Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle bag recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm off to the UK for a couple of weeks to ride from Land's End to John O'Groats. We have a sag vehicle, but I need to carry some clothing, for those frequent weather changes, and a patch kit/spare tube/CO2 etc. Usually that all goes in my jersey pocket, but that's where my rain jacket's going to be.

I'm on a bike with an aero seatpost, and most saddle bags leave a half inch of velcro strap exposed to wreck my shorts (My thighs are not slight). Ideally I'd like something that mounts to the rear of the saddle and doesn't get too near the seatpost. I don't have a Fizik saddle, so their offerings don't work. Any recommendations out there? I want to carry 1-2 700c x 21-25 tubes, tire levers, 2 CO2, a patch kit, a multi-tool and a small picture of Tyler Hamilton's dog.

Thanks!
Bigshoes

(PS don't really need space for the picture, he's in my heart always)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [bigshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to get a saddle bag that is not totally enormous, one way to get extra useful storage space is to combine a saddle bag with a readily accessible top tube storage bento. In addition to us having a few smaller packs, we have just released some very large top tube packs in our Speedpack 915 series. Here is a photo of a bolt-mounted Speedpack 915D, but we also have the Speedpack 915 that uses a universal mount advanced strap system:

Hope that helps,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my gravel bike I have a Blackburn saddle bag that uses a rubber "daisy chain" strap which connects to a hook on each side of the bag.. totally adjustable, no velcro. Once you have it set up to fit your seatpost, you can snip off any excess "links" from the strap so it's not flapping around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xlab Sonic Wing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a pm. I think I have a fix.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These things (outvi possum) are pretty sweet. I run a medium and have room for two levers, two co2, a cx tube, a tire boot, some quick links and their multitool. What I dig the most about it is that I dont' have to dump half of the crap on the ground to find what I'm looking for.

also a big fan of the Backcountry Research Awesome Strap which is a little more minimalist and has apparently been renamed.

Last edited by: Tim_Canterbury: Sep 1, 17 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedsleev (www.speedsleev.com) makes bags in a variety of sizes with a similar concept...stuff goes in a certain place and is easy to access. I have a small with a tube, co2, inflator, lever, and small multitool that sits high and tight (and out of the way) under my saddle (EDIT: In the Ranger model). It DOES NOT strap to the seat post.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Sep 1, 17 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's pretty slick too and I like the idea of the cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just switched to a Specialized Power and I'll be ordering one of the SWAT seat packs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Silca Seat Roll.

Attaches to the seat rails so no concerns about the seatpost. Find it can be adjusted to sit high so the thighs shouldn't be a concern. Might not be able to fit 2 tubes but 1 tube and everything else should be fine. The boa closure is easy to install/remove and it can be cinched down and placed in a bag easily.

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. If only my top tube were young enough to have mount points. I find bentos with straps and my knees really don't get on.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [Lucky489] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be on a Felt AR. The Sonic Wing only seems to work with Cervelo and QR seatposts. Thanks though.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The possum looks great. Either this or the speed sleeve look like the right answer. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigshoes wrote:
I'll be on a Felt AR. The Sonic Wing only seems to work with Cervelo and QR seatposts. Thanks though.

The Super Wing works with other seats. I have one on my ISM saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle bag recommendations [Lucky489] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. The Super Wing could work. I bloody hate having stuff up in the air behind the saddle though - really wrecks my off-the-back-of-saddle-over-rough-stuff game.

Cheers,
Bigshoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure exactly what you're looking for size wise. I was carrying everything in my jersey pockets and decided to get over the "I'm not putting a bag on my roadie" thing. but I wasn't going to put some big, bulky, goofy looking thing on there. Got this. Fits a tube, 2 CO2, Chuck, Patches, Lever, and a multi tool. it's tight, but it puts everything in a nice sleek little package.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the QR versions of the Lezyne Caddy. These attach via a quick release clip to the saddle bars and go nowhere near the seat tube.

https://www.evanscycles.com/...y-qr-medium-EV187461
Quote Reply