Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Who the hell spends $1,800 on clothes a year??? It would be interesting to see the male vs female breakout on that. I feel bad for women, their styles change more frequently, cheaper quality and more expensive then men's clothes.

I wear a suit 4 days a week and maybe spend $500 on average a year. That is including bike/running clothes, work clothes, casual stuff, shoes etc.

I don't know anyone -- including my wife -- who spends that kind of money on clothes annually. Maybe there are a lot of families in that figure? I know I don't spend much on clothes, given I pop tags at the local Goodwill whenever I can. ;-)

I guess that makes sense, one consumer unit. Still I don't mind my kids getting 90% of their clothes from garage sales until their 10-12.

According to CNN Money, the cost to raise a child to age 18, in the USA, is $233,610 as of 2015. YOW!

"Families can expect to spend between $12,350 and nearly $14,000 a year, on average, to raise a child."

Cost of raising a child: $233,610 - Jan. 9, 2017

These always have weird math in them. They usually assume if you don't have kids you live in a 1br aptm and then have to move to a house once you have a kid.
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's still a bias toward the family unit, no doubt, when it comes to these things. My wife and I never had kids so sometimes we wonder what all the fuss is about, and then we remember. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
I not sure the median or average makes sense since the bulk of the taxes are paid by the top 20%. I think you have to look at this stuff in income groups.

It's true that high-income Americans pay most income taxes. Below, how the government is funded:

Who pays taxes? The rich, mostly?

Um, so your first graph shows a substantial portion of total revenue coming from payroll taxes (~33 vs 47%, paid moreso by blue-collar wage earners since it gets capped beyond a certain income, as opposed to those w/ more investment income and the like), and then you try to follow it up with a graph of just income taxes to show that it's mostly the rich paying it all? I thought you were smarter than that.
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
hese always have weird math in them. They usually assume if you don't have kids you live in a 1br aptm and then have to move to a house once you have a kid.

I don't have a kid, but a friend who does says he costs less than a dog.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
As alluded to in a different thread I'm looking to buy a house. Property taxes are usually more than the mortgage would be. 'Nuff said

Holy hell, how much are property taxes there? I pay under $4000 a year. That would be just over 4 months mortgage.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course the rich pay most of the taxes because they make most of the money and income tax is progressive.

On top of that, the past 30 years of income increases have mostly benefited the upper income brackets

Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Who the hell spends $1,800 on clothes a year??? It would be interesting to see the male vs female breakout on that. I feel bad for women, their styles change more frequently, cheaper quality and more expensive then men's clothes.

I wear a suit 4 days a week and maybe spend $500 on average a year. That is including bike/running clothes, work clothes, casual stuff, shoes etc.

How much are your suits? How often do you replace them? Shoes? Ties? What about Christmas gifts? I'm sure some years you're over 1800 bucks without thinking about it.

Sorry, took a while to get back but:

I own 5 suits, each about $200-$300 (good quality too, I know a guy). Never replaced them (all about 5 years old). Dress shoes, maybe once every 2 years. Ties....I have a collection from over the years plus hand downs from my father, but I never spend more than $15 for a tie.
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This graph is kind of weird because, from what I understand, the top 0.1% is really driving inequality. And that group is part of both the "Top 5%" line and part of the "Top Quintile" line. In other words, that's not a good graph for understanding the data. Of course, your point still stands either way.
Last edited by: SH: Sep 1, 17 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't the lower income groups get more back in retirement(SSI) than paid in compared to higher income groups. I would also bet disability payments go disproportionately to lower income folk. Lastly, keep in mind, more higher income folks are self employed than lower income folks so they are paying both sides to the payroll tax vs. an employer covering it.

Income taxes are a bit more "pure". Just so you know Medicare isn't capped anymore.
Last edited by: blueraider_mike: Sep 1, 17 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
As alluded to in a different thread I'm looking to buy a house. Property taxes are usually more than the mortgage would be. 'Nuff said

Holy hell, how much are property taxes there? I pay under $4000 a year. That would be just over 4 months mortgage.

There are a few places in the US have really high property taxes: NY/NJ and IL are some.
Example: An assessed house @ $250k here in a Mass town is taxed at $4200
A house priced at $250k on Long Island is taxed at $8200
A house priced at $215k in a southern exburb of Chicago is taxed at $6400

That house on Long Island, with a decent down payment, would be pretty equal PI_I vs. T.
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a big enough down payment anybody's tax would be higher than their mortgage payment.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BK, during your first iteration here you cut and pasted from right wing sites to begin threads. you've fallen into that pattern again. i don't mind you being right wing. or left wing. what i mind is hosting a landfill where secondhand propaganda gets dumped.

i don't mind hosting a landfill. i don't mind propaganda getting dumped. what i mind is when it's someone else's propaganda. it needs to be your propaganda, from your brain.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but with that LI house, that point is only about 30% down. Bigger than usual, but not huge.
Quote Reply
Re: BLS Data: Americans Spend More on Taxes Than Food and Clothing Combined [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
I not sure the median or average makes sense since the bulk of the taxes are paid by the top 20%. I think you have to look at this stuff in income groups.

It's true that high-income Americans pay most income taxes. Below, how the government is funded:

Who pays taxes? The rich, mostly?

Um, so your first graph shows a substantial portion of total revenue coming from payroll taxes (~33 vs 47%, paid moreso by blue-collar wage earners since it gets capped beyond a certain income, as opposed to those w/ more investment income and the like), and then you try to follow it up with a graph of just income taxes to show that it's mostly the rich paying it all? I thought you were smarter than that.

Leaving aside Mr. Slowman's judgment that my "propaganda" is both second-hand and possibly right-wing, ideologically speaking ;-), I think that "payroll taxes" are those paid for by both employers and employees (FICA, etc.) as well as a portion of income taxes. That's what the first chart illustrates (and I saw the "payroll tax" section right off the bat). My thoughts on that:

If you're self-employed, you pay both sides of the payroll tax equation, though, and many of the so-called "rich" are self-employed, it seems to me, or are high-earner/highly taxed persons. (Also, in parts of the country, especially the coastal Northeast cities and out in California, in the coastal enclaves, $250K to $500K yearly isn't really "rich rich," if you know what I mean.)

As someone here (Mr. Schroeder I think) pointed out: we have a progressive tax system, so of course the rich would pay more in taxes (which the second Pew chart illustrates), both as a flat figure and in terms of percentage, at least in the U.S. Being fair-minded, I would ask whether or not they're paying a share proportionate to what they're earning in the aggregate. They might not be, actually.

Also, there seem to be a wide swath of taxpayers today either not paying anything or paying very little. This is another reason why I'm in favor of a vastly more simplified tax code, or even a flat tax

Honestly, I think the two charts complement each other. I get the sense that the group here is evenly divided, though. Half maybe feel threatened by the proposition that perhaps we're paying more in taxes, as a "consumer unit," especially over the last three years (2013 to 2016) - and why the plain fact that we're paying more taxes, generally speaking, over the last several years is somehow an "ideological" statement is beyond me, and it's certainly not a criticism of previous tax policy on the part of any president or Congress -- and half maybe want to batten on the data contained in the OP to support their position that the "rich" are paying too much in tax.

Here's my position on this issue:

Every person, or "consumer unit," has to have some skin in the taxpaying game, even if it's just paying $1 in tax annually. No more mortgage interest deduction or property tax deduction. No real personal deductions at all (except for maybe the charitable deduction). No more tax credits, no more massive tax refunds (because a fairer, flatter tax would eliminate such a thing), no more any of that.

To do the above requires a comprehensive reconfiguration of our tax system to make it both fairer and more equitable. But the fact is, we have far too many people not paying enough in tax, and too few of the higher earners paying too much (and that's not a contradiction of what I wrote above). Corporate-tax-wise, business may not be paying enough tax, either.

None of the above, to me, is equitable whether or not the higher-earning cohort can afford it or not. But I suppose all those filled-with-white-guilt rich liberals won't support such a thing, right up until a modern-day version of the French Revolution's "Terror" is upon them, n'cest ce pas? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Sep 1, 17 9:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next