Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How many races in your season?
Quote | Reply
End of season is coming. Tomorrow I'll line up in my last race of 2017 (a draft legal sprint distance race, just for the fun of it, after two 70.3, two olis an three more draft legal sprints) that will make 8 races this season, and at 46 I wonder if I am racing too much, so I am thinking about a change of approach for 2018... My main goal is to improve my 5:05 PB in 70.3, running consistently 4'30"/km off the bike, and I think that maybe racing just two or three 70.3 races can help me focus on my goals and nail my training...

Do you have an experience to share? Have you tried this and made it work for you? i'd love to hear about that

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 years old

19 races this season

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before summer: 3 sprints, a Duathlon, 2 TT's and a 70.3. After summer (starting next week) one Olympic, two sprints and a 70.3.
45, part time dad, self employed. Not a lot of time available.
RACING IS FUN!

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
34 years old, swim coach.

6 Ironmans, 1 - 2 70.3's, 3 Olympics, 1 sprint.

I held off racing Ironman distance until I was in the sport for 7 years. Now it's my focus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically do 4-5 triathlons per year. I take ALL of them seriously. I do not race triathlons unless I think I can do well.

Years plan.
I do three weeks hard, followed by one week recovery. I race at the end of recovery weeks.
January- March: build fitness (no racing)
April: Still building fitness but I might do a bike race or running race.
May: Form is good will do 1st serious race
June: Increasing intensity will do 2nd race.
July: Intensity + volume + family vacation (no racing)
August: USAT nationals (3rd race), Followed bu high volume training
Sept: High Volume training for IM (no races)
Oct: IM Kona
Oct-Dec: Easy training with fun challenges- like 1 mile time trial, or 200 butterfly race + yoga
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 HIM
1 Full IM (because I'm stupid; no really. This is stupid)
2 Sprints
Also planned one oly but travel plans fell through

That's about average. I had years where I'd just do 3-4 WTC events, and I've had years where I'd do a lot of local sprint and oly races and race about 12 times in that year.

Next year is a semi-break from tri. I'll only do 2 HIMs, some sprints, to free up the time to finally go down to KRNT put my nose to the grindstone and get multi engine and instrument rating, and maybe seaplane.
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May: ironman 70.3 aix en Provence
July: Ironman 70.3 Jönköping (PB 4:56)
August: Ironman 70.3 Zell am see
September: olympic distance cervia

Didn't have a good feeling in Zell am see, overtraining? Stress (have full time job + studies during the evening)? Next year I'm only doing 2 races: Ironman Austria (1st july) and ironman 70.3 Cascais (2nd september)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

I held off racing Ironman distance until I was in the sport for 7 years. Now it's my focus.

Colin wins [/thread]

I'm 40 and racing more often than usual this year. 2 IM's, 2 (signed up for a 3rd but might not do it) 70.3's, 2 olys and 3 sprints.

I've set prs at all distances and have had more fun than ever.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One 70.3, 1 Olympic, 1 Sprint. Also did the Boston marathon and will likely do 2-3 1/2 marathons it the fall. Been injured most of the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46 y/o - 10 so far this year. A few to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48 and racing my 12th triathlon of the year (1 middle distance, 5 Olympic and 6 sprints) this morning along with 4 bike time trials, 1 crit, 1 10k road race and Long Course Duathlon Nationals . I used to do almost exclusively IM and HIM and find I am a lot healthier now and less often on the edge of injury. I think the mini-tapers (1-2 very easy days before a Tri) keep me fresh as I race 2-3 times a month April through August. All my fast running is in a race which has worked well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your answers so far.

Let me clarify: I am not exhausted from racing, in fact I am out of the door in minutes for my last race, and I could be staying at home instead since this one is just for the fun of it. So when I wrote "too much racing" I didn't mean I cannot handle it... it was more like "maybe this amount of racing is not helping me to conquer my 70.3 goals".

My takeaway so far is that the most popular approach is "the more races, the better" ;-)

Edit: typo

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Sep 2, 17 4:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51 years old this year. 1 10 mile run, 1 5 K run, 1 5 K swim, one sprint tri, one olympic and one extreme iron race that I did not make the cut off on the bike. Will do two more races yet this year likely an oly and a half maybe a 10K run I'd like to get another mid life pb in that distance

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year will see me line up for 4 sprint races and one 70.3. Also did a half Mar in early spring. The 70.3 is on Sept 10 so I'll assess after that if I want to squeeze in any more races this year, maybe a half Mar or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 52. Last year, I did 5 sprints, 1 international, 2 HIMs.

This year - 1 HIM (35' PR)....and I'll do IM LOU in 6 wks (assuming I finish, that'll be a PR, too :) )

I don't care for IM training. I had a LOT more fun running more races.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
37 years from Norway.

April: Ironman South Africa (2'nd M35).
May: Ironman 70.3 Mallorca (1'st M35).
July: Ironman Austria Klagenfurt (1'st in AG and 7'th overall).
August: Norseman Xtreme Triathlon (4'th)
October: Ironman WC Hawaii

Only 5 weeks between Austria and Norseman was a bit too short (as expected).

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 60. So far this season I've done 2 IMs, 1 long course (94 mi total), 1 70.3, 1 Oly, and 2 Sprints. Left to go: 2 more 70.3s, a 1/3rd IM, and 1 sprint. So 11 races total with a heavy focus on long course. Next year will be 1 IM, 2 70.3s, and a slew of sprints and olys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a firm believer that racing is some of the best training you can do. I just can't replicate that level of effort in training. Racing is just unparalleled quality speed and endurance.

I have always been a frequent racer, peaking at 20 tris one year, plus running plenty of races from 800 meters through to ultras.

Racing teaches you how to race.
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally one IM distance (A-race 1) and one duathlon. I just can't be bothered with the time needed to pack and travel with a bike!
I'll usually do one open marathon (A-race 2), then about a few trail races, half marathons and 10ks.

I've really dialled down the volume in the last few years, and I feel like my 40-year-old body is thanking me for it with better results. Whereas a full-effort marathon would've needed a week of recovery ten years ago, it's more like two weeks these days, which really puts my training in a slump for a month or so afterwards. Fewer races means I can train more consistently and with fewer injuries.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24th year of Tri with a man child and active hubby.

This year:
70.3 x3
Odd distance x1
Oly x2
Sprint x2
13.1 Trail Run x2
25k Trail Run x1

I'd like to find one more oly or 70.3 for this year.....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

Do you get a discount if you sign up for so many IM events in one year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46 years old. Have done 10 races this season and have 1-3 more in mind. 20k run, 5k run, 5x Aquathons, 3x short course tri's.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How many races in your season? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:

I held off racing Ironman distance until I was in the sport for 7 years. Now it's my focus.[/quote]

Do you get a discount if you sign up for so many IM events in one year?[/quote]
Yes... Something like that.

http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#axzz4rfFiRq59[/url]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far

70.3 (1)
Olympic (1)
Sprint (2)
Half marathons (3)

Left

Olympic (2)
Marathon(1)
70.3 (1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do a lot of racing this year. My training volume and quality was higher than before and as a result I did some of my best performances to date in the events I did, but I'm sure I'd have enjoyed the season more if I'd done more races. I plan to remedy that next year.

This year:
1 x Olympic Tri
2 x 70.3 Tri
1 x Marmotte Des Alpes
Plus a few other sportives ranging from 104km to 200km in distance while preparing for the Marmotte.

Outline plan for next year:
3-4 x Olympic Tri (definitely)
2-3 x Sprint Tri (maybe)
3-4 x Sprint Duathlon (definitely)
1 x 70.3 Tri (maybe)
Marmotte Des Alpes (probably)
Several other sportives and running races
Quote Reply