wetsuit to wear if the Temps are 65 or below. Or any creative solutions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [Sam2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Orca Swimrun Core wetsuit- $200 for a dedicated swimrun suit - plenty of demand for you to sell it after. What's the air temp? Can zip down the front of the suit. Not sure if the new two piece is available yet for $50 more.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As it's a bit late in the game to try to find a actual swimrun wetsuit (also don't really want to spend $$$), anyone have experience modifying an old wetsuit fro this purpose? I assume cutting legs and/or arms short?
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [Rrr8400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple googling will find info for modifying s w/s for SwimRun - cut down stages so as my to cut off too much

http://blog.worldofswimrun.com/...gear-get-race-ready/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iev46RECE08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry. I have done it 12x and it was never even close to being unswimmable with a swimskin (which I have done every single time). And I get cold very easily. They send out this e-mail every year as a precaution. She will be fine. The chance of needing a wetsuit is very very remote.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting, Baliman. I'm a first timer, a guy, and planned to wear tri shorts and a tri top. I swam Minne last weekend like that and I was totally fine. I could handle the logistics of switching to shorty wetsuit but would rather not. Like you I get cold easily but can usually handle cold water swims. Just worrying about having unexpected problems due to the water temp drop since last weekend. Would you say I should be concerned? I don't have a swimskin and have never used one.
Last edited by: jeremiahfm: Sep 8, 17 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [jeremiahfm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree ... it's not the actual swimming in cold water that is the problem ... but the increased likelihood of cramping because of the cold water. The only time I cramp during the year is at SOS and it correlates with water temperature. The good news is that it goes away after a minute ... for pretty much everybody I know in the race. Some sort of neoprene garment (vest, shortie, etc) will ameliorate cramping ... probably because you need to spend less effort on maintaining a good position in the water. To answer your question ... my guess is that you will be fine either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Baliman!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [jeremiahfm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe we are closer to 64 now. Personally, I think that changes options. A 64 swim without a wetsuit and lacking any cold water build up prior could be challenging. I will be there and can't wait. Still exploring wetsuit options.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danny, I heard you were worried Phil was going to beat you out of the water with his new swim/run wetsuit...(or at least that's what Kenny told me hahaha)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is doing the race this year for the first time and is going to run in an old wetsuit with the legs cut off right around the knee. The plan is to take off the top 1/2 and tie the arms around her waist during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would respectfully venture that cramps DO NOT "go away after a minute... for pretty much everyone..." I assume we discussing leg cramps. I can still recollect several swimmers huddling on the shore on Minny from midpoint on in one of the colder race of 1980's. And spectacle of cramped out athletes in Minny swim-out transition is pretty common. I seen athletes spending more than a several minutes trying to alleviate cramping there or hobbling along the trail toward the first outlooks.

I would also venture that both water temps and physiological effort/fitness preparations are guilty parties to cramping in Minny. If you sprint last 5 miles on the bike and push your run 1, if not honest with your fitness abilities, cramping (defined as contractual endurance limit of muscle fiber) will manifest itself. I am certain that some people might mistake your observations (based on N=1 or slightly large sample set) for absolute truth. The reality is that every individual participant in this survival race might have very different experience. So it is better for every newbie to consider various scenarios instead of going with the wishful hopes. My advice will be to take it easy on the bike and first run to minimize "mechanical" reasons for cramping on a swim, periodically flex lower leg/ankle joints (dorsiflexion) while swimming, play with stroke rate to periodically (if needed) bring inner core temps up, and be prepared to swim "towing" cramped leg or two.

And if you own a wetsuit or similar swimming thermal protection and acquainted with cramping, of course you should use it. No shame here. Your personal safety is critical. With 20+ SOS races in my race resume, I learned not to proselytize about "purity" of this event... after all, long time ago, there were no "buffets" on a course. Whatever will get you to the finish (with some level of suffering) is the point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of last Thurs & Fri, the lake temps were fine for swimming sans wettie.

It likely got a little colder since then, between the rain and cold overnight temps, but should still be fine.
For better or worse, each swim is preceded and followed by a run, and that run has part of it as climbing. That'll help warm us up a bit.

I am toying w maybe bringing my DeSoto T1 sleeveless top, since it's really small and light, and would definitely keep my torso warm.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: SOS 2017 - water temps [Distance Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No argument. There are many ways to sabotage your race ... or being kinda unprepared (we have all been there) ... and all of them increase the likelihood of cramping. Cramping in Minnewaska is in my experience actually much less likely to happen than coming out of Awosting or Mohonk.

And yet, most people who didn't make one of the two mistakes noted above ... will be able to run their cramps off rather quickly.

As for wetsuits ... as I mentioned in another thread ... there are some options. Agreed ... no shame.

Distance Boy wrote:
I would respectfully venture that cramps DO NOT "go away after a minute... for pretty much everyone..." I assume we discussing leg cramps. I can still recollect several swimmers huddling on the shore on Minny from midpoint on in one of the colder race of 1980's. And spectacle of cramped out athletes in Minny swim-out transition is pretty common. I seen athletes spending more than a several minutes trying to alleviate cramping there or hobbling along the trail toward the first outlooks.

I would also venture that both water temps and physiological effort/fitness preparations are guilty parties to cramping in Minny. If you sprint last 5 miles on the bike and push your run 1, if not honest with your fitness abilities, cramping (defined as contractual endurance limit of muscle fiber) will manifest itself. I am certain that some people might mistake your observations (based on N=1 or slightly large sample set) for absolute truth. The reality is that every individual participant in this survival race might have very different experience. So it is better for every newbie to consider various scenarios instead of going with the wishful hopes. My advice will be to take it easy on the bike and first run to minimize "mechanical" reasons for cramping on a swim, periodically flex lower leg/ankle joints (dorsiflexion) while swimming, play with stroke rate to periodically (if needed) bring inner core temps up, and be prepared to swim "towing" cramped leg or two.

And if you own a wetsuit or similar swimming thermal protection and acquainted with cramping, of course you should use it. No shame here. Your personal safety is critical. With 20+ SOS races in my race resume, I learned not to proselytize about "purity" of this event... after all, long time ago, there were no "buffets" on a course. Whatever will get you to the finish (with some level of suffering) is the point!
Quote Reply