Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike training for the hills
Quote | Reply
So after trying to make excuses for it for years, I finally have to admit that I have a problem and its climbing on the bike. I need to get better all around on the bike but climbing is a glaring weakness that was greatly exposed at Tremblant. My question is as a Northeastern US person, I was planning on hitting trainerroad during the offseason but I want to know if this is the best approach? Is that type of training going to help or should i be on Zwift climbing everything I can find. I would rather just go outside and ride up everything but on top of the weather cooling I have two toddlers which make indoor training the easiest possibility. Any help is greatly appreciated and any extra info I can provide that would help answer I will happily do so. Thanks!

~ Russ
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training for the hills [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power/weight ratio very important in determining climbing proficiency. What is your height and weight?

Along with consistent training and workouts, simply losing weight can have an enormously positive effect on climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training for the hills [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I agree. Forgot to add that part. I'm 5'6" and 160 down from 185 at the start of the season. I can probably drop to 150 which is the goal but I am a wide shouldered stocky hombre to begin with. I got down to 145 at one point but started to lose power in running and biking. That low isn't sustainable for me the way my life is currently constituted. My FTP is currently 235 (I know it needs to come up, it's up this season from 204). So by my admittedly bad math I have it at 3.17w/kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:
So after trying to make excuses for it for years, I finally have to admit that I have a problem and its climbing on the bike. I need to get better all around on the bike but climbing is a glaring weakness that was greatly exposed at Tremblant. My question is as a Northeastern US person, I was planning on hitting trainerroad during the offseason but I want to know if this is the best approach? Is that type of training going to help or should i be on Zwift climbing everything I can find. I would rather just go outside and ride up everything but on top of the weather cooling I have two toddlers which make indoor training the easiest possibility. Any help is greatly appreciated and any extra info I can provide that would help answer I will happily do so. Thanks!

~ Russ

I think i see where this is going....

You just absolutely have to buy $600 Kick Climb, 3 months on that thing and you will make Nairo Quintana cry like a little kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing is all about watts/Kg. There's not much to learn about execution in climbing.

Raise Watts and/or reduce Kg and you will be a better climber.

I understand what you are saying about getting low and losing power, I think it has to be a slower process. A few years ago I got down into the lower 130's and did not ride as well as I do when in the low 140's, I think I gave up too early though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:
So after trying to make excuses for it for years, I finally have to admit that I have a problem and its climbing on the bike. I need to get better all around on the bike but climbing is a glaring weakness that was greatly exposed at Tremblant.

I think you already know the answer to your question. As others mentioned, becoming a good climber, especially for triathlon, is nothing special other than increasing bike fitness and losing as much weight as possible. There aren't really any special workouts, or routes you need to do unless you're actually trying to prepare for sustained climbing that is so steep it will change your cadence and muscle engagement. Such as standing for extended periods. Or if you're preparing for a cycling road race with climbs and you need to get acclimated with punchy efforts and attacks on climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike training for the hills [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, basically what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I was maximizing my time and not going down a rabbit hole. Thanks for the info everyone. Time to get to work.
Quote Reply