Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard
Quote | Reply
You will strip the threads on your non-Scott bike and fork if you mix Scott's thru axle with other ones. Disc brakes are a pain. How many disc brake "standards" are there now? 1000?

Quote:
The new Foil has some nice details throughout the frameset. It has followed the usual thru-axle format (100×12 front 142x12mm rear axle). However, it uses a 1.5mm pitch (standard is 1mm), with more pitch meaning fewer turns to remove the axel for faster wheel changes – a nice idea.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ws/scott-foil-348082
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
You will strip the threads on your non-Scott bike and fork if you mix Scott's thru axle with other ones. Disc brakes are a pain. How many disc brake "standards" are there now? 1000?

Quote:
The new Foil has some nice details throughout the frameset. It has followed the usual thru-axle format (100×12 front 142x12mm rear axle). However, it uses a 1.5mm pitch (standard is 1mm), with more pitch meaning fewer turns to remove the axel for faster wheel changes – a nice idea.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ws/scott-foil-348082

Stupid

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Stupid

Yeah, especially in light of the fact that Scott already has existing road bikes with disc brake they axles using 1 mm pitch threads that will be stripped of you use their new thru axle. Better take another few minutes to question neutral support next you get a wheel change on top of all the time already wasted changing wheels with disc brakes and stocking up the stupid amount of variations you would even need to do neutral support for discs.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't a new pitch. In fact, I have a bike with this pitch. DT Swiss sells their RWS thru axles in 1.5 and 1.0 pitch. There is also a 1.75 pitch out there. I haven't see a bike with 1.75 but Kurt Kinetic sells that pitch for their traxle so someone must use it.

This isn't really an issue because unless you lose your thru axle it stays with the bike during wheel changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rockshox and Fox axles are different, there are many rear axles depending on frame manufacturer.

But it doesn't matter one iota, the through axle stays with the frame or fork, not the wheel.
The wheel just has a simple hole through it and it cares nothing of what type shaft it gets as long as it is the right diameter.
All that maters is that all road bikes have agreed to use 12mm through axles.

You road only guys just winge at everything.

Why is that MTB riders can mostly all do a fork service but a road bike rider cannot even manage to change their own brake pads or put a bloody wheel on straight.?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's not tell them about flat vs. conical bolt heads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybrid,

We understand you don't like disc brakes. I sincerely wish you would find it within yourself to not post all your criticism about disc brakes. I don't post all of my criticisms of rim brakes because it doesn't make this or any other forum a great place. No one wants to have second thoughts about the brakes they use, so just stop.

We also realize there are different standards in disc brakes and all of us which they would standardize the pitch. 1.5 is used by DT Swiss thru-axles so Scott is not doing anything to add to the lack of a standard. I would love to see the pitch standardized, but I also suspect that even if this happens, it would not end your aversion to disc brakes.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

I am now riding 5 bikes that are disk and two that are not. I expect the two rim brakes bikes to eventually go away. That TT bike will be slowest to go but after spending two hours trying to get the TT brakes right, I am ready to let that go quite quickly.

The disks just work better. Hands down simpler and better braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like the outrage on electronic shifting, people will eventually accept disc brakes just as they accepted electronic shifting.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Just like the outrage on electronic shifting, people will eventually accept disc brakes just as they accepted electronic shifting.

And you will also get electric motors with batteries built into the Kamm Tail downtubes as standard.

Bikes are just getting needlessly complex. What happened to the days you could just ride your bike without having to fixed the warped disc on it each ride and wait for it to charge?
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Aug 30, 17 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Complaining about the non-standard thread pitch of a thru-axle is about as relevant as complaining that the seatpost in my new Felt won't fit in my Trek. I'm not sure how many times I have taken thru-axles out of a mountain bike in the last 5 years (I'm guessing it's into the thousands) and I can honestly say I have never wanted to try and put that thru axle into another frame. I don't see me ever wanting disc brakes on my road bikes, but that has nothing to do with thru-axle standards. And if other people do want disc brakes on their road bikes, good for them - nothing wrong with choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet mechanical set ups still everywhere. You seem to argue that non-disc brakes will be obsolete any day....they may be "coming" or even "here" but I rim brakes aren't disappearing anytime soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

And you will also get electric motors with batteries built into the Kamm Tail downtubes as standard.

Bikes are just getting needlessly complex. What happened to the days you could just ride your bike without having to fixed the warped disc on it each ride and wait for it to charge?

I rode those so called days.
Wheels were weak, we needed 36 spokes to make sure we got home.
Rim joins used to go thud thud thud through the brakes until you filed them down and just lived with the pulsing.
We guessed where the downtube levers should be to get a gear and bent out front derailleurs in all sorts of ways to get them to shift.
We had to line up the rear wheel in horizontal dropouts to get it in straight, nearly all handlebars creaked and brands like Cinelli used a very slightly different diameter to others so you had to get the right stem for the bars.
Nearly every bike come with 170mm cranks regardless of size and the 500 gram seats were bloody uncomfortable.
We got way more flats on simpler tyres and we used non stainless spokes that looked like crap after a while because stainless ones used to break.
Brakes never seemed to keep their centre and we used to take the cage out of headsets to fit more bearings in there because the tiny headsets never lasted more than a few months.
We did the same to bottom brackets but at least our efforts of putting bearings in one by one held in by grease made them last a reasonable time after that.
Steels frames were never longer than 58cm, they just went higher as they got so flexy they would throw you off at high speed and everybody new what a speed wobble was.
Our feet hurt in the straps and toeclips and clincher tyres all wobbled when they spun.
Gearing was 52 x 42 and 13-19 like it or lump it.

You haven't got an f'ing clue you dumb troll.
Last edited by: lyrrad: Aug 30, 17 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
And yet mechanical set ups still everywhere. You seem to argue that non-disc brakes will be obsolete any day....they may be "coming" or even "here" but I rim brakes aren't disappearing anytime soon

Good, I'm glad they are not going anywhere. More options are better for me. Bikes are just tools. If you don't want what a tool has to offer pick a different tool. The troll above can live with 2 speeds and friction shifters if he pines for simpler times. I want cool stuff tailored for my application.

I have 4 bikes. I have disk brakes on 3; they are better bikes **FOR ME** and what I use them for than the same bike with rim brakes. I have a junky commuter with rim brakes. I sold my last real bike with rim brakes about 6 hours ago because it hadn't been off the trainer in a year. If your bike usage is better with rim brakes then there are plenty of options for you. Don't worry about it.

Even with 3 bikes, three different rear thru axle standards, and two different front axle standards, I can switch wheels between bikes without any problems and I have managed to not strip anything so far. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
I rode those so called days.
Wheels were weak, we needed 36 spokes to make sure we got home.
Rim joins used to go thud thud thud through the brakes until you filed them down and just lived with the pulsing.
We guessed where the downtube levers should be to get a gear and bent out front derailleurs in all sorts of ways to get them to shift.
We had to line up the rear wheel in horizontal dropouts to get it in straight, nearly all handlebars creaked and brands like Cinelli used a very slightly different diameter to others so you had to get the right stem for the bars.
Nearly every bike come with 170mm cranks regardless of size and the 500 gram seats were bloody uncomfortable.
We got way more flats on simpler tyres and we used non stainless spokes that looked like crap after a while because stainless ones used to break.
Brakes never seemed to keep their centre and we used to take the cage out of headsets to fit more bearings in there because the tiny headsets never lasted more than a few months.
We did the same to bottom brackets but at least our efforts of putting bearings in one by one held in by grease made them last a reasonable time after that.
Steels frames were never longer than 58cm, they just went higher as they got so flexy they would throw you off at high speed and everybody new what a speed wobble was.
Our feet hurt in the straps and toeclips and clincher tyres all wobbled when they spun.
Gearing was 52 x 42 and 13-19 like it or lump it.

You haven't got an f'ing clue you dumb troll.

So much gold in this post that I had completely forgotten about!! Making shims out of Coke cans to get Cinelli Bars to stay put in a 3T stem (or was it the other way round?!)!!! I hadn't remembered that for 30 years!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daily driver is 1x, disc, tubeless and front and rear thru axles

I ride it every day every where on roads, paths, gravel and single track

I NEVER touch the brakes to adjust. It takes no more turns to remove the front than a QR does to get over the safety dropout.

It is the most no-brainer piece of kit i have ever bought with braking performance comparable to a mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

The same amount as before your uninformed post.

There isn't a standard thread pitch for thru axles. Anybody who has owned or worked on two or more mountain bikes knows this. Every minimum wage, know-nothing LBS mechanic we like to reference on ST knows this. It still boggles my mind that the big aero test we gave so much attention (and money) to was run by experts who didn't know how to attach thru axle bikes to a mount or that different pitches even existed for thru axles.

Lyrrad's responses are great. Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
What happened to the days you could just ride your bike without having to fixed the warped disc on it each ride and wait for it to charge?

Wow ... seriously? Been riding disc brakes on gravel for a year now and have a road bike with discs that has a few thousand on it. Been riding Di2 since it came out years ago now. I've NEVER had to true a warped disc. And I've NEVER "HAD TO" charge my Di2 because it was about to die. As long as I remember to plug it in once every few weeks, I don't have to worry about it beyond that. It's not a big deal at all.

You are, apparently, COMPLETELY ignorant about disc brakes and electronic shifting. And yet, you felt compelled to comment here. Interesting.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that Cycling Weekly might be wrong on this for the road side of things. The Shimano E-Thru standard that both my disc brake bikes follow is 1.5mm pitch with the 100x12mm and 142x12mm axles. These would be the Giant TCR Disc and a BMC Teammachine Disc. I can use the manufacturer-included thru-axles as well as a couple of low-profile aftermarket ones from Carbon-Ti and KCNC interchangeably. So in my experience, Scott is aligned to other manufacturers on the road range.

Hope this information helps clarify the industry trend as I see it.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Bikes Introduce Yet Another Disc Brake Thru-Axle Standard [transistor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that Scott are built by Giant, makes sense that they share thru axles just as they share BB standards.
Quote Reply