Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You
Quote | Reply
Another one I thought the science was settled on. Looks like it isn't so settled after all.

"Low-fat diets could raise the risk of early death by almost one quarter, a major study has found.

The Lancet study of 135,000 adults found those who cut back on fats had far shorter lives than those enjoying plenty of butter, cheese and meats.

Researchers said the study was at odds with repeated health advice to cut down on fats."

Food Nazis of the world have a lot to answer for. ;-)

Low-fat diet could kill you, major study shows

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last paragraph said the recommendation was for a balanced diet "based on starchy carbohydrates"

Wow! I hadn't heard of anybody saying that more potatoes, rice, and pasta needed to be consumed in a long time...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
The last paragraph said the recommendation was for a balanced diet "based on starchy carbohydrates"

Wow! I hadn't heard of anybody saying that more potatoes, rice, and pasta needed to be consumed in a long time...

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head, too. Just goes to show that we pretty much don't know nearly anything as far as general dietary habits should go. I read an article earlier today about a 107-year-old woman who's a regular scotch drinker and who credits her long life to not only that, but a hearty appetite.

All I know at this point is that sugar's probably the weapons-grade killer in the deck, but as to the other cards? Not sure we can say with any certainty anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tide turned against the "low fat" recommendations a LONG time ago. Only recently did it turn against the "healthy" fats, too. But more carbs? I can do that!

Ps I am an expert because i have read a bunch of crap on the internetz!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Just goes to show that we pretty much don't know nearly anything as far as general dietary habits should go.

So we know nothing about diet with a sample size of millions but we are evidently certain about how the universe was created based on a sample size of 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Just goes to show that we pretty much don't know nearly anything as far as general dietary habits should go.

So we know nothing about diet with a sample size of millions but we are evidently certain about how the universe was created based on a sample size of 1.

Huh? I don't follow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Huh? I don't follow.

Just go along with it. Trust me, (my friend), it was brilliant.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

Look up Dr Macdougall - he's written several books on this. It's a vegan diet that heavy on starches (potatoes and rice).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Coffee and now Carbs! I might live forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he (she) means sample size of one universe. It's hard to know much with certainty when you can't perform randomized controlled studies.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it's been shown that vegan diets are bad for your health since meat has essentials not easily derived from plant based diets. Personally I eat vegan nearly every day, generally medium rare unless I'm having hamburger.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you buy your vegans? Or do you go out and harvest your own?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Where do you buy your vegans? Or do you go out and harvest your own?

I prefer hobos more. But they don't catch themselves, believe me. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a bit of both! Some from the store and some direct from natures supermarket! Looks like moose is on the menu this fall!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I think he (she) means sample size of one universe. It's hard to know much with certainty when you can't perform randomized controlled studies.

Yeah but the person isn't thinking clearly. I'm not sure we really know anything about HOW the Universe was created. We know a fair amount about what happened once it came into existence. In essence we know the history of the Universe. Obviously you can't do randomized control studies for historical phenomena of this sort but that doesn't stop people from discovering information about dinosaurs, the Roman Empire and the Cosmos.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

Yeah but the person isn't thinking clearly. I'm not sure we really know anything about HOW the Universe was created. We know a fair amount about what happened once it came into existence. In essence we know the history of the Universe. Obviously you can't do randomized control studies for historical phenomena of this sort but that doesn't stop people from discovering information about dinosaurs, the Roman Empire and the Cosmos.

You do realise you just about quoted me verbatim? I said how and how only. You don't get to extrapolate my thoughts. ;)

Oh and BK just in case, I was not implying 'you'.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

You do realise you just about quoted me verbatim? I said how and how only. You don't get to extrapolate my thoughts. ;)

Who is certain about how the Universe was created other than certain religious types which wouldn't seem to have anything to do with science?
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:

Who is certain about how the Universe was created other than certain religious types which wouldn't seem to have anything to do with science?

We have pretty good theories -- backed by reproducible scientific experiments as well as physics at a level I can't even begin to comprehend -- as to how the universe began. We also have a pretty good idea of the rate at which it's expanding as well as the galaxies and observable other matter within it (which is actually pretty small, relatively speaking).

Personally, I'm comfortable with where we're at in terms of understanding our universe, which we get better at with each passing day and each new scientific discovery about it.

Rome wasn't built in a day (or even 6 days ;-), after all, and neither was the universe. We'll get there someday, no doubt. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stuff is such bullshit.

I just did the online questionnaire for my health insurer to get a premium reduction. I'm 5'10", 135. Blood sugar is awesome. Cholesterol magnificent. Blood pressure great. By all measures, I'm very healthy.

At the end of the survey, though, it "suggested" I eat less fat. Ya know, because I answered the question, "How many times a day do you eat fats (milk, cheese, meat, eggs)" with 5 or more.

Yeah, every single one of my meals contains fats. Shocker. But when they create this stuff for the masses, they have to make it so generic, it loses all value.

Moderation people.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're 5'10" and 135 lbs? You do know that's not necessarily a healthy weight right?
Quote Reply
Re: Eat Low Fat and It Could Kill You [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
You're 5'10" and 135 lbs? You do know that's not necessarily a healthy weight right?

Ectomorph. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply