Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimskin advice
Quote | Reply
My second post seeking advice.

I can't figure out how a swimskin helps one swim faster over and above a good tri kit. For those who have used one, how is that they make you faster?

By the way, I'm a terrible swimmer. In my upcoming race on Sunday I may be 2,000th out of 2500 in the swim whereas my bike will probably be 1000th and the run 500th. Of course, the competition on Sunday will be pretty darn good, but still, my swim is my weak link.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They make you more sleak and smooth you out in the water, hydrodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
They make you more sleak and smooth you out in the water, hydrodynamics.

most triathletes are pretty slim so how does that happen?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure a lot of people on here will tell you otherwise but I agree. Only proof I have is at Kona in a few years ago myself and a friend who pretty much always swim the same time including the 3.8km on course swim race the week before both wearing just swim briefs, in IM and 70.3 with wetsuits. Our coach in his day who would often lead pros out the water here in Australia and set course records said don't bother wearing one it is no advantage. Listening to all the propaganda that the companies spin I bought one and swum in it for the race and my mate didn't. Low and behold we were both within 20 seconds of each other in the race. That said I keep wearing it now I have it at non wetsuit races. FOMO
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ do you mean to say you were 20s ahead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
My second post seeking advice.

I can't figure out how a swimskin helps one swim faster over and above a good tri kit. For those who have used one, how is that they make you faster?

By the way, I'm a terrible swimmer. In my upcoming race on Sunday I may be 2,000th out of 2500 in the swim whereas my bike will probably be 1000th and the run 500th. Of course, the competition on Sunday will be pretty darn good, but still, my swim is my weak link.

If you have a tight fitting sleeveless tri kit I can't see a need based on some heavy personal testing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I was in front but it was about the same 20 sec as every other swim I usually beat them by. No conceivable difference to any other swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only comparison was I was slightly slower in a recent sprint with a sleeveless huub wetsuit then my sleeveless tri kit. But I chalk that up to it being more crowded and getting hit and bumped more and having to swim around ppl. Maybe I should swim over ppl .... which honestly I feel like some do to me.

My next tri, I was going to give the swimskin a go... but the distance is longer then my normal sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My (more limited) experience as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most triathlon suits are loose fitting by swimming standards. That loose clothing creates a lot of drag. A swimskin is tighter and holds it all in. Most of the time I would prefer an ITU trisuit for sprint or oly

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Sep 2, 17 20:04
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
Most triathlon suits are loose fitting by swimming standards. That loose clothing creates a lot of drag. A swimskin is tighter and holds it all in. Most of the time I would prefer an ITU trisuit for sprint or oly

If they are loose fitting swimming they will be loosing fitting biking. That isn't good. I had a suit that I could feel flapping around the neck a bit while swimming. It "felt" slow because of that flapping, but the clock did not lie. It still beat the swimskins. I think the real key is to get a tight fighting suit. That also probably means you will get less races out of it as it stretches out. One of the benefits of the swimskins is that it seemed to retain the shape and tightness without sagging thru the weeks of testing. That was only for one of the suits, the other suits was made of a different material and that swimskin seemed like it also stretched and slowed down as testing continued. It was also wet everyday the next day, while the skin that stayed tight was dry.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A proper fitted TT skinsuit is loose compared with an size 26 arena carbon pro. I said loose by swimming standards.

Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
A proper fitted TT skinsuit is loose compared with an size 26 arena carbon pro. I said loose by swimming standards.

you aint kidding.. I got one of those fast speedo jammers X-whatever in my correct size according to the website and thought to myself this is going to take awhile to get on... damn thing is tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskin advice [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just think how Santo puts his size 24 on...

Quote Reply