Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Give me an example of racial bias you are perceiving.

Me personally? Almost none. But I'm not naive enough to think that because I, as a white guy, don't see it, it must not exist.
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Me personally? Almost none. But I'm not naive enough to think that because I, as a white guy, don't see it, it must not exist.

You just know it exists!!!! You just know it.

But you can't actually cite any examples.....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

You mean examples like Arpaio pulling over anyone who looks Mexican?

My wife sees sexism far more often than I do. Little things like being called "girl" or being expected to be the one to bring a guest coffee at a meeting. I can either assume my lack of seeing it means it's not real, or I can assume she is seeing something I'm not. Or at the very least, maybe the reality is somewhere in between.

But you've said that perceived victimhood is more prevalent than actual racial bias. I'm questioning the way you've arrived at that conclusion because I'm willing to bet there are a million little cuts that racism inflicts that you're not the slightest bit aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'm telling you that I'm "not aware of" them because they aren't real.

And I am aware of many things that are percieved as racist that just aren't really racist.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Here. Google is your friend. One example in the judicial system.

Black Americans are more likely to have their cars searched.
Police are three times as likely to search the cars of stopped black drivers than stopped white drivers

Black Americans are more likely to be arrested for drug use.
Police arrest black Americans for drug crimes at twice the rate of whites, according to federal data, despite the fact that whites use drugs at comparable rates and sell drugs at comparable or even higher rates

Black Americans are more likely to serve longer sentences than white Americans for the same offense.
A 2012 working paper found “robust evidence” that black male federal defendants were given longer sentences than comparable whites. Black men’s sentences were, on average, 10 percent longer than those of their white peers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
And I'm telling you that I'm "not aware of" them because they aren't real.

And that's the difference between us. You assume your authority on the subject. "I'm not aware of it because it's not real. And I know it's not real because I'm not aware of it."

I wish I could be as sure as you about something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't argue that. Must be racism!

Here's the problem with seeing everything you don't like as racism.

You are ascribing a motivation to someone (that that person is acting based on racism) where this motivation may not exist.

I'll go back to my "you're an asshole" situation. I know a black guy who's an asshole. He thinks I don't like him because he's black. He thinks my motivation for disliking him is based on his skin color. The reality is that i dont like him because he's an asshole.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Can't argue that. Must be racism!

Here's the problem with seeing everything you don't like as racism.

You are ascribing a motivation to someone (that that person is acting based on racism) where this motivation may not exist.

I'll go back to my "you're an asshole" situation. I know a black guy who's an asshole. He thinks I don't like him because he's black. He thinks my motivation for disliking him is based on his skin color. The reality is that i dont like him because he's an asshole.

Sure, you don't like him because he's an asshole. Great. If he thinks it's because he's black, he's wrong.

But you can't extrapolate that to an entire class of people.

If the statistics look like there's racial bias against a group of people, and the members of that group of people say they experience racial bias, then you have to accept that maybe there is racial bias in the world, regardless of whether you personally see it or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Every man thinks his burden is the heaviest."

Well, no actually!!!

No-
A "man" wrote/sung those words. A "man" should realizes that his burden is not necessarily the heaviest.

There are children (i.e. high school and university kids) that think their burden IS the heaviest. (That is what kids do).

Their are also emotionally stunted adults who believe that their own burden IS the heaviest. These stunted adults have learnt that whining gets them nothing. So they spend all their time complaining about "other people complaining" instead.

The natural process should go like this:
1) Think your burden is the heaviest
2) Realize you burden is not the heaviest
3) Try to help those with heavier burdens
4) Realize either a) you can't help those with heavier burdens or b) you can't be certain who the people with heavy burdens really are.
5) Renounce whining about your own difficulties and also realize that you are not going to "save the world."
6) Try to be ethical in your dealings with the others and with the world. And expect nothing in exchange.

Unfortunately the natural progression is not always followed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I've been a victim, my wife has been a victim and I have people close to me who have been victims of things far more traumatic than "cultural appropriation" or a banana in a tree or someone in my lineage 4 generations ago having to ride in the back of a bus. You won't hear any of us crying about it.

You can't make this stuff up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) black people's problems being reduced to having to ride in the back of the bus decades ago is a straw man

2) Complaining about blacks whining.............OHHHH THE FUCKING IRONY!!!!!

They should change the name of this room to the Complain-About-Black-People-Room.

Quote:

Quote:
I've been a victim, my wife has been a victim and I have people close to me who have been victims of things far more traumatic than "cultural appropriation" or a banana in a tree or someone in my lineage 4 generations ago having to ride in the back of a bus. You won't hear any of us crying about it.
"It" refers to things that have happened to me and my wife and some friends. Things you won't hear me crying about, being triggered over or trying gain advantage from.

"It" refers to things FAR MORE traumatic than the sharing of skin color with someone who was a victim at some point generations ago.

To be clear, black people were forced to ride in the back of the bus in some areas of this country decades ago. A black person blaming his or her lack of desired success in life on that, claiming to be a victim because of what happened decades ago, can go fuck themselves.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He thinks I don't like him because he's black.

Gee, can't imagine why he'd think that. Did you try telling him, "Even if you weren't black, I still wouldn't like you?"

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
SH wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't think any modern person created the pathos of being a victim or of complaining all the time. Any honest person admits that stuff has been around for as long as anyone can remember.

At the same time, it seems like we used to have a stronger culture against that type of thing. If you were too much of a victim or complained too much people would really get on you. Nowadays I don't know if I would go so far as to say that kids need to be a victim in order to be accepted, but they are really encouraged to explore that part of their personality. I find that exercise to be counter productive.

Is this just the musings of an old person trying to knock "the kids of today"?

I guess I blame the environment mostly. But, in fairness, teenagers probably were bound to pick up and expand on that environment more than any other age group.

Everybody wants to be a victim these days, even if they're never in a million years come close to actually being a victim of racism, sexism or whatever. I find this especially acute among younger generations (Gen Xers, to a degree, but especially Millennials and their follow-on cohort, Gen Zers -- who are being fed a steady diet of "it's not your fault, you're being held down by XYZ"). This is why we now have the phenomenon of "microagressions" and all that other drivel.

What I see is a lot of young folks who look back at what previous generations had to face in terms of racism, the right to vote, civil rights in general, the draft, privation and hardship...you name it, and they desperately want to have "suffered" something -- only without the real suffering that the civil rights marchers of the 60s, for example, endured. So microagressions is what we get these days.

Hey, man: the struggle is REAL for a lot of these kids, right?

Excuse this brown-skinned person while he goes and has a retching episode. ;-)

I haven't read the rest of the thread but this is pretty close to my thoughts as well. People want to be a victim. I for one am glad I didn't have to suffer some of the hardships of my grandparents and sure as shit they wish I didn't have to suffer what they did.
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
SH wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I don't think any modern person created the pathos of being a victim or of complaining all the time. Any honest person admits that stuff has been around for as long as anyone can remember.

At the same time, it seems like we used to have a stronger culture against that type of thing. If you were too much of a victim or complained too much people would really get on you. Nowadays I don't know if I would go so far as to say that kids need to be a victim in order to be accepted, but they are really encouraged to explore that part of their personality. I find that exercise to be counter productive.

Is this just the musings of an old person trying to knock "the kids of today"?

I guess I blame the environment mostly. But, in fairness, teenagers probably were bound to pick up and expand on that environment more than any other age group.

Everybody wants to be a victim these days, even if they're never in a million years come close to actually being a victim of racism, sexism or whatever. I find this especially acute among younger generations (Gen Xers, to a degree, but especially Millennials and their follow-on cohort, Gen Zers -- who are being fed a steady diet of "it's not your fault, you're being held down by XYZ"). This is why we now have the phenomenon of "microagressions" and all that other drivel.

What I see is a lot of young folks who look back at what previous generations had to face in terms of racism, the right to vote, civil rights in general, the draft, privation and hardship...you name it, and they desperately want to have "suffered" something -- only without the real suffering that the civil rights marchers of the 60s, for example, endured. So microagressions is what we get these days.

Hey, man: the struggle is REAL for a lot of these kids, right?

Excuse this brown-skinned person while he goes and has a retching episode. ;-)

I haven't read the rest of the thread but this is pretty close to my thoughts as well. People want to be a victim. I for one am glad I didn't have to suffer some of the hardships of my grandparents and sure as shit they wish I didn't have to suffer what they did.

I just saw a portion of big kahuna's post that said "it's not your fault, you're being held down by XYZ."
I wanted to point out that my emphasis here is a little different. What big kahuna is talking about is more of a political victimhood.

I'm talking about people that have issues that aren't easy to pin down for blame, but that still constitute a victim label being placed upon them. All kinds of mental issues are candidates for this as well as the infamous "dysfunctional family". Maybe a person bullied them years ago. Their dad lost his job, or their mom suffers from pill addiction or depression. Those things are all real. Even if embellished a little they have a base of reality. Heck, I honestly believe your average teenager feels incomplete without one of these stories.

My point is that we used to be a society of hard headed a-holes that wouldn't put up with much bellyaching. Some grown up would tell you suck it up, and you'd feel stupid for wallowing in your own pity. Most likely you'd get on with the business of living and doing. WE DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE. Everyone is expected to make way for the victim.

"OMG! Can you imagine if their pain is real?!?! Real pain everyone!!!" My experience is that the more we unthinkingly indulge the pain the more real it becomes.
Last edited by: SH: Sep 1, 17 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They should change the name of this room to the Complain-About-Black-People-Room. "

On a related note, I think we found the tipping point for white outrage over police misconduct. White hot rage on social media today over the cop vs. RN story. And the worst that happened to her was a brief handcuffing.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easy to see where the sniveling mentality that's so rampant in today's society comes from.

I agree with you......
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a good article in Spiked -- entitled "Victimhood" -- about the fragile generation, or those born after 1995 (called the "i-generation," because they've always known iPhones and social media, something not all Millennials can say is true). It's by Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist and professor of ethical leadership at NYU Stern School of Business.

For various and sundry reasons, including overprotective parents, schools that are equally overprotective when it comes to ideas they deem may be too stressful for the young to consider, and so forth, this crop of young people -- many of whom have either completed university or are sitting in colleges now -- seem acutely prone to claiming victim status, typically arising from an apparent fragile psyche created by the conditions described in this paragraph. .

The fragile generation | Books & Essays | spiked

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
This is a good article in Spiked -- entitled "Victimhood" -- about the fragile generation, or those born after 1995 (called the "i-generation," because they've always known iPhones and social media, something not all Millennials can say is true). It's by Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist and professor of ethical leadership at NYU Stern School of Business.

For various and sundry reasons, including overprotective parents, schools that are equally overprotective when it comes to ideas they deem may be too stressful for the young to consider, and so forth, this crop of young people -- many of whom have either completed university or are sitting in colleges now -- seem acutely prone to claiming victim status, typically arising from an apparent fragile psyche created by the conditions described in this paragraph. .

It had to have started before 1995. Some of these people are already working at MSNBC
Quote Reply
Re: High School kids, America, and the importance of being a victim [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

It had to have started before 1995. Some of these people are already working at MSNBC

Hahahaha! An entire network composed of victim-totems for those born after 1995, then. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
Duffy wrote:

You mean examples like Arpaio pulling over anyone who looks Mexican?

Have you ever been to Arizona? If what you posted is true, he would be pulling over 70% of the population. What a stupid observation.
Quote Reply

Prev Next