Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
$500k winging its way to the nurse.

Neither here nor there as far as what the nurse gets out of it, but honestly doesn't seem like enough to make the Salt Lake City govt. take notice. Hopefully, the bad publicity did.

Thats what i thought also. I had expected it to be more.

Taking money from cash-strapped municipalities does not cause said local government to "take notice." It causes them to make budget cuts that often further create a disservice to the local population. It is ignorant and short-sighted.

it also leads to policy changes. Not every time, but it does.

I have spent the past 20 years representing municipalities. It does far more harm than good, in almost every single situation. Same thing when a school district gets hit with a large monetary penalty. The taxpayer is the real loser in every single one of these cases.

So whats the solution then? People like the nurse just accepting when theyre fucked over? Suing is the only real way they have to fight back.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

Neither here nor there as far as what the nurse gets out of it, but honestly doesn't seem like enough to make the Salt Lake City govt. take notice. Hopefully, the bad publicity did.

Taking money from cash-strapped municipalities does not cause said local government to "take notice." It causes them to make budget cuts that often further create a disservice to the local population. It is ignorant and short-sighted.

Bad nurse. bad, bad nursey. Now, because of her, others want get money. bad nursey.

Given my assertion earlier that the nurse SHOULD sue, it is obvious that is not my position. That said, do you really believe this nurse was "harmed" to the tune of $500k???

Hitting municipalities with large financial penalties as a "punishment" does more harm to the residents of the municipality than good.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
softrun wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

Bad nurse. bad, bad nursey. Now, because of her, others want get money. bad nursey.

Given my assertion earlier that the nurse SHOULD sue, it is obvious that is not my position. That said, do you really believe this nurse was "harmed" to the tune of $500k???

Hitting municipalities with large financial penalties as a "punishment" does more harm to the residents of the municipality than good.

Ok

Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Suing is the only real way they have to fight back.

lol. What is it that she's fighting back against? Was the officer not disciplined? Is there some ongoing injustice that a financial penalty stands to remedy?

It's the only way to cash in. It's opportunistic. Plain and simple.

I'd imagine a half million dollars could go a long way in adding value to that community. Library expansion, playground improvement, civic program funding.

I'm sure she offered to drop the suit if the department made certain necessary changes, right?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Nov 1, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
veganerd wrote:

lol. What is it that she's fighting back against? Was the officer not disciplined? Is there some ongoing injustice that a financial penalty stands to remedy?

The nurse was assaulted. She had her rights infringed. She wasnt looking for a lawsuit. She was trying to do her job and a government agent punished her for it. So she sued. Thats not opportunistic. What other option does she have?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not suing the taxpayers and settling for discipline as justice served.

Obviously.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Not suing the taxpayers and settling for discipline as justice served.

Obviously.

Doea it work the other way around? Are you against restitution paid by citizens to the state?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in principle, no. If you're assuming I'm against restitution to individuals from the community, I'm not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me evidence of the physical damages she incurred, lost productivity, etc, and I'm sure we could agree on a reasonable ballpark figure for remuneration. I'm entirely supportive of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
veganerd wrote:

I'd imagine a half million dollars could go a long way in adding value to that community. Library expansion, playground improvement, civic program funding.

I'm sure she offered to drop the suit if the department made certain necessary changes, right?

I'd have sued just out of spite and for more than that. Remember, they weren't going to do anything despite her complaints and obvious knowledge the officer in question was in the wrong until the body cam footage became public knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't want to be in her position. Turn it around. If they came to you beforehand and asked you to play her part of being assaulted, becoming a viral discussion point and having your life turned upside down, at least temporarily, what would you want to be paid for it? Would "Justice Served" make it all worthwhile?

I'm not sure I would sign up for that at 500K.
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'd have sued just out of spite and for more than that."

I appreciate your honesty. You're among the vast majority.

Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about that. I think there's more value in leading by example and using the platform to advocate for whatever change is needed, including in the common way of thinking about punishing the community for another's bad deeds.

This, I think, is a relatively modern way of thinking about entitlements and punishment. It's not healthy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me evidence that she's using her leverage for change and not just personal enrichment, and I'm open to reconsidering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've thought about that. I think there's more value in leading by example and using the platform to advocate for whatever change is needed, including in the common way of thinking about punishing the community for another's bad deeds.

This, I think, is a relatively modern way of thinking about entitlements and punishment. It's not healthy.

I don't know, you've probably heard of weregild? I think in western Europe throughout much of the middle ages, maybe even up to quite recent times, compensation for wrongs usually involved some sort of monetary pay back, if not to the person then to their family. It's kind of the same thing, just different entities forking over the money. Did she sue him in civil court as well? I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Show me evidence that she's using her leverage for change and not just personal enrichment, and I'm open to reconsidering.

The article I read said she's donating some of the money to some entity involved in getting people access to body cam footage in these sorts of situations. Not sure who it is or how they go about doing that. Suggests the city wasn't very forthcoming in her case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
"I'd have sued just out of spite and for more than that."

I appreciate your honesty. You're among the vast majority.

Well taking a bat to that fucker's knees would be more satisfying but stupid. Suing is sort of all you got, if you don't want to end up in an even worse situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

That's real easy to say from a point of detachment when it's somebody else you don't know. If it was your wife or daughter putting up with that shit, I'd bet the global good is not at the forefront of your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's undeniably true. Emotion is notoriously effective at clouding judgment.

Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

IMO, the money should first come out of the salary and pension of the officer involved, the Chief of Police, and the Mayor. Make it hurt their bottom line first. Make sure that all parties have skin in the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Should the nurse sue? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

IMO, the money should first come out of the salary and pension of the officer involved, the Chief of Police, and the Mayor. Make it hurt their bottom line first. Make sure that all parties have skin in the game.

So, you want the Mayor to be legally and financially responsible for the actions of every single civil servant employed by his municipality???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply

Prev Next