Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Shoe Recommendation
Quote | Reply
Short Version: I need a zero or 4mm drop shoe with soft interior, no seams etc that is good for sockless running.

Long Version: I bought a pair of Zoot TT shoes probably 5 years ago when I decided to go sockless running for shorter distance triathlons and loved them. The upper has no seams so no blisters etc. and that worked very well for me. Recently, I switched to Altras (Torin and Escalante) for my everyday running and love the no drop shoes--work much better for me than Nikes, Asics etc. that had much more drop.

I am due for some new tri-only shoes. I will really only use these shoes for short distance tris so I expect them to last years. But there is no way I could run sockless with the Altra's. The Escalante, which is my favorite shoe, is very scratchy on the inside even with socks. There are still some older version Zoot TT's that are still available on certain websites, but those shoes are kinda dinosaurs now and I have gotten away from the 8 mm drop.

Any recommendations for shoes with little or no drop that have a sock-like interior that works well for sockless running (without having to condition my feet to sockless running)??
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 31, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Shoe Recommendation [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you said 0-4mm drop but how much cushion do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Shoe Recommendation [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light to medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That throws out the Merrell Vapor Gloves, they have pretty much no cushion (not really a tri shoe either). Hopefully somebody has ideas, I would be interested too. Altra made a tri shoe for awhile, but stopped. I liked the pair I had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out brooks pureflow 5. Probably the 6 too. I went with the 5 when I was looking for a shoe that had no seems so my feet didn't get torn up when running sockless. Bonus is they have a low drop and lightweight. I generally do every other or 3rd run without socks to get my feet used to it. I came from wave riders that shredded my feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of when people recommend things not sold anymore, but what you're asking for is hard to find. Zoots really hurt my lower legs and knees after doing the zero drop thing for a couple years.

For 10k and below, I stockpiled some pairs of the old Inov-8 Bare X Lite 150. They still pop up on Ebay here and there. I used them in two 70.3's in recent years, but my legs are just getting a little goofy that late in the day to use such minimal shoes. I used Torins with socks for a 70.3 on Sunday and wish I had used the Escalante.

I'm a 12.5 with socks in the Torin and Escalante, but 11.5 US (sockless) for that Inov-8.

The Escalante would be oh so close if the tongue was a one piece attached and they had those seams figured out. The way old 3-Sum had a fantastic upper. I really wish Altra would just make another tri shoe. Escalante bottom, 3-Sum upper, done.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Shoe Recommendation [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Escalante bottom is perfect for me and above Oly distance I would probably put on socks and run with those. I'll look for the ones you suggested . I don't an older model as these will last me 3-4 years since I put such little mileage on them
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 1, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the Bare X Lite 150's.

I have just about killed my 3rd pair and have a 4th in a box somewhere. They don't last more than a couple hundred miles, but they are super lightweight, have useful pull tabs, do well with elastic laces and there's nary a seam inside. Unless you're an 11.5 US....then they are horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Shoe Recommendation [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look like minimalist shoes. How does padding compare to escalante?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WAY less. True minimal shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Kinvara 7
Quote Reply