Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "At the end of the day" [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sideways wrote:
"You're another day older."

My daughter sings in a choir and sang some Les Mis tunes so every time I hear someone say "at the end of the day" this instantly pops into my head.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"At the end of the day" is very status quo and fatalistic.

The millennial punks now write "EOD" as a short form when responding in writing.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"bubble it up"
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like, know what I mean? Ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only use EOD to indicate either a deadline or when I will supply something and prefer it to COB because I either don't need it until the next day or have to work in the evening to finish it. I wouldn't use it if I was going to summarize something.
Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
inbox me.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [abies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abies wrote:
I only use EOD to indicate either a deadline or when I will supply something and prefer it to COB because I either don't need it until the next day or have to work in the evening to finish it. I wouldn't use it if I was going to summarize something.
Ben

Same. "EOD" is not the same as "at the end of the day" in most workplaces. I've also never seen "at the end of the day" be used in an authoritative/ranking/challenging manner. Where I work, it's almost more of an honest assessment phrase. "At the end of the day, this is where we stand."

The new buzzword in my company is "candidly." One executive used it no less than 15 times in a 30 minute meeting the other day.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I agree that "at the end of the day" is an overused corporate-speak phrase. But, how is it an attempt to make the speaker look smarter or more knowledgeable?

I always took it to mean "after all is said and done" or "to summarize".

It's an attempt at conformity. Not smarter or more knowledgeable but safe and protective.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
"reach out" instead of contact

http://www.youtube.com/...MTXFu8No&t=1m39s

Somebody embed this will ya!
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a leadership conference yesterday and the presenter said, "You lead best when the shepherd smells like the sheep".
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I was in a leadership conference yesterday and the presenter said, "You lead best when the shepherd smells like the sheep".

I worked on a project in Indonesia with a bunch of New Zealanders. They smelled like sheep. The only way that was from Leadership was if Leadership is a 100 proof drink.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
I agree that "at the end of the day" is an overused corporate-speak phrase. But, how is it an attempt to make the speaker look smarter or more knowledgeable?

I always took it to mean "after all is said and done" or "to summarize".

Yes, it means "to summarize" to some extent, but as I've seen it used, it is more like:

"let ME summarize"

or

"this discussion over as I will now summarize and no further discussion is necessary"

Often the person who uses the phrase claims that discussion is over per his call. So the person is either exercising authority in the meeting or claiming to be in position of authority per his knowledge. So to challenge the "end of day" claim, you must challenge the person directly.

If the boss says, "at the end of the day," it means, shut up I'm done with this discussion. If a peer says, "at the end of the day" you decide whether to say, "it may be the end of your day, but the sun has just risen on this issue because you haven't considered . . . ."

As I see it used most often, it's meant as a wrap-up acknowledgement of an unpopular or regrettable but necessary decision, as in "Here are all the caveats, disclaimers, and known pitfalls ~ blah blah blah ~ but at the end of the day we still gotta go w/ Plan C..."

It's basically subbed out 'nevertheless' but perhaps sounds more folksy and less stilted.
Quote Reply
Re: "At the end of the day" [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fond of "be that as it may" when dismissing concerns and indicating that a course of action has been chosen.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day...

We will all have agree to disagree!
Quote Reply

Prev Next