Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do parents who are athletes let their children get so fat [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
My kid was "husky" from around 3rd grade until his sophomore year of high school. We ate breakfast and dinner together daily 99% of the time, yet he was able to get crap at school and with friends and as a parent I couldn't control that. It isn't hard for a kid to get his paws on 1,000+ calories during the school day. Not to mention that grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles didn't honor our healthy eating goal. Now he is in his 2nd year of college and in incredible shape - very fit and lean - and he eats healthier than us (greens, grains, lean protiens, etc.). It boggles my mind that we didn't have a trim kid, especially since my husband is a 5% body fat guy and I don't tend to be plump (unless I have to much fun with friends, which is the case these days now that the kid is grown).

Sigh, that stupid ala carte line at school. My kid had three helpings of ice cream one day and no one said anything to her.
Quote Reply
Re: How do parents who are athletes let their children get so fat [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because their parents are self involved type A more interested in their KQ or BQ time than looking after their kids welfare.
Quote Reply
Re: How do parents who are athletes let their children get so fat [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
-) They ride bikes or walk to school/practices. Often they are the only ones doing it and get odd looks, but so what. We've had to fend off good natured offers to drive our kids home from soccer practice when they have their bike and it is every so slightly dark. ....

My kids eat quite a bit of crap -- mostly at school or at night, when it's harder to control. But they look chiseled and probably have about 5% body fat. It's all about the activity: 2 hours of football plus pickup basketball games, riding bikes to the Y to lift weights, etc. Most teenagers can consume a stupendous number of calories and not get fat as long as they're active.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: How do parents who are athletes let their children get so fat [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Grammar police, here. It's "basal," not "basel." And "thermo" is not capitalized if used as a pet abbreviation for "thermodynamics," which I assume it is. Correct grammar might help when you're trying to lecture on "what people need to understand."

Carry on.

Thank you for that; it was amusing to watch all the holier-than-thou judgement from people who can't be bothered to learn basic English.

For other comments, let's see:

1) Body-shaming works. Maybe. If you don't mind a risk of anorexia, depression, or a variety of other mental and physical disorders. You probably don't, though, but don't expect me to compliment your parenting.
2) "Genetics is bullshit". Well, my best friend growing up was a beanpole on a diet of almost 100% sugar and almost zero activity. I was pudgy > fat before figuring things out in adulthood, but he got fat in his 20s and has no idea how to deal with it because he never even learned to think critically about food.
3) "Generation Me". This is my favorite. That term was invented for Boomers (or, in other words, most of the self-centered judgemental assholes on this forum). It's also incredibly myopic, given that hand-wringing about the next generation goes back as far as you care to look. But I'm sure this time it's accurate and civilization and culture peaked with you and your friends and everything afterwards is a failure and decline. Yup. That sounds realistic.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How do parents who are athletes let their children get so fat [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
trail wrote:
Grammar police, here. It's "basal," not "basel." And "thermo" is not capitalized if used as a pet abbreviation for "thermodynamics," which I assume it is. Correct grammar might help when you're trying to lecture on "what people need to understand."

Carry on.

Thank you for that; it was amusing to watch all the holier-than-thou judgement from people who can't be bothered to learn basic English.

For other comments, let's see:

1) Body-shaming works. Maybe. If you don't mind a risk of anorexia, depression, or a variety of other mental and physical disorders. You probably don't, though, but don't expect me to compliment your parenting.
2) "Genetics is bullshit". Well, my best friend growing up was a beanpole on a diet of almost 100% sugar and almost zero activity. I was pudgy > fat before figuring things out in adulthood, but he got fat in his 20s and has no idea how to deal with it because he never even learned to think critically about food.
3) "Generation Me". This is my favorite. That term was invented for Boomers (or, in other words, most of the self-centered judgemental assholes on this forum). It's also incredibly myopic, given that hand-wringing about the next generation goes back as far as you care to look. But I'm sure this time it's accurate and civilization and culture peaked with you and your friends and everything afterwards is a failure and decline. Yup. That sounds realistic.

Yep. nailed it! Your awesome!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next