Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching cranks
Quote | Reply
So here is my challenge.

Currently ride a 177.5 53T crank.

A friend has an extra 175 55T crank.

I'm really wanting to get the 55T, but my A race is 5 weeks away, is that a good idea. I have ridden the 177.5 for about 2 years.

So my buddy is telling me I should be more comfortable and able to spin faster with the shorter crank is that so? Does 2.5 MM really even make a difference? How much will I need to tweak fit or can I just replace and ride as is?

For reference I'm 6'7, 220 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching cranks [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it. 2.5mm is ~1/10 of an inch so less than the difference between riding with a very thin versus thick chamois. It's pretty darn inconsequential. Cyclists have been known to accidentally have a larger difference between the two sides for a who;e season and not notice.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching cranks [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is something I have played a lot with. Before going to Ironman and was just in to cycling I ran 177.5 on my tt bike and 175 on my road bike stemming from when longer cranks was considered to give you the advantage. On going to triathlon and Ironman 4 years I have tried every length in 5mm intervals as short as 150 which I found too short and over stressed my back. I settled at 160 on my tri bike, 170 on my road bike and 165 tt bike. You are quite tall so I guess not that unreasonable to have cranks that long but I think shorter cranks are the way to go and it has done the exact opposite to me as my cadence has slowed from high 90's to low 80's in the process. I don't think at the length of your legs very little difference of 2.5mm. John Cobb has a few good articles including this on. For reference I'm 6'

http://www.cobbcycling.com/crank-length-coming-full-circle/
Quote Reply
Re: Switching cranks [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the input, sounds like you would have no concern but also expect no real free improvement.
Quote Reply