Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feeling awful on bike after swimming
Quote | Reply
Hey guys!

I just finished my 5th triathlon season, and every since I remember, I've been struggling with cycling after swimming in the races. I am a pretty good swimmer (personal best on 70.3 is 26' 20", and I don't use my legs at all), which doesn't seem to drain all of my energy - I can run pretty fast in the transition. However, once I get on a bike, I just cannot generate the watts I've been expecting: the power is around 15% less than what I expect, and what seems to be comfortable on training (I can do 5x20' on 250W with 2' break between), and doing 240W almost seems to be impossible. It feels like I've been after marathon, and my leg muscle hurt. It got to the point, that on my last race (Zell am see), I couldn't even cross 270W on the uphill section.

After the bike is over, I can run pretty fast, and the feeling is really good.

On normal training days, when I am swimming and running with a short break between (4hrs), my HR is up to 10% increased than what it usually is during run.

Does any of you have similar problem? I've talked to my friends,and they all tell me that once they get on the bike, they feel very good.
Last edited by: nobel: Aug 31, 17 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling awful on bike after swimming [nobel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nobel wrote:
Hey guys!

I just finished my 5th triathlon season, and every since I remember, I've been struggling with cycling after swimming in the races. I am a pretty good swimmer (personal best on 70.3 is 26' 20", and I don't use my legs at all), which doesn't seem to drain all of my energy - I can run pretty fast in the transition. However, once I get on a bike, I just cannot generate the watts I've been expecting: the power is around 15% less than what I expect, and what seems to be comfortable on training (I can do 5x20' on 250W with 2' break between), and doing 240W almost seems to be impossible. It feels like I've been after marathon, and my leg muscle hurt. It got to the point, that on my last race (Zell am see), I couldn't even cross 270W on the uphill section.

On normal training days, when I am swimming and running with a short break between (4hrs), my HR is up to 10% increased than what it usually is during run.

Does any of you have similar problem? I've talked to my friends,and they all tell me that once they get on the bike, they feel very good.

I do. For me it's not about the inability to generate power - my legs feel fine and strong, but I usually "feel" awful when I get on the bike. Bloated, HR up, more tired than I should, etc...

I am not a good swimmer at all, quite the opposite (30-31min HIM), but that feeling you have is usually the case of just swimming too hard. I realized that if I swim a little more relaxed, I can lose say 1 min on the swim but feel great the whole bike leg and that's a deal I'll take any time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these predominantly wetsuit swims? I have this issue sometimes when water is close to legal limit, I tend to overheat a bit and then I feel like crap on the bike. By best bike splits have been in non wetsuit races. When I overheat on the swim I can barely hold 250W in an Oly and my FTP is around 315-320.

nobel wrote:
Hey guys!

Quote Reply
Re: Feeling awful on bike after swimming [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you swim hard, the lactate from your swimming muscles enters the general blood circulation and your not being used leg muscles take it up and process that lactate.
That is what gives you the brick feeling when you get on the bike or start the run after the bike.
All those unused muscles are busy and quite acidic.
Don't swim beyond your capabilities and kick for the last few hundred meters before transition.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling awful on bike after swimming [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vittorio wrote:

I am not a good swimmer at all, quite the opposite (30-31min HIM), but that feeling you have is usually the case of just swimming too hard. I realized that if I swim a little more relaxed, I can lose say 1 min on the swim but feel great the whole bike leg and that's a deal I'll take any time.

That's what I was thinking as well. I will try to do it in the next season.

sp1ke wrote:
Are these predominantly wetsuit swims? I have this issue sometimes when water is close to legal limit, I tend to overheat a bit and then I feel like crap on the bike. By best bike splits have been in non wetsuit races. When I overheat on the swim I can barely hold 250W in an Oly and my FTP is around 315-320.

I've never done non-wetsuit swim. That may also be a variable. However, I can't think of anything besides changing the wetsuit to sleeveless one.

lyrrad wrote:
When you swim hard, the lactate from your swimming muscles enters the general blood circulation and your not being used leg muscles take it up and process that lactate. That is what gives you the brick feeling when you get on the bike or start the run after the bike. All those unused muscles are busy and quite acidic. Don't swim beyond your capabilities and kick for the last few hundred meters before transition.

So pretty much slow down on the swim, and then hope for better feelings on the bike. I will give it a shot. How 'hard' are you pushing yourself in the water? Is it 100% effort?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not an issue that I've really run into but generally personally. Try starting with a higher cadence on the bike for the first 5 minutes at a speed you are comfortable (is going to give you the bike split you are aiming for) with to get the legs moving. This might help along with the advice to start using your legs a bit more when you are getting closer to the end of the swim.

Another thing to try is some swim/bike bricks. Depending on where you are this can be difficult to execute. I would do more myself but the area that I am in now isn't very easy to do this.
Quote Reply