Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sram r2c aero shifter problem
Quote | Reply
Again, I seek your valuable wisdom…

'A' race is T-10 days and my front SRAM R2C aero shifter has become very stiff requiring considerable force to change gear. It feels like the shifter has been over-torqued (although they've never been adjusted). In addition, to change up to the big chain ring I’m required to pull the shifter leaver almost 90 degrees - it then does not return to centre.

This issue seemed to happen overnight, I did not notice a gradual increase in force required.
The local bike shop (SRAM dealership) cannot look until next Wednesday (4 days before race...)
So I am able to shift still but its less than ideal and I’m very concerned of a failure.

Has anyone encountered similar issues?

I’m contemplating buying a new pair of shifters and raising a warranty claim for the originals.

Thanks in advance,
Quote Reply
Re: sram r2c aero shifter problem [JimbobTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a little piece inside the shifter that can break or cause issues. I don't remember if that piece is replaceable or not.

Is it the actual sram one or the zipp version? Here is the rebuild kit. If it is the Sram one https://www.amazon.com/...ervice/dp/B0063HHSEK If you look around I think you can find it at a shop that will get it sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: sram r2c aero shifter problem [JimbobTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help with the cause but I think the sensible thing to do is mention your situation to the bike shop. Assuming it is the shifter, I'd ask whether they have a replacement part in stock. If they don't then do they have an alternative? I'm not sure how many bike shops keep a stock of bar end shifters. So if they needed to order a shifter would it arrive in time? If not is it worth buying one yourself now - as you say - so you are covered. As long as they have all the parts, or there is a contingency, then it will be easy for them to fix so you can relax. I don't think it's unreasonable to have that discussion with them.

I'd also give it a good clean and GT85 it all over the shifter and derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: sram r2c aero shifter problem [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Grant – I’ve ordered the parts with expedited shipping.
Little bit apprehensive about the installation but I’ve got time to give them a good test before race day.
Has anybody successfully repaired these before? Heard quite a few bad stories!
Quote Reply