Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going self-coached...
Quote | Reply
hi,

I have been coached from a distance (living in Germany, coached from the UK), from the past 3 years. It took me from nothing to 3 full IMs and 4 half IMs. PBs are 12:14 in IM Frankfurt and 5:38 in IM Kraichgau. For several reasons, personal and financial I am focusing half IM for 2018 and dropping my coach. However, I would really like to focus on speed and try to get as close to the 5hour mark as much as possible. Is it realistically to improve like this over a season and what should be my first steps? Any suggestions from other self coached triathletes would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: Going self-coached... [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely possible. Over the past 3 years I imagine you have learned a lot from you experience with a coach about what types of training have been effective. Combine that with a little additional research and there's a great potential for you to do well. I have "coached" myself with significant improvement and success over the years and in my opinion it's not all that difficult. Listen to your body... learn the difference between fatigue and actual injury, and what you can and can't train through. With a long distance focus, much of your improvement will come from consistently putting in the volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Going self-coached... [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wbattaile wrote:
Definitely possible. Over the past 3 years I imagine you have learned a lot from you experience with a coach about what types of training have been effective. Combine that with a little additional research and there's a great potential for you to do well. I have "coached" myself with significant improvement and success over the years and in my opinion it's not all that difficult. Listen to your body... learn the difference between fatigue and actual injury, and what you can and can't train through. With a long distance focus, much of your improvement will come from consistently putting in the volume.

Thanks. Would you generally buy a training plan or try to get creative as you go along with the season? I am considering at least registering for trainerroad as quite a few people have good reviews on it and TP as their ATP planner seems to be quite good. Any other recommendations?

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply