Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb)
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rotor 3d+ goes in increments of 5mm down to 150, and will fit a bunch of power meters.

Quarq /sram have a 162.5
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rotor
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/

I ordered a set of 145mm sram compact from him and they look great. Any custom length you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor is probably your best choice. 24mm direct swap for Shimano to boot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please explain why you think that they are optimal for your needs.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 155 Rotor 3D+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you go square taper?

These have all sizes down to 130mm! I've used the 155s before...but that was a 1x

http://www.ebay.com/...YFhQvTkHEPjsI5O5oxzw

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote jeremyb][font "Arial"]Can you go square taper?[/font]
[font "Arial"]
[/font]
[font "Arial"]These have all sizes down to 130mm! I've used the 155s before...but that was a 1x
[/font]

[font "Arial"][url "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinz-Crank-Arms-Square-110BCD-Pick-Your-Size-/262911089541?var=&hash=item3d36b8db85:m:mssYFhQvTkHEPjsI5O5oxzw"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinz-Crank-Arms-Square-110BCD-Pick-Your-Size-/262911089541?var=&hash=item3d36b8db85:m:mssYFhQvTkHEPjsI5O5oxzw[/url][/font][/quote]

My experience is that square taper BBs are superior to anything else.

I have custom square taper cranks in 150 and 160 sizes that I am willing to sell. Pm me if you're interested.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velo Orange has some good BBs, even a threadless square taper---works for any BB threading, even a frame with damaged threads.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/bottom-brackets.html

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Sep 7, 17 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Rotor is probably your best choice. 24mm direct swap for Shimano to boot.

Does Rotor really make a 24mm spindle crank with shorter than 165mm arms? I just went through this exercise with my wife's bike and could only find the 3D+ in sub 165mm.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lightning
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, not a fan. I think that there is an optimal crank length per individual, based on body shape/ leg to torso ratio/ flexibility etc, but the current trend of all riders looking for cranks smaller than we ever used to ride (ie sub 170) seems like a fad. I mean, why not try 120mm cranks and spin like a maniac......

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those with friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only 3d+ but plenty of folks make a bb to fit any crank to any bb (like hawk racing, or ceramicspeed or kogel)
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bazilbrush wrote:
Nope, not a fan. I think that there is an optimal crank length per individual, based on body shape/ leg to torso ratio/ flexibility etc, but the current trend of all riders looking for cranks smaller than we ever used to ride (ie sub 170) seems like a fad. I mean, why not try 120mm cranks and spin like a maniac......

Lol, I actually tried 115mm for a short period of time. Long story though and was because my 145-165 range was broken on some Powercranks, but because of the adjustability I was able to use the 115 range while I waited for replacement parts.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Origin 8, if you can use a square taper bb

For the greatest variety of available lengths, and cheap to experiment, this is the way to go. Any shop that has access to J&B Importers will be able to get them.

(I can do that for you as well.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bazilbrush wrote:

Lol, I actually tried 115mm for a short period of time. Long story though and was because my 145-165 range was broken on some Powercranks, but because of the adjustability I was able to use the 115 range while I waited for replacement parts.

After learning about the idea of short cranks and reading Courtney Ogden's article having won a pro Ironman on 145 I sent him an email asking for advice and he said best to work it out for yourself. He has done an IM on 115. Alas after starting when cycling on a tt bike with 177.5 I went to 170 on my first tri bike 5 years ago and then to 165 thinking how did I ever live without these. I got a set of Rotor 150 and found too short over a 70.3 (or I hadn't conditioned enough) to keep the power on constantly and stressed my back. I ended up at 160 and thought how did I ever live without these and over time riding shorter cranks has bought my cadence down by about 15 rpm to low 80's being able to utilise more degrees of rotation in my pedal stroke rather than closing off especially my hip flexors. The shorter cranks allow me to get down in a more aero position too and hip flexor issues are gone for the same average power output.

http://courtneyogden.com/winning-an-ironman-on-145mm-cranks/
Quote Reply
Re: Who in the universe is making 160mm cranks? (Don't say Cobb) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bazilbrush wrote:

After learning about the idea of short cranks and reading Courtney Ogden's article having won a pro Ironman on 145 I sent him an email asking for advice and he said best to work it out for yourself. He has done an IM on 115. Alas after starting when cycling on a tt bike with 177.5 I went to 170 on my first tri bike 5 years ago and then to 165 thinking how did I ever live without these. I got a set of Rotor 150 and found too short over a 70.3 (or I hadn't conditioned enough) to keep the power on constantly and stressed my back. I ended up at 160 and thought how did I ever live without these and over time riding shorter cranks has bought my cadence down by about 15 rpm to low 80's being able to utilise more degrees of rotation in my pedal stroke rather than closing off especially my hip flexors. The shorter cranks allow me to get down in a more aero position too and hip flexor issues are gone for the same average power output.

http://courtneyogden.com/winning-an-ironman-on-145mm-cranks/

I am on a 162.5 and have been on a 162.5-165 for most of the past 5 years. I have played around with a 170, 172.5, and even 175 to gain a better perspective and try some other things out. I have been on 165 on my road bike and MTB for years as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply