Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Was in line to get gas at Costco tonight. Costco was $2.19 and BP next door was $2.59. This is crazy.

What is crazy is a whole bunch of nancies here getting worked up about a relatively small jump in gas prices.

We see price shifts of 10-15 cents per litre here on a somewhat frequent basis. That's roughly 40-60 cents a gallon, and our gas is already at $4/gallon.

We haven't seen prices as cheap as $2.59 since 1998!

You fluctuations have to do with USD CAD rates a good portion of the time I'd guess
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Was in line to get gas at Costco tonight. Costco was $2.19 and BP next door was $2.59. This is crazy.

What is crazy is a whole bunch of nancies here getting worked up about a relatively small jump in gas prices.

We see price shifts of 10-15 cents per litre here on a somewhat frequent basis. That's roughly 40-60 cents a gallon, and our gas is already at $4/gallon.

You fluctuations have to do with USD CAD rates a good portion of the time I'd guess

They have more to do with when summer long weekends fall.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:

You have long weekends on a frequent basis?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:
The refineries will be up in running in a couple days, if not already.

But sure seems like you got a bug up your butt. Preparation H is your friend, man.

I just found his original assertion moronic and the he kept doubling down
Chill out bro. It's not the end of the world.

Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:

About once a month. I would say that's frequent.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, just a few days. Refineries in west Texas will be redirecting supply towards our area, so if people will just calm down and not put a run on the supply in place we will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:

Three summer long weekends every year (July 1, early August and Labour Day). Plus big driving weekends for Thanksgiving and Easter.

Out of 12 summer weekends, three of them are "long". That's frequent, in my mind.

Unlike BC, NS gas prices are regulated by a central board, and change every Friday (except under certain conditions), so we don't see quite the volatility that other markets do, biggest "normal" shift from week to week is around 5-6c per litre. Today they went up from 1.056 to 1.133 per L, and we're expecting prices to continue climbing to the 1.22 20 1.25 range.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windywave wrote:

Three summer long weekends every year (July 1, early August and Labour Day). Plus big driving weekends for Thanksgiving and Easter.

And you missed the May 2-4.

Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
se7930 wrote:
Yep, just a few days. Refineries in west Texas will be redirecting supply towards our area, so if people will just calm down and not put a run on the supply in place we will be fine.
Whatever. We've got about 48 hours until we start seeing this...

Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May 24 is technically spring...

but yeah, gas prices will bump then, too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 1, 17 6:07
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:

But sure seems like you got a bug up your butt. Preparation H is your friend, man.

No it's not the end of the world, but he should have never made a comment like that and then accepted he was wrong and moved on. He chose not to do so. I've spent most of my adult life trading some of it in energy. The statement that 25 cents is gouging is unfounded in reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yes and so is Easter and Thanksgiving is in the fall. Yet you mentioned those.

Why do you hate Queen Victoria?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Hmmm I don't know much about the cash energy market in Canada. I might look into this if I have time.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yes and so is Easter and Thanksgiving is in the fall. Yet you mentioned those.

Why do you hate Queen Victoria?

Albert?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Dan Os Fan wrote:

Out of 12 summer weekends, three of them are "long". That's frequent, in my mind.

Unlike BC, NS gas prices are regulated by a central board, and change every Friday (except under certain conditions), so we don't see quite the volatility that other markets do, biggest "normal" shift from week to week is around 5-6c per litre. Today they went up from 1.056 to 1.133 per L, and we're expecting prices to continue climbing to the 1.22 20 1.25 range.

We are at 1.30/L right now. It was 1.19ish before summer, then we got a pretty significant bump up to 1.30 where it has stayed most of the summer. There is some moaning and groaning with a shift that big, but, people aren't going insane over it.

When oil was at it's peak prices were nearing 1.50/L.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:

No it's not the end of the world, but he should have never made a comment like that and then accepted he was wrong and moved on. He chose not to do so. I've spent most of my adult life trading some of it in energy. The statement that 25 cents is gouging is unfounded in reality.

My corner store was $1.92/gal 3 days ago. It is now $2.59/gal. It was the same gas in their holding tanks the whole time. Their "cost" didn't change. Let me know when I have permission to complain about it and also let us know when its ok to use the term "gouging".

I'm always puzzled why gas stations vary so much in their price. You'd think if it was totally tied to the market with its commodity fluidity, they'd be consistent and go up and down by the same amounts and at the same time. But that doesn't happen. Individual gas stations raise and lower their gas price however they want. I understand that one of the factors in that is the market price of the commodity, but that is not the only factor.

You are the one being delusional if you think business owners don't take advantage of situations like this to get some extra $$ out of it. Every time a holiday weekend rolls around, just like clockwork, I see gas stations (some of them, but not all) raise their prices. That has nothing to do with the spot market of crude or refined gas or whatever the benchmark is.

Maybe you're just wound up around the $.25 amount in the OP, doesn't meet your sniff test. Whatever, don't take it so seriously and literally man.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 25 cent move is not gouging when front month is up 30 percent in a week. I still maintain your original post was ignorant stupidity.

You do tend to pick and choose statistics though. You focus on the 25-cent increase but ignore the 81-cent increase in Boulder.

The reality is there are people who take advantages of disasters all the time. It happens with food, water, gas, temporary housing etc. I lived in the aftermath of the worst hurricane ever recorded and saw it every single day. People didn't want to admit it but it is the truth. I'm not saying you are stupid (as you keep repeating to me) but you do seem a little naive when it comes to how people operate during disasters, even if the cases are isolated.

Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
H- wrote:

My corner store was $1.92/gal 3 days ago. It is now $2.59/gal. It was the same gas in their holding tanks the whole time. Their "cost" didn't change. Let me know when I have permission to complain about it and also let us know when its ok to use the term "gouging".

I'm always puzzled why gas stations vary so much in their price. You'd think if it was totally tied to the market with its commodity fluidity, they'd be consistent and go up and down by the same amounts and at the same time. But that doesn't happen. Individual gas stations raise and lower their gas price however they want. I understand that one of the factors in that is the market price of the commodity, but that is not the only factor.

You are the one being delusional if you think business owners don't take advantage of situations like this to get some extra $$ out of it. Every time a holiday weekend rolls around, just like clockwork, I see gas stations (some of them, but not all) raise their prices. That has nothing to do with the spot market of crude or refined gas or whatever the benchmark is.

Maybe you're just wound up around the $.25 amount in the OP, doesn't meet your sniff test. Whatever, don't take it so seriously and literally man.

Fucking A I'm wound up over 25 cents being called gouging. As to holiday weekend that is mainly supply and demand. Gas stations essentially don't make money on gas, they make it on the store. Cash is priced off reference: for gas that is RBOB, NG is Henry Hub and Oil is Brent and WTI. Lookup basis trade for more information. Are you dumbfounded when NG costs more during a cold snap? Power costs more during a heat wave? There are 5 dollar tables at noon, but not midnight?
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
A 25 cent move is not gouging when front month is up 30 percent in a week. I still maintain your original post was ignorant stupidity.

You do tend to pick and choose statistics though. You focus on the 25-cent increase but ignore the 81-cent increase in Boulder.

The reality is there are people who take advantages of disasters all the time. It happens with food, water, gas, temporary housing etc. I lived in the aftermath of the worst hurricane ever recorded and saw it every single day. People didn't want to admit it but it is the truth. I'm not saying you are stupid (as you keep repeating to me) but you do seem a little naive when it comes to how people operate during disasters, even if the cases are isolated.

Nice attempt at revsionist history. Go back and find the 81 cent reference (which is also not gouging) and your 25 cents is gouging bullshit. I may have missed it but prettt sure i got the timeline correct.

Does gouging occur yes. Is a .25 moves 200 miles away gouging no. You are conflating two distinct things. I didn't call you stupid, just your position. Don't go all snowflake on me now you're one of the fun ones who makes it interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I'm not even in Texas but local gas prices have gone up 20 cents in two days (Colorado)

I'm in NC and Depending on the day, I have 20 or 21 trucks on the road for my business.

Recent regular grade gas prices (same gas station):
8/23/17: $2.19/gallon
8/24/17: $2.27/gallon
8/25/17: $2.27/gallon
8/28/17: $2.27/gallon
8/29/17: $2.27/gallon @ 7:16am
8/29/17: $2.39/gallon @ 3:55pm
8/30/17: $2.39/gallon

Update:
8/31/17: $2.49/gallon

Update:
9/01/17: $2.49/gallon @ 12:35 pm
9/01/17 $2.59/gallon @ 12:39 pm

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey look no more lines
Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
mck414 wrote:
I'm not even in Texas but local gas prices have gone up 20 cents in two days (Colorado)

I'm in NC and Depending on the day, I have 20 or 21 trucks on the road for my business.

Recent regular grade gas prices (same gas station):
8/23/17: $2.19/gallon
8/24/17: $2.27/gallon
8/25/17: $2.27/gallon
8/28/17: $2.27/gallon
8/29/17: $2.27/gallon @ 7:16am
8/29/17: $2.39/gallon @ 3:55pm
8/30/17: $2.39/gallon

Update:
8/31/17: $2.49/gallon

Update:
9/01/17: $2.49/gallon @ 12:35 pm
9/01/17 $2.59/gallon @ 12:39 pm

Oh my god. 40c/gallon and still amongst the cheapest gas in the western world. How will people feed their kids!

Quote Reply
Re: Gas shortage in Dallas [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, there's fuel available in Austin...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next