Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home water filtration systems
Quote | Reply
Couldn't find an old thread on this.

I have some concerns about water quality. Of course, my local water company (EBMUD) says everything is great despite some changing taste last year, a few sketchy interviews with management and a new proposal by our state legislature to add a water tax.

Has anyone already done a bunch of research on this topic? When my gov't says there's no reason to be concerned, that's exactly when I get concerned.
Quote Reply
Re: Home water filtration systems [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is it you want to know? We have a well, as opposed to municipal water. But we have a Culligan filtration system.

For our entire home water supply, we use a high efficiency water softener like this: http://www.culligan.com/...iency-water-softener

For our drinking water, we use this system: http://www.culligan.com/...ms/aqua-cleer-system

The tank is in the basement. Filtered water goes to the ice maker in our freezer and an outlet on our sink.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Home water filtration systems [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they explain why the taste changed?
I can't imagine any local utility would screw around with the truth given what the fall out from Flint was. Municipal utility people were charged with murder.

At our Home Depot there is a rack with free sample bottles and envelopes that you take home, fill up at the tap and send in for analysis. Then someone will call you and try to sell you a system.

If you are really worried get a home Reverse Osmosis system (RO). That will remove most metals, and other contaminants of concern. It will also take care of the taste.

If its just taste - i.e. because the utility switched from a ground source (i.e. aquifer) to a surface source (i.e. river) - then you only need an activated carbon filter (i.e. Brita). That will take care of much of the organics and taste.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply