Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Two things came to mind when reading your post:

1) That is awful and I hope you are able to get some sort of compensation

2) When Ironman reps read your letter they were probably seeing dollar signs and how they could create a new type of entry: VIP transition spots with security, dedicated bike mechanic, plenty of room, closest to the Bike Out, etc...

You had to say it out loud, didn't you? If they weren't thinking about it before, they probably are, now. And, sadly, it would probably sell out.

Hell, there'd probably be a few takers for ultra-VIP transition service with butler service. "Nice ride, sir; here's a cold damp towel to refresh your face. and a mint to refresh your breath. I'll have your cycling kit laundered and your bike shoes shined by the time you finish the run. And should any low-life chatel from the steerage class transition spots try to touch your bike, or even look at it for too long, I'll billy club them for you"

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 31, 17 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Jason N wrote:
In theory, you could find a very thin cable and run them through the front of each pedal, and through the frame to lock them? I wouldn't want to mess with that coming out of the water, especially if you forgot about it until the mount line...

All you need is a little deterrent. I'm going to bring a car battery to T1 (don't worry, it'll be dead), and loop the leads around the frame and attach it to the pedals.

Umm, it doesn't matter if the battery is dead or not. You can touch both terminals with thumb and pinky and not feel a thing. 12V with huge capacity is still 12V and will not shock anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Jason N wrote:
In theory, you could find a very thin cable and run them through the front of each pedal, and through the frame to lock them? I wouldn't want to mess with that coming out of the water, especially if you forgot about it until the mount line...

All you need is a little deterrent. I'm going to bring a car battery to T1 (don't worry, it'll be dead), and loop the leads around the frame and attach it to the pedals.

Umm, it doesn't matter if the battery is dead or not. You can touch both terminals with thumb and pinky and not feel a thing. 12V with huge capacity is still 12V and will not shock anyone.

Yeah but everyone's watched an interrogation movie and knows once you attach the clips people scream! (and don't be such a literal party pooper... dragging a car battery to T1, LOL)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 31, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Jason N wrote:

Yeah but everyone's watched an interrogation movie and knows once you attach the clips people scream! (and don't be such a literal party pooper... dragging a car battery to T1, LOL)

...or Bad Santa when they zap Bernie Mac. A classic gag, for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may fill the allen bolts of my P1's with epoxy to deter this. You could reasonably remove the epoxy at home but it would be a PITA for any theif in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
forget 12 v stuff! Get one of these:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/...charger?cm_vc=-10005

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I may fill the allen bolts of my P1's with epoxy to deter this. You could reasonably remove the epoxy at home but it would be a PITA for any theif in transition.

I'm thinking maybe melting some wax and filling the head would be easier to remove than epoxy.

This totally sucks for the OP, but now the rest of us with pedal power meters are going to worry a bit more while we are swimming. Not cool at all.

I actually left mine on in IMMT the night before with no problems. Got me thinking about what to do for Chatt though.
Last edited by: jagerbombster: Aug 31, 17 19:26
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Left my pedals (also powertap) on the bike at IM 70.3 Zell am see and was lucky to see them still attached but this seriously sucks for you man. Hope Ironman has the decency to provide a solution, they should when someone paus that amount of money just to enter!

Just some thoughts:

1. I'm thinking it was a volunteer, I just can't see how a competitor would come out of the water and use his tools to remove your pedals. I mean: where does he store the key? (Probably in his T1 bag?) and how does he know how much time he has?

2. At IM 70.3 Zell am see I noticed this aswell when picking up my bike: so many electronic tools still attached to everyone their bike. It seems crazy that these things don't happen more often since you could easily slip some of these things in your pockets.

3. What is the solution? Have a family member wait for you at the swim exit with pedals and electronic device? I mean, when hearing stuff like this I would really consider..

Hope it gets sorted out!
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Where do you store all of your training data? Is it possible for whatever site you use to track the serial number of the pedals and let you know if someone else starts uploading data from a set of pedals with the same serial number? I seem to remember someone doing that with a Garmin Edge unit and Garmim connect, but I could be mistaken.

I've been wondering the same thing. All devices have an identifier (ANT+ id, etc), as does your Garmin bike computer. Someone that serves as the data hub (e.g., Garmin Connect) would know if someone were trying to register your bike computer or uploaded data with your connected device if there were a device service to report thefts. It would then be easy enough to reject any data coming from a stolen device, and furthermore obtain location and other data to locate the user of the purloined device.

Maybe it exists already; if not, it should. It would be a way more effective deterrent than installing cameras in T1. "I bought these pedals on eBay, but now none of my workouts upload to Strava. What gives?"

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Seems a bit extreme (paranoid) based on one report of missing pedals world wide.

Some times bad things happen, that's life. For someone with the resources to do an Ironman, a missing set of pedals doesn't seem like a huge deal. The definition of a first world problem. I've been in this sport a long time, instances of transition theft are incredibly rare.[/quote]
It is not only the pedals (EUR 1200), but also the inscription to the race (ca. EUR 800 through Nirvana), Hotel + Plane + 1 year of specific training for that race in Germany......
Of course there are much more worse things in life, but when I pay for the "best" event, I want the best quality.
Perhaps the "transition theft" turns to be a profitable new trend......
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [GogiraldezGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's hard to get Ironman to cover the cost of new pedals but what about insurance? As long as the transition area is secure enough that any theft is covered by insurance I think we should be happy.

With regards to the P1 pedals. Since it's bluetooth, wouldn't a unique pairing code solve the problem? If you have to use this code when pairing the pedals to your computer the pedals would be useless to anyone steeling them.
Same goes with di2 equipment. If you could turn on a safety feature that each time you have charged your system you have to unlook it thru the e-tube app? Since this is kind of inconvenient it should possibly be an optional feature but I believe the knowledge of it being out there would reduce the risk of theft.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
TriStart wrote:
stevej wrote:
How is ironman supposed to police that after transition opens?

Camera surveillance. Not too many cameras should be able to cover everything, then camera at entrance and exit. In that case they would be able to look back, he would know where his bike was and just watch what happens there and follow the person to entrance or exit to get a good faceshot and hopefully racenumber. That shouldn't be too hard.

Have you seen how big some of the race's transition are? You can put up a bunch of camera's but there's still a chance that someone could be hiding behind someone else or its some weird angle that you can't see definitive proof of malice. I'm not saying camera's shouldn't be used. It's just that it's not going to be 100% effective. At the end of the day, we must police our sport. That's the best way to get rid of this behavior.

And camera's don't prevent someone from doing something. They are only good for after the fact. It will still suck for whomever's race gets ruined.

Nothing will be perfect, and I agree policing by competitors is a good tool. But athletes during their own race typically don't have much attention outside their own little bubble. Cameras would have a deterrent effect too, and everything helps. Luckily incidents like this are still rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What could be a solution is for pedals to need a special unique tool, like you get with a car's alloy wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote teinvall
With regards to the P1 pedals. Since it's bluetooth, wouldn't a unique pairing code solve the problem? If you have to use this code when pairing the pedals to your computer the pedals would be useless to anyone steeling them.[/quote]
Also ANT+. You do not need any special key or handshake to receive this signal. Perhaps if BT completely takes over, then that is possible.

Also, I do not believe the original FIT data logs the ANT+ ID. It may, but I do not see it on the GC 'edit' tab anywhere.

I don't put much hope here. Garmins go missing all the time and nothing happens if you report them lost/stolen. They certainly know any time someone would later upload data from that device.

srshaw wrote:

What could be a solution is for pedals to need a special unique tool, like you get with a car's alloy wheels.

Unique to each set? That would be a real headache to Saris. Everyday getting calls: "I lost my key and need a replacement." "Ok, that'll be $20." "What?!? Give it free!" "Well, we have to remachine it out, since it is unique to you and we are actually losing money at $20, but do it as a service." "Why not just use allen key?"

...or, if they are non-standard, then you would just get the same issue with most car locking nuts. All the wheel thieves carry around a set of cheap and easy to obtain securi-keys.

But solution I have heard so far is some sort of plug. I think wax is the best. You would need to spend several minutes picking it out...not likely when there are a dozen other bikes with P1s and exposed bolts. Remember, the key here is that you don't need to be the most secure, just not the least secure.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [PaulVlitsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulVlitsky wrote:
1. I'm thinking it was a volunteer, I just can't see how a competitor would come out of the water and use his tools to remove your pedals. I mean: where does he store the key? (Probably in his T1 bag?) and how does he know how much time he has?

2. At IM 70.3 Zell am see I noticed this aswell when picking up my bike: so many electronic tools still attached to everyone their bike. It seems crazy that these things don't happen more often since you could easily slip some of these things in your pockets.

A volunteer is a good guess, but my money is on another competitor and that it happened after the P1 owner left transition for the swim, but before the race began. Plenty of competitors in transition up until it closes tinkering with their bikes so it would not be too suspicious at this time. I have a hard time believing this occurred mid race.

While this is terrible, this seems like a pretty isolated incident. If transition theft were a major issue, we would see a lot more computers going missing. Stealing pedals is a bit of a project. Stealing a garmin off a quarter turn mount would be very easy and you could probably get a whole row's worth of computers before being noticed.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [GogiraldezGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During Ironman Mallorca 2016 power-pedals of my friend also were stolen.
The thief even had replaced them by regular ones, so the athlete successfully finished the race.
Last edited by: NickMa: Sep 1, 17 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way. Did he realize this immediately ? That's out of control
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he did realize quickly.
But no luck in finding a theft or receiving compensation :(
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals stolen in T1!!!!!! Is this IRONMAN? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Two things came to mind when reading your post:

1) That is awful and I hope you are able to get some sort of compensation

2) When Ironman reps read your letter they were probably seeing dollar signs and how they could create a new type of entry: VIP transition spots with security, dedicated bike mechanic, plenty of room, closest to the Bike Out, etc...

You had to say it out loud, didn't you? If they weren't thinking about it before, they probably are, now. And, sadly, it would probably sell out.

Hell, there'd probably be a few takers for ultra-VIP transition service with butler service. "Nice ride, sir; here's a cold damp towel to refresh your face. and a mint to refresh your breath. I'll have your cycling kit laundered and your bike shoes shined by the time you finish the run. And should any low-life chatel from the steerage class transition spots try to touch your bike, or even look at it for too long, I'll billy club them for you"

I have to admit that I got a good laugh at your comment, but I don't know why since Ironman is almost there. We are all aware of the VIP Race Day package or VIP Medal package you can buy for your spouse. But did you know that they offered a VIP Athlete package for this month's Ironman Wisconsin? Sold out too! It's not much of a leap to add the additional "services" that you mentioned for future Ironman races.

Athlete VIP - SOLD OUT
Upgrade Your Race Experience at IRONMAN Wisconsin
From no-wait Athlete Check-In to Post Race Massage - we have you covered!
Includes:
  • Express Athlete Check-in/Registration
  • Race Week VIP Gear Check
  • Trek Bicycles Headquarters: Private Design Build Tour & Lunch - Friday September 8th, 2017
  • Early Bike Check-In Hours
  • On-Site Bike Tune-Up from Trek
  • Athlete VIP Lounge inside Monona Terrace on Race Day–
  • Light breakfest, Gear Check, Post-Race Massage and Changing Areas
  • Access to VIP Spectator Hospitality Areas Pre- & Post-Race
  • VIP gift bag

Quote Reply

Prev Next